Sport and other motor activities of Warsaw students
Languages of publication
Study aim: To assess the engagement of students of Warsaw university schools in sports and in recreational motor activities.Material and methods: A cohort (n = 1100) of students attending B.S. or M.S. courses at 6 university schools in Warsaw were studied by applying questionnaire techniques. The questions pertained to participation in competitive sports and in recreational motor activities throughout the last year.Results: 8% of all students participated in competitive sports, 5% were members of college athletic clubs. Over 90% of students declared practicing leisure motor activities regularly (53%), seasonally (29%) or occasionally (11%). Most differences were related to the study year, 2nd year students being more active than their 4th year mates.Conclusions: Higher engagement of 2nd than of 4th year students in motor activities may result from obligatory, curricular physical education activities. Academic communities ought to undertake substantial effort towards shaping continuous health-directed habits of students.
1 - 1 - 2011
23 - 2 - 2011
- Bourdieu P., J-C. Passeron (1970) La reproduction. Eléments pour une théorie du système d'enseignement.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance - United States, 2005. Surveillance Summaries, MMWR, 2006, vol. 55 (SS-5): 1-108.
- Definition of Sport (2010)
- Dishman R. K., J. F. Sallis (1994) Determinants and interventions for physical activity and exercise. In: C. Bouchard (ed.), Physical Activity, Fitness and Health. Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign IL, pp. 214-238.
- Drygas W., A. Skiba, W. Bielcki, P. Puška (2001) Assessment of physical activity of inhabitants of six European countries. "Bridging East-West Health Gap" project. Medicina Sportiva 5(Suppl. 2):119-128.
- European Commission (2004) Sport and Physical Activity, Special Eurobarometer 72.3.
- European Commission (2010) The citizens of the European Union and Sport, Special Eurobarometer 213/62.0.
- Gratton C. (ed.; 1999) COMPASS, UK Sports Council, British Sports Council, Italian National Olympic Committee, pp. 13-14.
- Kraut A. S., S. Melamed, D. Gofer, P. Froom (2003) Effect of school age sports on leisure time physical activity in adults. The CORDIS Study. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 35:2038-2042.[PubMed]
- McElroy M. (2002) Resistance to exercise: A social analysis of inactivity. Human Kinetics, Champaign IL.
- Mussino A. (2010) Conceptual and operational problems in measuring participation in sport.
- Shepard R. J. (2004) A reed for more experimental studies of physical activity during childhood. Special communications: Letters to the Editor-in-Chief. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 36: 915.
- Stephens T., C. J. Caspersen (1994) The demography of physical activity. In: C. Bouchard, R. J. Shephard, T. Stephens (eds.) Physical Activity, Fitness and Health. Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign IL, pp. 204-213.
- Stupnicki R. (2008) Analysis and Presentation of Questionnaire Data. University of Physical Education Editions, Warsaw, Poland.
Publication order reference