Effects of oral L-arginine supplementation on vasodilation and O2max in male soccer players
Languages of publication
Study aim: To determine the effects of oral L-arginine supplementation on vasodilation, blood flow and maximum oxygen uptake (O2max) in soccer players.Material and methods: A group of 24 healthy male soccer players aged 20 - 26 years volunteered to participate in the study. The subjects were randomly assigned into 3 groups: experimental, placebo and control. Experimental group was given L-arginine (6 g orally) and the placebo group - starch (6 g orally) daily for a week; subjects from the control group remained untreated. Before the test and at the end of the week blood samples were collected, and systemic blood pressures, blood flows and maximal oxygen uptake (O2max, by Queens College step test) were recorded. Blood samples were assayed for HDL, LDL, triglyceride and urea concentrations. The study was conducted in a randomised, single-blinded, placebo-controlled fashion consisting of 7-day treatment periods.Results: Oral supplementation of L-arginine significantly (p<0.01) decreased blood pressure indices and increased O2max (p<0.01), blood flow (p<0.05), femoral artery diameter (p<0.05) and urea levels (p<0.05). There was no change in blood lipid levels (p<0.05). No significant changes were noted in the placebo and control groups.Conclusions: Oral supplementation of L-arginine may have beneficial effect on vasodilation and O2max, therefore may increase the exercise capacity of soccer players.
1 - 1 - 2010
25 - 3 - 2010
- Faculty of Engineering, Departments of Food Engineering, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Gölköy Campus, Bolu, Turkey
- Department of Health Sciences, Lehman College, The City University of New York, Bronx NY, USA
- Faculty of Medicine, Department of Radiology Gölköy Campus, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Bolu, Turkey
- Adams M. R., C. J. Forsyth, W. Jessup, J. Robinson, D. S. Celermajer (1995) Oral L-arginine inhibits platelet aggregation but does not enhance endothelium-dependent dilation in healthy young men. J. Am.Coll.Cardiol. 26:1054-1061.[Crossref]
- Appleton J. (2002) Arginine: clinical potential of a semiessential amino acid. Altern.Med.Rev. 7:512-522.
- Bednarz B, T. Jaxa-Chamiec, J. Gebalska, K. Herbaczynska- Cedro, L. Ceremuzynski (2004) L-arginine supplementation prolongs exercise capacity in congestive heart failure. Kardiol. Pol. 60:348-53.[PubMed]
- Bode-Böger S. M., J. Muke, A. Surdacki, G. Brabant, R. H. Böger, J. C. Frölich (2003) Oral L-arginine improves endothelial function in healthy individuals older than 70 years. Vascular Med. 8:77-81.[Crossref]
- Bode-Böger S. M., R. H. Böger, A. Creutzing, D. Tsikas, F. M. Gutzki (1994) L-Arginine.infusion decreases peripheral arterial resistance and inhibits platelet aggregation in healthy volunteers. Clin.Sci. 87:303-310.
- Bode-Böger S. M., R. H. Böger, A. Galland, D. Tsikas, J. C. Frölich (1998a) L-arginine-induced vasodilation in healthy humans: pharmacokinetics-pharmacodynamic relationship. Br.J. Clin.Pharmacol. 46:489-497.
- Böger R. H., S. M. Böde-Boger (2001) The clinical pharmacology of L-arginine. Ann.Rev.Pharmacol.Toxicol. 41:79-99.[Crossref]
- Ceremuzynski L., T. Chamiec, K. Herbaczynska-Cedro (1997) Effect of supplemental oral arginine on exercise capacity in patients with stable angina pectoris. Am.J. Cardiol. 80: 331-333.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Chin-Dusting J. P. F., C. T. Alexander, P. J. Arnold, W. C. Hodgson, A. S. Lus, G. L. R. Jennings (1996) Effects of in vivo and in vitro L-arginine supplementation on healthy human vessels. J. Cardiovasc.Pharmacol. 28:158-66.[Crossref]
- Clarkson P., M. R. Adams, A. J. Powe, A. E. Donald, R. Mc Credie, J. Robinson, S. N. McCarthy, A. Keech, D. S. Celermajer, J. E. Deanfield (1996) Oral L-arginine improves endothelium dependent dilation in hypercholesterolemic young adults. J. Clin. Invest. 97:1989-1994.[Crossref]
- Creager M. A., S. J. Gallagher, X. J. Girerd, S. M. Coleman, V. J. Dzau, J. P. Cooke (1992) L-arginine improves endotheliumdependent vasodilation in hypercholesterolemic humans. J. Clin. Invest. 90:1248-1253.[Crossref]
- Giugliano D., R. Marfella, L. Coppola, G. Verrazzo, R. Acampora, R. Giunta, F. Nappo (1997) Vascular effects of acute hyperglycemia in humans are reversed by L-arginine. Evidence for reduced availability of nitric oxide during hyperglycemia. Circulation 95:1783-1790.[PubMed]
- Giugliano D., R. Marfella, G. Verrazzo, R. Acampora, F. Nappo, P. Ziccardi, L. Coppola (1997) L-arginine for testing endothelium-dependent vascular functions in health and disease. Am.J. Physiol. 273:606-612.
- Gornik H. L., M. A. Creager (2004) Arginine and endothelial and vascular health. J. Nutr. 134:2880S-2887S.
- Hambrecht R., L. Hilbrich, S. Erbs, S. Gielen, E. Fiehn, N. Schoene, G. Schuler (2000) Correction of endothelial dysfunction in chronic heart failure: additional effects of exercise training and oral L-arginine supplementation. J. Am.Coll.Cardiol. 35:706-713.[Crossref]
- Higashi Y., T. Oshima, N. Ono, H. Hiraga, M. Yoshimura, M. Watanabe, H. Matsuura, M. Kambe, G. Kajiyama (1995) Intravenous administration of l-arginine inhibits angiotensin converting enzyme in humans. J. Clin.Endocrinol.Metab. 80:2198-2202.
- Huynh N. T., J. A. Tayek (2002) Oral arginine reduces systemic blood pressure in type 2 diabetes: Its potential role in nitric oxide generation. J. Am.Coll.Nutr. 21:422-427.[Crossref]
- Lagni Pasini F, C. Frigerio, P. Blardi, L. Domini, L. De Giorgi, G. Borgogni, S. Pecchi, G. Cati, M. Franchi, L. Volpi (1995) Evidence of an adenosine dependent mechanism in the hypotensive effect of L-arginine in man. Clin.Exp.Pharmacol.Physiol. 22:254-259.[Crossref]
- Lekakis J. P., S. Papathanassiou, T. G. Papaioannou, C. M. Papamichael, N. Zakopoulos, V. Kotsis, A. G. Dagre, K. Stamatelopoulos, A. Protogerou, S. F. Stamatelopoulos (2002) Oral l-arginine improves endothelial dysfunction in patients with essential hypertension. Int.J. Cardiol. 86:317-323.[Crossref]
- Lerman A., J. C. Burnett, S. T. Higano, L. J. McKinley, D. R. Holmes (1998) Long-term L-arginine supplementation improves small-vessel coronary endothelial function in humans. Circulation 97:2123-2128.[PubMed]
- Marietta M., F. Facchinetti, I. Neri, F. Piccinini, A. Volpe, G. Torelli (1997) L-arginine infusion decreases platelet aggregation through an intraplatelet nitric oxide release. Thromb.Res. 88:229-235.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Maud P. J., C. Foster (1995) Physiological assessment of human fitness. In: P. J. T Vallance, D. J. Webb (eds) Vascular Endothelium in Human Physiology and Pathophysiology. Human Kinetics, pp. 47-48.
- Nagaya N., M. Uematsu, H. Oya, N. Sato, F. Sakamaki, S. Kyotani, K. Ueno, N. Nakanishi, M. Yamagishi, K. Miyatake (2001). Short-term oral administration of L-arginine improves hemodynamics and exercise capacity in patients with precapillary pulmonary hypertension. Am.J. Respir.Crit.Care Med. 163:887-891.
- Paddon Jones D., E. Borsheim, R. R. Wolfe (2004) Potential ergogenic effects of arginine and creatine supplementation. J. Nutr. 134:10S.
- Piatti P. M., L. D. Monti, G. Valsecci, F. Magni, E. Setola, F. Marchesi, M. Gali-Kienle (2001) Long term oral l-arginine administration improves peripheral and hepatic insulin sensivity in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabet.Care 24:875-880.
- Rector T. S., A. J. Bank, K. A. Mullen, L. K. Tschumperlin, R. Sih, K. Pillai, S. H. Kubo (1996) Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of supplemental oral L-arginine in patients with heart failure. Circulation 93:2135-2141.[PubMed]
- Rytlewski K., R. Olszanecki, R. Korbut, Z. Zdebski (2005) Effects of prolonged oral supplementation with L-arginine on blood pressure and nitric oxide synthesis in pre-eclampsia. Eur.J. Clin.Invest. 35:32-37.[Crossref]
- Siani A., E. Pagano, R. Iacone, L. Iacoviello, F. Scopacasa, P. Strazzullo (2000) Blood pressure and metabolic changes during dietary l-arginine supplementation in humans. Am.J. Hypertens. 13:547-551.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Sozykin A. V., E. A. Noeva, T. V. Balakhonova, O. A. Pogorelova, M. I. Menshikov (2000) Effect of L-arginine on platelet aggregation, endothelial function and exercise tolerance in patients with stable angina pectoris. Ter.Arkh. 72:24-7.
- Williams M. (2005) Dietary supplements and sports performance: amino acids. J. Int.Society Sports Nutr. 2:63-67.[Crossref]
Publication order reference