Effects of creatine supplementation on body mass and muscle girths in bodybuilders
Languages of publication
Study aim: To find out whether a 6-week creatine supplementation would significantly augment body mass and muscle circumferences in male bodybuilders.Material and methods: A group of 14 male bodybuilders aged 16 - 29 years were randomly divided into two groups: experimental (E) and control (C), 7 subjects each. Group E received creatine monohydrate, Group C - placebo, 10 g daily for 6 weeks without saturation phase. The experimental design was a double-blind one. All subjects were on strictly controlled diet, the daily intakes amounting to 2.3 - 2.8 g of protein, 1.0 - 1.2 g of fat and 5 - 6 g/kg body mass of carbohydrate, and 3200 - 4000 kcal. All subjects trained 3 days a week, each session lasting 120 min, in the ‘Power, Rep-Range, Shock’ mode. Chest, waist, arm, forearm, thigh and calf girths were measured in the relaxed and contracted states, together with body mass, before and after the study.Results: Significant, training-induced changes were noted in almost all body circumferences studied in both groups and muscle states, those in the chest, biceps and thigh girths being the most pronounced ones and significantly (p<0.05) greater in the experimental than in control group in the contracted muscle state. In the relaxed state the between-group differences were significant for the chest and thigh girths. The increments in body mass were significantly (p<0.01) higher in the experimental than in control group (4.3 ± 1.3 and 2.1 ± 0.7 kg, respectively).Conclusions: The observed changes may have been brought about by creatine administration.
1 - 1 - 2010
24 - 6 - 2010
- Balsom P. D., B. Ekblom, K. Soderlund, B. Sjodin, E. Hultman (1993) Creatine supplementation and dynamic high intensity intermittent exercise. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports 3:143-149.
- Harris R. G., M. Viru, P. L. Greenhaff, E. Hultman (1993) The effect of oral creatine supplementation on running performance during maximal short-term exercise in man. J. Physiol. 467:74P.
- Heyward V. H., W. M. Sandoval, B. V. Colville (1989) Antropometric, body composition and nutritional profiles of body-builders during training. J. Appl. Sports Sci. Res. 3:22-29.
- Hultman E., K. Soderlund, J. A. Timmons, G. Cederblad (2006) Muscle creatine loading in men. J. Appl. Pysiol. 81:232-237.
- Hunter A. (1928) Monographs on Biochemistry: Creatine and Creatinine. Longmans, Green and Co., London.
- Ingwall J. S. (1976) Creatine and the control of muscle-specific protein synthesis in cardiac and skeletal muscle. Circ. Res. 38:115-123.
- Jones R. (1997) Kreatyna kreatynie nierówna. Medycyna Sportowa 3:21-24.
- Katch V. L., F. J. Katch, H. Moffat, M. Gittleson (1980) Muscular development and lean body weight in bodybuilders and weight lifters. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 12:340-344.
- Kreider R. B., M. Ferreira, M. Wilson, P. Grindstaff, S. Pilsk, J. Reinardy, E. Cantler, A. L. Almada (1998) Effects of creatine supplementation on body composition, strenghth and sprint performance. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 30:73-82.
- Kruszewski M. (2007) Metody treningu i podstawy żywienia w sportach siłowych. Monografie COS Warszawa.
- Kruszewski M. (2009) Effectiveness of muscular development and nutritional supplementation techniques in the aspect of motor potential and body composition changes in training participants. Studia i Monografie, AWF Warszawa.
- Kruszewski M. (2005) Podnoszenie ciężarów i kulturystyka. Monografie COS, Warszawa.
- Kruszewski M., B. Wit, K. Buśko, G. Kępa (2000) Effect of powerlifting training supplemented by creatine on sport results and body components. In: C. P. Lee (ed.) Proc.2nd Intern. Conf. Weightlifting and Strength Training. Ipoh, Malaysia, p. 103.
- MacDougall J. D., H. A. Wenger, H. J. Green. (1998) Fizyologicheskoye testirovanye sportsmena vysokovo klassa. Olimpiyskaya Literatura, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- McComas A. J. (1998) Skeletal Muscle Form and Function. Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill.
- Olek R. (1999) Co wiemy o kreatynie w końcu XX wieku? Medycyna Sportowa 11(100):24-31.
- Ostberg K., K. Soderlund (1993) Kreatin. Skidskytte 5: 16-17.
- Prevost M. C., A. G. Nelson, G. S. Morris (1997) Creatine supplementation enhances intermittent work performance. Res. Q. Exerc. Sport 68:233-240.
- Sale D. G. (1992) Neural Adaptation to Strength Training. Strength and Power in Sport. Blackwell Sci. Publ., Oxford, pp. 249-265.
- Smulski W. M., W. D. Monogarow, M. M. Bułatowa (1996) Pitanye w sisteme podgotovki sportsmenov. Olimpiyskaya Literatura, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Thorensen E., J. McMillan, K. Guion, B. Joyner (1998) The effect of creatine supplementation on repeated sprint performance. Conference NSCA, J. Strength Condit. Res. 4(12):277.
- Trzaskoma Z., Ł. Trzaskoma (2001) Kompleksowe zwiększanie siły mięśniowej sportowców. Monografie COS, Warszawa.
- Weider J.  Bodybuilding System. Comes, Warszawa.
Publication order reference