Acute effects of static stretching on muscle strength
Languages of publication
Study aim: To assess the effects of static passive maximal stretching on muscle performance in order to clarify the existing controversies.Material and methods: Two randomly selected groups of the Brazilian Air Force personnel were studied: experimental (n = 15), subjected to 3 bouts of static passive stretching exercises of wrist flexors and extensors (beyond a mild discomfort). Every bout lasted 10 s and was followed by a 30-s rest. The control group (n = 15) performed no exercises. Muscle strength was measured with a handgrip dynamometer before and 20 min after the test.Results: Subjects from the experimental group had the pre-exercise handgrip strength significantly higher than postexercise (by about 7%; p<0.01). No significant decrease was noted in the control group.Conclusions: Static passive stretching induces decreases in muscle strength.
1 - 1 - 2009
21 - 7 - 2009
- ACSM (2006) Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Arruda F. L. B, L. B. Faria, V. Silva, G. W. Senna, R. Simão, J. Novaes, A. S. Maior (2006) A influěncia do alongamento no rendimento do treinamento de força. Revista Treinamento Desportivo 7(1).
- Bandy W. D., J. M. Irion, M. Briggler (1998) The effect of static stretch and dynamic range of motion training on the flexibility of the hamstring muscles. J. Orthop.Sports Phys.Ther. 27: 295-300.[Crossref]
- Bandy W. D., J. M. Irion, M. Briggler (1997) The effect of time and frequency of static stretching on flexibility of the hamstring muscles. Phys.Ther. 77:1090-1096.[PubMed]
- Behm D. G., A. Bambury, F. Cahill, K. Power (2004) Effect of acute static stretching on force, balance, reaction time, and movement time. Med.Sci.Sports Exerc. 36:1397-1402.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Behm D. G., D. C. Button, J. C. Butt (2001) Factors affecting force loss with prolonged stretching. Can.J. Appl.Physiol. 26:261-272.
- Cardozo G, J. B. Torrres, E. H. M. Dantas, R. Simão, (2006) Comportamento da força muscular após o alongamento estático. Revista Treinamento Desportivo 7(1).
- Conceição M. C. S. C., R. G. S. Vale, M. Bottaro, E. H. M. Dantas, J. S. Novaes (2008) Effects of four different insistence times of the static overstretching on the flexibility's young adults. Fitn. Perf.J. 7(2):88-92.
- Cramer J. T., T. W. Beck, T. J. Housh, L. L. Massey, S. M. Marek, S. Danglemeier, S. Purkayastha, J. Y. Culbertson, K. A. Fitz, A. D. Egan (2007) Acute effects of static stretching on characteristics of the isokinetic angle - torque relationship, surface electromyography, and mechanomyography. J. Sports Sci. 25: 687-698.[WoS][Crossref]
- Cramer J. T., T. J. Housh, J. W. Coburn, T. W. Beck, G. O. Johnson (2006) Acute effects of static stretching on maximal eccentric torque production in women. J. Strength Cond.Res. 20: 354-358.
- Cramer J. T., T. J. Housh, G. O. Johnson, J. M. Miller, J. W. Coburn, T. W. Beck (2004) Acute effects of static stretching on peak torque in women. J Strength Cond Res 18: 236-241.[PubMed]
- Cramer J. T., T. J. Housh, J. P. Weir, G. O. Johnson, J. W. Coburn, T. W. Beck (2005) The acute effects of static stretching on peak torque, mean power output, electromyography, and mechanomyography. Eur.J. Appl.Physiol. 93:530-539.[Crossref]
- Dantas E. H. M., P. T. Salomão, RG. S. Vale, A. Achour Jun., R. Simão, N. M. A. Figueiredo (2008) Scale of perceived exertion in the flexibility (PERFLEX): a dimensionless tool to evaluate the intensity? Fitn.Perf.J. 7(5):289-294.
- Egan A. D., J. T. Cramer, L. L. Massey, S. M. Marek (2006) Acute effects of static stretching on peak torque and mean power output in National Collegiate Athletic Association Di-vision I women's basketball players. J. Strength Cond.Res. 20: 778-782.
- Filho J. F. (2003) A prática da avaliação física. Shape, Rio de Janeiro, p. 189.
- Fowles J. R., D. G. Sale, J. D. MacDougall (2000) Reduced strength after passive stretch of the human plantarflexors. J. Appl. Physiol. 89:1179-1188.
- Galdino L. A. S., C. J. Nogueira, E. P. Cesar, M. E. P. Fortes, J. R. Perrout, E. H. M. Dantas (2005) Comparação entre níveis de força explosiva de membros inferiores antes e após flexionamento passivo. Fitn.Perf.J. 4(1):11-15.
- Gleim G. W., M. P. McHugh (1997) Flexibility and its effects on sports injury and performance. Sports Med. 24:289-299.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Gray S. C., G. Devito, M. A. Nimmo (2002) Effect of active warm-up on metabolism prior to and during intense dynamic exercise. Med.Sci.Sports Exerc. 34:2091-2096.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Haff G. (2006) Round-table discussion: flexibility training. Strength Cond.J. 28:64-85.[Crossref]
- Jackson A. S., M. L. Pollock (1978) Generalized equations for predicting body density of men. Br.J. Nutr. 40:497-504.[Crossref]
- Kokkonen J., A. G. Nelson, A. Cornwell (1998) Acute muscle stretching inhibits maximal strength performance. Res.Q. Exerc.Sport 69:411-415.
- Little T., A. G. Williams (2006) Effects of differential stretching protocols during warm-ups on high-speed motor capacities in professional soccer players. J. Strength Cond.Res. 20:203-207.
- Marek S. M., J. T. Cramer, A. L. Fincher, L. L. Massey, S. M. Dangelmaier, S. Purkayastha, K. A. Fitz, J. Y. Culbertson (2005) Acute effects of static and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching on muscle strength and power output. J. Athl. Train. 40:94-103.
- McBride J. M., R. Deane, S. Nimphius (2007) Effect of stretching on agonist-antagonist muscle activity and muscle force output during single and multiple joint isometric contractions. Scand.J. Med.Sci.Sports 17:54-60.[WoS]
- McMillian D. J., J. H. Moore, B. S. Hatler, D. C. Taylor (2006) Dynamic vs. static stretching warm-up: the effect on power and agility performance. J. Strength Cond.Res. 20:492-499.
- Muir I. W., J. T. Chesworth, A. A. Vandervoort (1999) Effect of a static calf-stretching exercise on the resistive torque during passive ankle dorsiflexion in healthy subjects. J. Orthop. Sports Phys.Ther. 29:106-115.[Crossref]
- Organization W. M. (1996) Declaration of Helsinki. Br. Med.J. 1448-1449.
- Papadopoulos G., T. Siatras, S. Kellis (2005) The effect of static and dynamic stretching exercises on the maximal isokinetic strength of the knee extensors and flexors. Isokinetics Exerc.Sci. 13:285-291.
- Shrier I. (2004) Does stretching improve performance? A systematic and critical review of the literature. Clin.J. Sport Med. 14:267-273.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Stone M., M. Ramsey, A. Kinser, H. O'Bryant, C. Ayers, W. Sands (2006) Stretching: acute and chronic? The potential consequences. Strength Cond.J. 28:66-74.
- Swanson J. (2006) A functional approach to warm-up and flexibility. Strength Cond.J. 28:30-36.[Crossref]
- Thacker S. B., J. Gilchrist, D. F. Stroup, C. D. Kimsey Jr. (2004) The impact of stretching on sports injury risk: a systematic review of the literature. Med.Sci.Sports Exerc. 36:371-378.[Crossref]
- Thomas J. R., J. K. Nelson, S. Silverman (2005) Métodos de pesquisa em atividade física. Artmed, Porto Alegre.
- Varejão RV., E. H. M. Dantas, S. M. Matsudo (2007) Comparação dos efeitos do alongamento e do flexionamento, ambos passivos, sobre os níveis de flexibilidade, capacidade fun-cional e qualidade devida do idoso. Ver.Bras.Cien.Movt. 15: 87-95.
- Woolstenhulme M. T., C. M. Griffiths, E. M. Woolstenhulme, A. C. Parcell (2006) Ballistic stretching increases flexibility and acute vertical jump height when combined with basketball activity. J. Strength Cond.Res. 20:799-803.
- Yamaguchi T., K. Ishii, M. Yamanaka, K. Yasuda (2006) Acute effect of static stretching on power output during concentric dynamic constant external resistance leg extension. J. Strength Cond.Res. 20:804-810.
Publication order reference