Changes Related to Fatigue in Cardiorespiratory Response Sensitivity to Hypoxic and Hypercapnic Stimulation during Strenuous Physical Load
Languages of publication
Background: The aim was to study changes in the sensitivity of CRS responses of skilled athletes caused by fatigue during a strenuous physical load.Material/Methods: Response sensitivity to hypoxic and hypercapnic stimuli was analyzed in a group of high performance rowers (n=12) aged 18-22 years during exercising on "Concept-II" rowing ergometer. Two types of loads were used: sustained intensive load at high oxygen consumption (78-83% of VO2max) and relatively easier load (49-62% of VO2max) performed within 5 minutes. The method of rebreathing was used to determine responses sensitivity to CO2.Results: The results showed an increase in respiratory response sensitivity to hypoxia and a decrease in sensitivity to acidosis stimulus of respiration (CO2-H+) at the end of a strenuous load in presence of fatigue. Ventilatory response to hypoxic stimulus increased reliably before the end of work. At high intensity of loads during increment hypercapnia even in highly trained athletes the inhibition of ventilatory response has been notedConclusions: The data provide additional grounds for correction of fatigue by means of regulating the character and the intensity of physical loads in the process of endurance training. It has been shown that changes in sensitivity of CRS responses and other aspects of reactive features are of importance for special work capacity manifestations.
1 - 1 - 2009
3 - 11 - 2009
- Bearden SE, Henning PC, Bearden TA, Moffatt RJ. The slow component of VO2 kinetics in very heavy and fatiguing square-wave exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol 2004;91(5-6):586-594.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Burnley M, Jones A. Oxygen uptake kinetics as a determinant of sport performance. Eur J Sport Sci 2007;7(2):63-79.[Crossref]
- Bussotti M, Magri D, Previtali E, Agostoni P. End-tidal pressure of CO2 and exercise performance in healthy subjects. Eur J Appl Physiol 2008;103:727-732.
- Coyle EF, Feltner ME, Kautz SA. Physiological and biomechanical factors associated with elite endurance cycling performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1991;23:93-107.
- di Prampero PE. Factors limiting maximal performance in human. Eur J Appl Physiol 2003;90(3-4): 420-429.[Crossref]
- Forster HV, Pan LG. Breathing during exercise: demands, regulation, limitations (review). Adv Exp Med Biol 1988;227:257-326.
- Ohyabu Y, Usami A, Ohyabu I, Ishida Y, Miyagawa C, Arai T, Honda Y. Ventilatory and heart rate chemosensitivity in track-and-field athletes. Eur J Appl Physiol 1990;59:460-464.
- Tomiak T, Lysenko E, Zasada M. Fast kinetics and sensitivity of cardiorespiratory responses in athletes of different sport events. Research Yearbook 2005;11:25-29.
- Mines AH. Respiratory physiology. New York: Raven Press; 1993.
- Chua TP, Coats AJ. The reproducibility and comparability of tests of the peripheral chemoreflex: comparing the transient hypoxic ventilatory drive test and the single-breath carbon dioxide response test in healthy subjects. Eur J Clin Invest 1995;25(12):887-892.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Rebuck AS. Measurement of ventilatory response to CO2 by rebreathing. Chest 1976;70:118.
- Koehle MS, Sheel AW, Milsom WK, McKenzie DC. Two patterns of daily hypoxic exposure and their effects on measures of chemosensitivity in humans. J Appl Physiol 2007;103(6):1973-1978.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
- Im J, Nioka S, Chance B, Rundell KW, Muscle oxygen desaturation is related to whole body VO2 during cross-country ski skating. Int J Sports Med 2001 Jul;22(5):356-360.
- Mishchenko VS, Bulatova MM. Effect of endurance physical training on cardio-respiratory system reactive features (mechanisms of training load accumulation influence). J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1993;33(2):95-106.
- Kara T, Narkiewicz K, Somers VK. Chemoreflexes - physiology and clinical implications. Acta Physiol Scand 2003;177(3):377-384.
- Tong TK, Fu FH, Quach B, Lu K. Reduced sensations of intensity of breathlessness enhances maintenance of intense intermittent exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol 2004;92(3):275-284.[PubMed]
- Kato T, Tsukanaka A, Harada T, Kosaka M, Matsui N. Effect of hypercapnia on changes in blood pH, plasma lactate and ammonia due to exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol 2005;95(5-6):400-408.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Chicharro JL, Hoyos J, Lucía A. Effects of endurance training on the isocapnic buffering and hypocapnic hyperventilation phases in professional-cyclists. Br J Sports Med 2000; 34:450-455.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Ohyabu Y, Usami A, Ohyabu I, Ishida Y, Miyagawa C, Arai T, Honda Y. Ventilatory and heart rate chemosensitivity in track-and-field athletes. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1990;59(6):460-464.[Crossref][PubMed]
Publication order reference