Leadership power perceptions of soccer coaches and soccer players according to their education
Languages of publication
The purpose of this study was to analyze the leadership power perceptions of soccer coaches and soccer playersaccording to their educational levels. Data were collected from 165 male soccer coaches and 870 male soccer players.Adapted versions of the “Power in Soccer Questionnaire-Other”, the “Power in Soccer Questionnaire-Self” and an“information form” were used for data collection, and collected data were analyzed by the Kruskal-Wallis and theMann-Whitney Tests. Analysis of the Power in Soccer Questionnaire-Other revealed significant differences betweensoccer players’ level of education and their perception of Coercive Power (p<.003), and no significant differences relatedto Referent Power, Legitimate Power and Expert Power. Analysis of the Power in Soccer Questionnaire-Self alsorevealed the only significant difference between coaches’ level of education and their perception of Legitimate Power(p<.001), and no significant differences with regard to others. Different perception of leadership powers between coachesand players might create communication and performance problems in soccer.
1 - 10 - 2012
23 - 10 - 2012
- Allcorn, E. Issues management and business arising from the transformation of the soccer industry, In T Reilly, J Bangsbo, M Hughes (Eds.), Science and Football III, 1997, E & FN Spon.
- Bloom, GA. Characteristics, strategies and knowledge of expert team sport coaches. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Ottawa, 1997, Ontario.
- Chelladurai, P. Leadership in sports: A review. Int J Sport Psychol, 1990; 21: 328-354.
- Chelladurai P, Carron, AV. Athletic maturity and preferred leadership. J Sport Psychol, 1983; 5: 371-380.
- Chelladurai P, Carron AV. Task characteristics and individual differences, and their relationship to preferred leadership in sports. In. GC Roberts, DM. Landers (Eds.). Psychology of motor behavior and sport. 1981, Human Kinetics.
- Chelladurai P, Carron AV. Leadership. Sociology of Sport Monograph Series. Canadian Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation, 1978, Ottawa.
- Chelladurai P, Haggerty TR, Baxter PR. Decision style-choices of university basketball coaches and players. J Sport Exercise Psy, 1989; 11: 201-215.
- Erle FJ. Leadership in competitive and recreational sport. Unpublished master’s thesis. University of Western Ontario, 1981, Ontario.
- French J, Raven BH. The bases of social power. In. D Cartwright, (Ed.). Studies in social power. Institute for Social Research, 1959, Ann Arbor.
- Frost DE, Stahelski AJ. The systematic measurement of French and Raven’s bases of social power in workgroups. J Appl Soc Psychol, 1988; 5: 375-389.[Crossref]
- Garland DJ, Barry JR. Personality and leader behaviors in collegiate football: A multidimensional approach to performance. J Res Pers, 1990; 3: 355-370.[Crossref]
- Gordon S. Decision styles and coaching effectiveness in university soccer. Can J Sport Sci, 1988; 13;1: 36-55.
- Gould D. Sport psychology for football. Proceedings of the Science and Football, 2008, Rutledge.
- Gould D, Collins K. Lauer L. Chung Y. Coaching life skills through football: A study of award winning high school coaches. J Appl Psychol, 2007; 19: 16-37.[WoS]
- Gould D, Collins K, Lauer L, Chung Y. Coaching life skills: A working model. Sport Exercise Psychol Rev, 2006; 2: 10-18.
- Gould D, Giannini J, Krane V, Hodge K. Educational needs of elite U.S. national team, Pan American and Olympic coaches, J Teach Phys Educ, 1990; 9: 332-344.
- Home T ,Carron, AV. Compatibility in coach-athlete relationships. J Sport Behav, 1985; 2: 137-149.
- Jowett S, Poczwadowski A. Understanding the coach-athlete relationship. In. S Jowett, D Lavallee (Eds.). Social psychology in sport. 2007, Human Kinetics.
- Konter E. Towards adaptation of self and other versions of the power in soccer questionnaire for Turkey. Eur Sport Man Quart, 2009; 3: 311-332.[Crossref]
- Konter E. Psychological skills of professional soccer players according to their age groups. Gazi J Phys Edu Sport Sci, 2005; 1: 17-24.
- Laughlin N, Laughlin S. The relationship between the similarity in perceptions of teacher/coach leader behavior and evolution of their effectiveness. Int J Sport Psychol, 1994; 22: 396-410.
- Leith LM. The psychology of coaching team sports, a self-help guide. 2003, Sport Books Publisher.
- Lyle J. Sports coaching concepts: a framework for coaches’ behavior. 2002, Routledge.
- Maby RK. The relationship between perceived coaching behaviors and group cohesion in professional football. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Nova Southeastern University, 1997, Nova.
- MaçasV, ClaudinoR, Serodio-Fernandes A, Sampaio J. Sports manager activities in professional and nonprofessional Portuguese soccer organizations, paper presented at the VI th. World Congress on Science and Football (January), Antalya: J Sport Sci Med Vol. 6 Supplementum 10, 2007.
- Reynolds CR, Livingston RB, Wilson V. Measurement and assessment in education. 2006, Pearson Education Inc.
- Salminen S, Lukkonen, J. The convergent and discriminant validity of the coach’s version of the Leadership Scale for Sport. Int J Sport Psychol, 1994; 25: 119-127.
- Summers RJ, Russel J. Association between athletes’ perception of their abilities on the influence of coach technical-instruction. J Sport Behav, 1991; 1: 30-40.
- Wagner JA, Hollenbeck JR. Organizational behavior: Securing competitive advantage (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, 1998, Prentice Hall.
- Wann DL, Metcalf LA, Brewer KR, Whiteside HD. Development of the power in sport questionnaires. J Sport Behav, 2000; 23: 423-443.
- Vallerand RJ, Ratelle CF. Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation: A hierarchical model. In. E.L. Deci & R. M. Ryan (Eds.). Handbook of self-determination research. Rochester, 2002, University of Rochester Pres.
- Yukl G. Leadership in organizations (5th ed.). Englewood Cliffs, 2002, Prantice Hall.
Publication order reference