Yoga training application in overweight control of seniors with arthritis/osteoarthritis
Languages of publication
The subject of the paper is oriented on problems of senior revitalization and joints healing. The study reports the application and evaluation of an interventional yoga program for seniors with overweight in arthritis or osteoarthritis combination. The aim of the study is to accomplish significant changes in overweight reduce, pain reduce and selfconcept optimization of participants after the yoga training. The experimental group (ES) was conducted from 58 persons from senior homes in the region of South Bohemia in Czech Republic. The control group (CS) was conducted from 54 persons from senior homes in the region of South Bohemia in Czech Republic. All the probands were disabled seniors with diagnosis of overweight with arthritis or osteoarthritis. ES and CS were compared before and after intervention movement program in somatic and psychological tests, e.g. BMI, measuring of diameters of 10 skin folds with callipers, self-perception gamut, and list of open sentences. In ES a significant discrepancy between input and check out BMI was perceptible. Significant positive changes in the reduction of diameters of 10 skin folds were recorded in female and male of ES after the yoga intervention. Psychological analyses after intervention movement program document shift from anxiety to state fair, from depressive moods to vitality, from fatigue to force and energy, from confusion and uncertainties to self-respect and self-esteem. The intervention program was running in three months cycles in several groups. Whole experiment was completed in one year.
1 - 04 - 2011
29 - 12 - 2012
-  Walsh L. ”One in Five Adults Has Arthritis”. MedPage Today, 2010. http://www.medpagetoday.com/Rheumatology/ Arthritis/22612.
-  Creamer P, Hochberg MC. Osteoarthritis. Lancet 1997, 350, 503-508.
-  Felson D. T. Weight and osteoarthritis. J. Rheumatol. 1995,43,7-9.
-  Carman W. J., Sowers M., Hawthorne V. M., Weissfeld LA: Obesity as a risk factor for osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist: a prospective study. Am. J. Epidemiol. 1994, 39,119-129.
-  Anderson J., Felson D.T. Factors associated with osteoarthritisof the knee in the First National Health andNutrition Examination (HANES I). Am. J. Epidemiol. 1988, 128,179-189.
-  Felson D. T. Chaisson CE: Understanding the relationshipbetween body weight and osteoarthritis. Baillieres Clinical Rheumatology, 1997, 11, 671-681.[Crossref]
-  Gorny M. Comments on the rehabilitation process insocial care homes, [in.] S. Kowalik, W. Dłużewska- Martyniec, Z. Zabor (ed.) - Rehabilitation in social carehomes. Jarogniewice: SPiSDPS.1998, 173-176.
-  Pisot R., Narici M., Simunic B., De Boer M. D., Seynnes O., Jurdana M., Biolo G., Mekjavic I. B. Whole musclecontractile parameters and thickness loss during 35-day bed rest. European journal of applied physiology, 2008, 104, 2, 409-414.[WoS]
-  Schouten J. S., Van den Ouweland F. A., Valkenburg H.A. A 12 year follow up study in the general populationon prognostic factors of cartilage loss in osteoarthritisof the knee. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1992, 51, 932-937.
-  Krejci M. Factors of self-control and self-esteem inoverweight reduction. Česke Budějovice: JU 2008, 27.
-  Krejci M. et al. Active life style and bio-psycho-socialdeterminants of health. Česke Budějovice: JU 2010,
-  Valkova H., Bortoli L., Robazza C. (Self-concept andSelf-efficacy. Differences between PE Teachers andPE Students. Acta Universitatis Palackianae Olomoucensis. Gymnica, 1995, 25, 1, 30-37.
-  Valkova H. Skutečnost nebo fikce? Olomouc: FTK UP 2001, 42.
-  Maheshwarananda, P.S. Yoga in daily life - the system. Vienna: IberaVerlag 2001, 34.
-  Khare K., C. & Kawathekar, G. Lean body mass andlipid profile in healthy person practicing yoga. Yoga Mimamsa; 2002, 34, 123-128.
-  Pawlow L. A., O’Neil P. M., Malcolm R. J. Night eating syndrome: Effects of brief relaxation training on stress,mood, hunger, and eating patterns. International Journal of Obesity, 2003, 27, 8, 970-978.
-  Čurdová J., Bartůňková S., Kopřivová J., &Krejčí M. Ageing and disability: Preliminary analysis of educationalstructures in a field of physical activity in theCzech Republic. In F. Vaverka (Ed.), Movement and health, 4th international conference: Proceedings Olomouc: Univerzita Palackého, 2005.
-  Raju P. S., Prasad K. V. V, Venkata-Ramana Y, Murthy K. J. R., Reddy M. V. Influence of intensive yoga trainingon physiological changes in 6 adult women: A case report. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine,1997, 3, 291-295.
Publication order reference