Core stability of male and female football players
Languages of publication
Study aim: To investigate into core stability measures and to establish the preliminary normal data.Material and methods: Three groups of football players were studied: male players, members of an amateur club (Division IV; n = 20), female players, members of a Division I club (n = 28) and male adolescent club players (n = 17). They were subjected to 4 tests of core stability (muscular endurance of trunk flexors and extensors, and of left and right lateral bridge) at the beginning of the 2009/2010 season.Results: No significant between-group differences were found for trunk flexors endurance. Female players were significantly (p<0.01) superior to both male groups with respect to trunk extensors endurance and inferior with respect to flexors-to-extensors ratio.Conclusions: The results may have practical implications for football training and injury prevention.
1 - 1 - 2010
8 - 4 - 2010
- Borghuis J., A.L. Hof, K.A. Lemmink (2008) The importance of sensory-motor control in providing core stability: implications for measurement and training. Sports Med. 38:893-916.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Drid P., M. Drapsin, T. Trivic, D. Lukac, S. Obadov (2009) Asymmetry of muscle strength in elite athletes. Biomedical Human Kinetics 1:3-5. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-009-0002-1[Crossref]
- Grabara M., A. Hadzik (2009) Postural variables in girls practicing volleyball. Biomedical Human Kinetics 1:67-71. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-009-0017-7[Crossref]
- Grabara M., G. Kołodziej, M. Wojcik (2010) Spine flexibility and the prevalence of contractures of selected postural muscle groups in junior male football players. Biomedical Human Kinetics 2:15-18. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-010-0004-z[Crossref]
- Heller J. (2004) Laboratory Manual for Human and Exercise Physiology. Charles University, Prague.
- Hoogenboom B.J., J.L. Bennett (2007) Core stabilization training in rehabilitation. In: M.L. Voight, B.J. Hoogenboom, W.E. Prentice: Musculoskeletal Interventions, Techniques for Therapeutic Exercise. McGraw-Hill, USA, pp. 333-358.
- Kibler W.B., J. Press, A. Sciascia (2006) The role of core stability in athletic function. Sports Med. 36:189-198.[PubMed][Crossref]
- McGill S. (2004) Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance. Wabuno Publishers, Waterloo.
- Michalczyk M., B.Kłapcińska, S. Poprzecki, S. Jagsz, E. Sadowska-Krępa, E. Kimsa, K. Kempa, J. Chmura (2010) Aerobic capacity and sprint velocity of Leagues I and IV football players. Biomedical Human Kinetics, 2:9-14. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-010-0003-0[Crossref]
- Nesser T.W., K.C. Huxel, J.L. Tincher, T. Okada (2008) The relationship between core stability and performance in Division I football players. J. Strength Cond.Res. 22:1750-1754.[WoS][Crossref]
- Nesser T.W., W.L. Lee (2009) The relationship between core strength and performance in division I female football players. J. Exerc.Physiol.online 12(2):21-28.
- Socha M., W. Jonak, M. Bolanowski, A. Chwalczynska. (2008): Assessment of body fat content in young men by using selected somatic indices and skinfolds. Physical Education and Sport, 52, 84-87. DOI: 10.2478/v10030-008-0018-2[Crossref]
- Willardson J.M. (2007) Core stability training: applications to sports conditioning programs. J. Strength Cond.Res. 21:979-985.
- Willson J.D., C.P. Dougherty, M.L. Ireland, I.M. Davis (2005) Core stability and its relationship to lower extremity function and injury. J. Am.Acad.Orthop.Surg. 13:316-325.[PubMed]
Publication order reference