Effects of 4-week rope mallakhamb training on respiratory indices in adolescent girls
Languages of publication
Study aim: To assess the effects of 4-week rope mallakhamb training on respiratory indices in girls.Material and methods: A group of 24 high-school girls aged 12 - 16 years, who participated in interschool yoga competitions and in the Catch Them Young (CTY) programme, volunteered to participate in this study. They were randomly assigned into rope mallakhamb (M) and control (C) groups, n = 12 each. The M group was subjected to 4-week training consisting of various asanas (Paschimottanasana, Natrajasana, Nidrasana, Mayurasana and Savasana), the control group participated in the routine yoga mallakhamb training not containing the asanas mentioned. The following respiratory indices were determined using a wet spirometer: tidal volume (Vt), expiratory (ERV) and inspiratory (IRV) reserve volume, vital capacity (VC), forced vital capacity (FVC) and inspiratory capacity (IC).Results: The 4-week rope mallakhamb training brought about significant (p<0.05 - 0.001) improvements (by 5 - 13%) in all indices except FVC. None of the indices significantly improved in Group C.Conclusions: The rope mallakhamb training may be recommended to improve strength and endurance of respiratory muscles and may contribute to enhanced voluntary control of breathing.
1 - 1 - 2010
9 - 9 - 2010
- Bastille J. V., K. M. Gill-Body (2004) A yoga-based exercise program for people with chronic poststroke hemiparesis. Phys. Ther. 84:33-48.
- Black L. F., R. E. Hyatt (1969) Maximal respiratory pressures: normal values and relationship to age and sex. Am.Rev. Respir. Dis. 99:696-702.
- Chanavirut R., K. Khaidjapho P. Jaree P. Pongnaratorn (2006) Thai J. Physiol. Sci. 19:1-7.
- Greendale G. A., A. McDivit A. Carpenter L. Seeger M. H. Huang (2002) Yoga for women with hyperkyphosis: results of a pilot study. Am.J. Public Health 92:1611-1614.[PubMed]
- Garfinkel M. S., A. Singhal W. A. Katz D. A. Allan R. Reshetar H. R. J. Schumacher (1998) Yoga-based intervention for carpal tunnel syndrome: a randomized trial. JAMA 280:1601-1603.
- Garfinkel M. S., H. R. J. Schumacher H. Husain M. Levy R. A. Reshetar (1994) Evaluation of a yoga-based regimen for treatment of osteoarthritis of the hands. J. Rheumatol. 21:2341-2343.
- Gilbert C. (1999) Yoga and breathing. J. Bodywork Mov. Ther. 3:44-54.
- Hadi N. (2007) Effects of hatha yoga on well-being in healthy adults in Shiraz, Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr. Health J. 13:829-837.
- Halvorson C. (2002) Stretching to breathe: Can yoga help your asthma? Asthma Mag. 7:27-29.
- Iyengar B. K. S., D. Razazan (2001) Yoga: The Path to Holistic Health. Dorling Kindersley Ltd., London.
- Iyengar B. K. S. (1995) Light on Yoga. Schocken Books, New York.
- Jayasinghe S. R. (2004) Yoga in cardiac health (a review). Eur.J. Cardiovasc. Prev. Rehabil. 11: 369-375.
- Murugesan R., N. Govindarajulu T. K. Bera (2000) Effect of selected yogic practices on the management of hypertension. Indian J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 44:207-210.
- Monro R. (1997) Yoga therapy. J. Bodywork Mov. Ther. 1:215-218.
- Madanmohan L. Jatiya K. Udupa A. B. Bhavanani (2003) Effect of yoga training on handgrip, respiratory pressures and pulmonary function. Indian J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 47:387-392.
- Madanmohan D. P. Thombre B. Balakumar (1992) Effect of yoga training on reaction time, respiratory endurance and muscle strength. Indian J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 36:229-233.
Publication order reference