Postural variables in girls practicing sport gymnastics
Languages of publication
Study aim: To assess body posture variables in girls practicing sport gymnastics vs. their untrained mates.Material and methods: Two groups of girls aged 7 - 11 years were studied: 48 young female gymnasts (Group SG) and 54 untrained girls (Group C) of comparable age, body height and BMI. The gymnast girls had 3 - 7 training sessions a week, their training experience ranging 1 - 5 years. Body posture was assessed by photogrammetry.Results: Shoulder blades and pelvis were significantly (p<0.05) more symmetrical in gymnast girls than in the control group and their spine was better shaped in the youngest gymnasts (p<0.01). Gymnast girls were significantly (p<0.01) superior to their untrained mates in overall posture rating, Lumbar lordosis was less expressed (p<0.05) in gymnast girls aged 7 - 10 years than in the control ones.Conclusions: Sport gymnastics practiced at young age may affect posturogenesis bringing about body symmetrisation and shaping spine curvatures, especially lumbar lordosis.
1 - 1 - 2010
14 - 9 - 2010
- Barczyk K., A. Hawrylak, D. Wojna, C. Giemza (2008) The application of the photogrammetry for the evaluation of the chosen parameters of the body position at children in a younger school age. (Engl. abstr.) Acta Bio-Optica et Informatica Medica 14:217-222.
- Barczyk K., T. Skolimowski, A. Hawrylak (2004) Shaping the asymmetry of trunk in younger children. (Engl. abstr.) Fizjoterapia Polska 4:203-208.
- Bibrowicz K., T. Skolimowski (1995) Występowanie zaburzeń symetrii postawy w płaszczyźnie czołowej u dzieci od 6 do 9 lat. Fizjoterapia 3(2):26-29.
- Burdukiewicz A, J. Miałkowska, J. Pietraszewska (2006) Body build versus body posture of children and youth aged 7-12 years (Engl. abstr.). Stand. Med. 3:307-313.
- Falter E, O. Hellerer (1982) High-performance gymnasts during the period of growth. Morphol. Med. 2:39-44.[PubMed]
- Grabara M., A. Hadzik (2009) Postural variables in girls practicing volleyball. Biomedical Human Kinetics 1:67-71. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-009-0017-7[Crossref]
- Grabara M., A. Hadzik (2009) The body posture in young athletes compared to their peers. Medycyna Sportowa 25(2): 115-124.
- Grabara M., D. Pstrągowska (2008) Estimation of the body posture in girls and boys related to their body mass index (BMI). Medycyna Sportowa 24(6):231-239.
- Harringe M.L., J.S. Nordgren, I. Arvidsson, S. Werner (2007) Low back pain in young female gymnasts and the effect of specific segmental muscle control exercises of the lumbar spine: a prospective controlled intervention study. Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc. 15:1264-1271.[WoS][Crossref]
- Hutchinson M.R. (1999) Low back pain in elite rhythmic gymnasts. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 31:1686-1688.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Kruse D, B. Lemmen (2009) Spine injuries in the sport of gymnastics. Curr. Sports Med. Rep. 8:20-28.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
- Mauriciene V., K. Baciuliene (2005) Spine's sagittal plane curves' coherence with anthropometric parameters in school-children. Education. Physical Training. Sport 3(57):25-29.
- Olszewska E., D. Trzcińska (2008) Inclination of spine sections in relation to the vertical axis of the body in 8-11 years old children. Medycyna Sportowa 24(6):108-116.
- Pausić J, M. Cavala, R. Katić (2006) Relations of the morphological characteristic latent structure and body posture indicators in children aged seven to nine years. Coll. Antropol. 30:621-627.[PubMed]
- Sławińska T., K. Rożek K, Z. Ignasiak (2006) Body asymmetry within trunk at children of early sports specialization. (Engl. abstr.) Medycyna Sportowa 22(161):97-100.
- Uetake T, F. Ohtsuki (1993) Sagittal configuration of spinal curvature line in sportsmen using Moire technique. Okajimas Folia Anat. Jpn. 70:91-103.[PubMed]
- Wojtys E.M., J.A. Ashton-Miller, L.J. Huston, P.J. Moga (2000) The association between athletic training time and the sagittal curvature if the immature spine. Am.J. Sports Med. 28:490-498.
Publication order reference