Anthropometric characteristics and somatotype of Greek male and female flatwater kayak athletes
Languages of publication
Study aim: To investigate some anthropometric characteristics of male and female kayakers of four competitive categories.Material and methods: Anthropometric characteristics of 83 kayak athletes were measured during the 2009 Greek Cup. Kayakers were divided into four groups according to their competitive category: Women (n = 13; mean age 22.7 ± 3.1 years), Junior Female (n = 15; mean age 16.2 ± 1.1 years), Men (n = 27; mean age 23.7 ± 4.6 years) and Junior Male (n = 28; mean age 16.3 ± 1.2 years).Results: In both groups, the BMI, lean body mass, and relaxed and flexed arm girth were significantly different with respect to age group; body mass was significantly different, but only in male groups. No differences were found between groups on body fat.Conclusions: The data provided in this study could be used as a guideline for talent identification from the general population and may help coaches establish a specific kayak anthropometric profile in order to distinguish an elite kayak athlete.
1 - 1 - 2011
3 - 1 - 2012
- Ackland T. R., K. B. Ong, D. A. Kerr, B. Ridge (2003) Morphological characteristics of Olympicsprint canoe and kayak paddlers. J. Sci. Med. Sport 6:285-294.[Crossref]
- Alacid F., M. Marfell-Jones, P. A. Lopez-Minarro, I. Martinez, J. M. Muyor (2011). Morphological Characteristics of Young Elite Paddlers. J. Hum. Kinet. 27:97-112.
- Anca F., S. Muniroglu (2008) Anthropometric-somatotype and strength profiles and on-water performance in Turkish elite kayakers. Int. J. Appl. Sports Sci, 20 (1):22-34.
- Bishop D. (2000) Physiological predictors of flat-water kayak performance in women. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol., 82: 91-97.[Crossref]
- Carter J. E. L. (1980) The Heath-Carter Somatotype Method. 3rd Ed. San Diego State, University Syllabus Service, San Diego.
- Cermak J. I. Kuta, J. Parizkova (1975) Some predispositions for top performance in speed canoeing and their changes during the whole year training program. J. Sports Med. Phys. Fit. 15 (3): 243-251.
- Chiotis D., G. Tsiftis, M. Chatzisymeon, M. Maniati, X. Krikos, A. Dakou-Voutetaki (2002) Growth charts for the Greek population: boys aged 0-18 years. A Pediatric Clinic. Medical School, University of Athens, Greece
- Chiotis D., G. Tsiftis, M. Chatzisymeon, M. Maniati, X. Krikos, A. Dakou-Voutetaki (2002) Growth charts for the Greek population: girls aged 0-18 years. A Pediatric Clinic. Medical School, University of Athens, Greece
- Claessens A. L., G. Beunen, R. M. Malina (2000) Anthropometry, physique, body composition and maturity. In: Armstrong N., van Mechelen W. (eds): Paediatric Exercise Science and Medicine. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 11-22.
- Durnin J. V. G. A., M. M. Rahaman (1967) The assessment of the amount of fat in the human body from measurements of skinfolds thickness. Br. J. Nutr. 21:681-689.[Crossref]
- Fleck S. J. (1983) Body composition of elite American athletes. Amer. J. Sports Med., 11 (6):398-403.[Crossref]
- Fry R. W., A. R. Morton (1991) Physiological and kinanthropometric attributes of elite flatwater kayakers. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., 23(11): 1297-1301.
- Kaloupsis S., G. C. Bogdanis, E. Dimakopoulou, M. Maridaki (2008) Anthropometric characteristics and Somatotype of young Greek rowers. Biol. Sport, 25(1): 57-68.
- Malina R. M. (1994) Physical activity and training: effects on stature and the adolescent growth spurt. Med. Sci. Sport Exerc., 26:759-66.[Crossref]
- Malina R. M., C. Bouchard (1991) Growth, Maturation and Physical Activity. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, pp.65-86
- Michael J. S., K. B. Rooney, R. Smith (2008) The metabolic demands of Kayaking: A review. J. Sports Sci. Med., 7, 1-7.
- Ong K. B., T. R. Ackland, P. A. Hume, B. Ridge, E. Broad, D. A. Kerr (2005) Equipment set-up among Olympic Sprint and Slalom Kayak paddlers. Sports Biomech., 4(1): 47-58.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Ridge B. R., E. Broad, D. A. Kerr, T. R. Ackland (2007) Morphological characteristics of Olympic slalom canoe and kayak paddlers. Eur. J. Sport Sci., 7(2): 107-113.[Crossref]
- Rynkiewicz M., T. Rynkiewicz (2010) Bioelectrical impedance analysis of body composition and muscle mass in advanced kayakers. Hum. Mov., 11(1): 11-16.
- Tesch P. A. (1983). Physiological characteristics of elite kayak paddlers. Can. J. Appl. Sport Sci., 8(2): 87-91
- Van Someren K. A., G. S. Palmer (2003). Predictor of 200m sprint kayaking performance. Appl. Physiol. Nutr. Metab 28 (4): 505-517
Publication order reference