Health awareness and sporting behaviour of qualified Cypriot physical education teachers
Languages of publication
Study aim: To assess the health awareness and sporting behaviour of qualified physical education (PE) teachers and the extent to which their health models are worth being followed.Material and methods: A survey was conducted on the entire Cypriot population (n = 1880) of PE graduates regardless of their actual job. A random sample (n = 531; 28.2%) was selected its main characteristics reflecting those of the total population. The active PE teachers were subjected to face-to-face interviews, those having other jobs responded by mail. The interview questionnaire contained closed, alternative, and open-ended questions.Results: Qualified PE graduates engaged in teaching or in sport-related jobs were the most active physically and had highest health awareness. Those, whose jobs were not sport-related, changed their attitudes towards healthy lifestyle and sports. Many of them would have preferred to have undertaken other, sport-unrelated studies. Yet, almost all subjects studied tried to motivate others to be involved in sport activities.Conclusions: The health awareness and sporting behaviour of PE-graduates was affected by their current jobs. In effect, those who applied for PE-teacher jobs were at risk of having their health-directed behaviours deteriorated before having got the job. This ought to be considered when designing in- or off-service training courses.
1 - 1 - 2010
12 - 7 - 2010
- Blomquist, K. B. (1986) Modelling and health behaviour: strategies for prevention in the schools. J. Health Educ. 17:8-11.
- Bochenek, A., J. W. Burzynski (2007) Values and threats in contemporary sport in the views of PE students in the context of their self-actualizing tendency. In: J. Kosiewicz (ed.) Social and Cultural Aspects of Sport. Warsaw, pp.132-139.
- Drummond, L. J., J. G. McGuire, G. Bennett (2002) Student perceptions of exercise role modelling by secondary health educators. Health Educ. J. 61:78-86.
- European Sports Charter & Code of Sports Ethics (2001).
- Fontana, D., M. Apostolidou (2002) A survey of teachers' health lifestyles in Cyprus. Health Educ. J. 61:70-77.
- Freeman, H. W. (1987) Physical Education and Sport in a Changing Society (3rd ed.) Macmillan Publishing Company, New York
- Gacek, M., J. Rosiński, D. Tchórzewski (2005) Health-related behaviours, health status and physical activities of children from primary schools in Zakopane. Phys. Educ. Sport 49:28-31 http://versita.com/science/healthsciences/pes
- Graf, C., S. Jouck, B. Koch, A. Platschek, C. Arnold, M. Bohm, S. Dordel, W. Tokarski (2008) Obesity, blood pressure and health-related behaviour among German children and adolescents. Phys. Educ. Sport 52:57-61 http://versita.com/science/healthsciences/pes
- Graf, C., W. Tokarski, H. Predel, B. Koch, S. Dordel (2006) Overweight and obesity in childhood - how can physical activity help? Phys. Educ. Sport 50:54-59 http://versita.com/science/healthsciences/pes
- Guszkowska, M., T. Rychta (2007) Achievement motivation and physical fitness of 15-year old girls. Phys. Educ. Sport 51:20-22 http://versita.com/science/healthsciences/pes
- Kristonne, B. M., S. Gabor, B. Klara, S. Janos (2007) Physical education, as a subject and the PE teacher according to the opinion of faculty board. Proc. 6th Congr. Hung. Soc.Sport Sci. "Sporting nation and healthy society". Eger, 1:292-300.
- McKenzie, L. T. (2007) The preparation of physical educators: a public health perspective. Quest 59:345-357.[Crossref]
- Neumann, G. (2001) Nutrition in Sport. Meyer and Meyer Sport Ltd, UK.
- Nowak, P. F., Z. Ignasiak (2008) The state of health of women aged 20-59 at different levels of physical activity. Human Movement 9:27-33.
- Radak, Z. (2007) The price of physical inactivity. Proc. 6th Congr. Hung. Soc.Sport Sci. "Sporting nation and healthy society". Eger, 2:105-106.
- Special Eurobarometer (2006) Health and Food.
- Staniszewski, T. (2007) The role of early education teachers in physical education. Phys. Educ. Sport 51:58-60 http://versita.com/science/healthsciences/pes
- Suchomel, A., D. Sigmundova, K. Fromel (2008) The role of physical activity in the lifestyle of the inhabitants of the Liberec region. Human Movement 9:19-26.
Publication order reference