Quality of life, assertiveness, and personality dimensions in elderly men
Languages of publication
Study aim: To assess quality of life, assertiveness associated with aging personalities, and personality dimensions as related to age, highest level of qualification, and place of residence of elderly males.Material and methods: Elderly (n = 1269) men were chosen from the clubs for the elderly from settlements in one of the poorest counties in Hungary. The sample was divided into groups according to their age (60-69 years old; 70 years old and above), education (primary, secondary/higher), and place of residence (village-town). Quality of life was assessed by Quality of Life – OLD (WHOQOL-OLD), assertiveness was measured by the Rathus assertiveness schedule, and personality characteristics were measured by the Big Five Questionnaire.Results: Predominantly, relatively low levels of the quality of life, assertiveness, and personality of elderly males were noticed. In none of the scales, no significant gender- or education-related differences were found; however, men living in a town had higher (p<0.05) levels of Sociability (3.49 vs. 3.42), Emotions (3.01 vs. 2.94), Openness (3.18 vs. 3.08), and Conscientiousness (3.37 vs. 3.30) and lower levels of Self-efficacy (0.31 vs. 0.69) than those living in villages.Conclusions: Age and level of education do not seem to have a meaningful effect on elderly men’s quality of life, assertiveness, and personality characteristics; however, elderly living in villages have fewer opportunities for successful ageing.
1 - 1 - 2012
26 - 10 - 2012
- Gomez, V., F.Krings, A.Bangerter, A.Grob (2009) The influence of personality and life events on subjective well-being from a life span perspective. J.Res.Personal., 43, 345-354.
- Caprara G.V., C.Barbaranelli, L.Borgogni, M.Perugini (1993) The „Big Five Questionnaire”: A new questionnaire to assess the Five Factor Model. Pers.Indiv.Differ., 15:281-288.[Crossref]
- Chodzko-Zajko W.J. (1998) The physiology of aging and exercise. In: R.T.Cotton and C.Ekeroth (eds.) Exercise for Older Adults. Champaign IL., Human Kinetics, pp. 10-160.
- Costa P.T., R.R.McCrae (1992) Normal personality assessment in clinical practice: The NEO Personality Inventory. Psychol. Assessment, 4:5-13.[Crossref]
- Erikson E. (1968) Identity. Youth and Crisis, Norton.
- Gustavo V., M.Canas (2006) Old Age. Cambridge, UK.
- Kanning M., W.Schlicht (2007) A bio-psycho-social model of successful aging as shown through variable „physical activity”. Eur.Rev.Aging Phys.Act., 5:79-87.
- Kopp M., Á.Skrabski (1992) Hungarian mind. In the end. (In Hungarian), Budapest.
- Kullmann L., J.Harangozó (1999) Hungarian adaptation of WHO quality of life method (In Hungarian). OrvosiHetilap. 35:1947-1952.[PubMed]
- Srivastava S., O.P.John, S.D.Gosling, J.Potter (2003) Development of personality in early and middle adulthood: Set like plaster or persistent change? J.Pers.Soc.Psychol., 84:1041-1053.[Crossref]
- Stobble J., N.C.R.Mulder, B.J.Roosenschoon, M.Depla, H.Kroon (2010) Assertive community treatment for elderly people with severe mental illness. BMC Psychiatry. 10:84. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/10/84[WoS]
- McCrae R.R. (1993) Moderated Analyses of Longitudinal Personality Stability. J.Pers.Soc.Psychol., 65:577–585.[Crossref]
- Rowe J.W., R.L.Kahn (1997) Successful ageing. Gerontologist,4:433–440.[Crossref]
- Olvasztóné B.Zs., J.Bognár, L.J.Herpainé, P.J.Kopkáné, K.M.Vécseyné (2011) A survey of the living conditions and life quality of elderly people. Educatio Artis Gymnasticae, 2: 3-14.
- Olvasztóné B.Zs., J.Bognár, L.J.Herpainé, P.J.Kopkáné, K.M.Vécseyné (2011) Lifestyle and living standards of elderly men in Eastern Hungary. Phys.Cult.Sport Stud.Res., 52:69-79.
- Perczel-Forintos D., Zs.Kiss, Gy.Ajtay (2005) Surveys, scales in the clinical psychology (in Hungarian). Országos Pszichiátriai és Neurológiai Intézet. Budapest.
- Rathus A.A. (1973) A 30-item schedule for assessing assertive behavior. Behav.Ther., 4:398-406.[Crossref]
- White S.M., T.R.Wójcicki, E.McAuley (2009) Physical activity and quality of life in community dwelling older adults. Health Qual.Life Out., 7-10.
Publication order reference