Effects of competitive pentathlon training on the antioxidant defence components
Languages of publication
Study aim: To assess the effects of training on the activities of antioxidant enzymes in erythrocytes and on the total plasma antioxidant status in competitive pentathletes.Material and methods: A group of 10 senior male pentathletes (P) and of 10 sedentary male subjects (S) participated in the study. Blood was withdrawn from the antecubital vein in the morning, in the preprandial state. The activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione reductase (GR) and catalase (CAT) were determined in erythrocyte haemolisates, that of glutathione peroxidase (GPX) in whole blood haemolysate, and the total antioxidant status (TAS) in plasma.Results: The activities of all enzymes were significantly (p<0.05 - 0.001) higher in P than in S group while no significant between-group difference was found for TAS.Conclusions: The pronounced enzymatic antioxidative potential and oxidative stress defence observed in athletes practicing modern pentathlon may be attributed to their extensive training.
1 - 1 - 2010
28 - 10 - 2010
- Banfi G., A. Malavazos, E. Iorio, A. Dolci, L. Doneda, R. Verna, M. M. Corsi (2006) Plasma oxidative stress biomarkers, nitric oxide and heat shock protein 70 in trained elite soccer players. Eur.J. Appl. Physiol. 96:483-486.[Crossref]
- Bloomer R. J., A. H. Goldfarb, L. Wideman, M. J. McKenzie, L. A. Consitt (2005) Effects of acute aerobic and anaerobic exercise on blood markers of oxidative stress. J. Strength Cond. Res. 19:276-285.
- Brites F. D., P. A. Evelson, M. G. Christiansen, M. F. Nicol, M. J. Basilico, R. W. Wikinski, S. F. Llesuy (1999) Soccer players under regular training show oxidative stress but an improved plasma antioxidant status. Clin. Sci. 96:381-385.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Durnin J. V. G.A, J. Womersley (1974) Body fat assessed from total density and its estimation from skinfold thickness: measurements on 481 men and women aged from 16 to 72 years. Br.J. Nutr. 32:77-97.
- Finaud J., G. Lac, E. Filaire (2006) Oxidative stress. Relationship with exercise and training. Sports Med. 36:327-358.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Hübner-Woźniak E., G. Lutosławska, W. Sendecki, D. Sitkowski, L. Borkowski (1996) Resting glutathione peroxidase activity in whole blond in response to various modes of training. Biol. Sport 13:267-272.
- Hübner-Woźniak E., G. Lutosławska, W. Sendecki, K. Lerczak, L. Borkowski, A. Klusiewicz (1998) Effect of physical training on the resting activity of superoxide dismutase in erythrocytes. Biol. Sport 15:197-203.
- Jacob R. A., B. J. Burri (1996) Oxidative damage and defense. Am.J. Clin. Nutr. 63:985S-990S.
- Jenkins R. R. (2000) Exercise and oxidative stress methodology: a critique. Am.J. Clin. Nutr. 72(suppl):670S-674S.
- Ji L. L., M. C. Gomez-Cabrera, J. Vina (2006) Exercise and hormesis: activation of cellular antioxidant signalling pathway. Ann.NY Acad. Sci. 1067:425-435.
- Jones D. P. (2006) Redefining oxidative stress. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 8:1865-79.
- Knez W. L., D. G. Jenkins, J. S. Coombes (2007) Oxidative stress in half and full ironman triathletes. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 39:283-288.[WoS][PubMed][Crossref]
- Knez W. L., J. S. Coombes, D. G. Jenkins (2006) Ultraendurance exercise and oxidative damage. Sports Med. 36:429-441.[Crossref]
- Kostaropoulos I.A, M. G. Nikolaidis, A. Z. Jamurtas, G. V. Ikonomou, V. Makrygiannis, G. Papadopoulos, D. Kouretas (2006) Comparison of the blood redox status between longdistance and short-distance runners. Physiol. Res. 55:611-616.
- Koury J. C., de Oliviera A. V., Portella E. S., de Oliviera C. F., Lopes G. C., Donangelo C. M. (2004) Zinc and copper biochemical indices of antioxidant status in elite athletes of different modalities. Int.J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 14:358-372.
- Laursen P. B. (2001) Free radicals and antioxidant vitamins: optimizing the health of the athlete. Natl. Strength Cond. Assoc. 23: 17-25.
- Lutosławska G., E.Hübner-Woźniak, B. Panczenko-Kresowska, D. Sitkowski (1999) The effect of submaximal cycling on blond antioxidants, lipid peroxidation and plasma total antioxidant status in subjects with different aerobic capacity. Żywienie Człowieka i Metabolizm 26:5-13.
- Margaritis I., F. Tessier, M. J. Richard, P. Marconnet (1997) No evidence of oxidative stress after a triathlon race in highly trained competitors. Int.J. Sports Med. 18:186-190.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Martarelli D., P. Pompei (2009) Oxidative stress and antioxidant changes during a 24-hours mountain bike endurance exercise in master athletes. J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitn. 49:122-127.
- Mastaloudis A., S. W. Leonard, M. G. Traber (2001) Oxidative stress in athletes during extreme endurance exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 31:911-922.
- Melikoglu M. A., M. Kaldirimci, D. Katkat, I. Sen, I. Kaplan, K. Senel (2008) The effect of regular long term training on antioxidant enzymatic activities. J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitn. 48:388-90.
- Michalczyk M., B. Kłapcińska, E. Sadowska-Krępa, S. Jagasz, W. Pilis, I. Szołtysek-Bołdys, J. Chmura, E. Kimsa, K. Kempa (2008) Evaluation of the blood antioxidant capacity in two selected phases of the training cycle in professional soccer players. J. Hum. Kinetics 19:93-108.
- Miyazaki H., S. Of-ishi, T. Ookawara, T. Kizaki, K. Toshinai, S. Ha, S. Haga, L. L. Ji, H. Ohno (2001) Strenuous endurance training in humans reduces oxidative stress following exhausting exercise. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 84:1-6.[Crossref]
- Ogonowska A., E. Hübner-Woźniak, A. Kosmol, W. Gromisz (2009) Anaerobic capacity of upper extremity muscles of male and female swimmers. Biomed. Hum. Kinetics 1:79-82. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-009-0020-z http://versita.com/science/healthsciences/bhk[Crossref]
- Palazzetti S., M. J. Richard, A. Favier, I. Margaritis (2003) Overloaded training increases exercise-induced oxidative stress and damage. Can. J. Appl. Physiol. 28: 588-604.[Crossref]
- Radak Z., H. Y. Chung, S. Goto (2008) Systemic adaptation to oxidative challenge induced by regular exercise. Free Radical Biol. Med. 44:153-159.[WoS]
- Roi G. S., D. Bianchedi (2008) The science of fencing. Implications for performance and injury prevention. Sports Med. 38:465-481.[Crossref][PubMed][WoS]
- Sen C. K. (2001) Antioxidant and redox regulation of cellular signalling: introduction. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 33:368-370.[Crossref]
- Subudhi A. W., S. L. Davis, R. W. Kipp, E. W. Askew (2001) Antioxidant status and oxidative stress in elite alpine ski racers. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metabol. 11:32-41.
- Urso M. L., P. M. Clarkson (2003) Oxidative stress, exercise, and antioxidant supplementation. Toxicology 189:41-45.
Publication order reference