Comparison of a New Test For Agility and Skill in Soccer With Other Agility Tests
Languages of publication
The purpose of this study was both to develop a novel test to measure run, shuttle run and directional change agility, and soccer shots on goal with decision making and to compare it with other agility tests. Multiple comparisons and assessments were conducted, including test-retest, Illinois, Zig-Zag, 30 m, Bosco, T-drill agility, and Wingate peak power tests. A total of 113 Turkish amateur and professional soccer players and tertiary-level students participated in the study. Test-retest and inter-tester reliability testing measures were conducted with athletes. The correlation coefficient of the new test was .88, with no significant difference (p> 0.01> 0.01) between the test results obtained in the first and second test sessions. The results of an analysis of variance revealed a significant (p < 0.01) difference between the T-drill agility and power test results for soccer players. The new agility and skill test is an acceptable and reliable test when considering test-retest reliability and inter-rater reliability. The findings in this study suggest that the novel soccer-specific agility and shooting test can be utilized in the testing and identification of soccer players' talents.
1 - 6 - 2012
4 - 7 - 2012
- Education Faculty, Kırıkkale University, TURKEY
- School of Physical Education and Sport, Kırıkkale University, TURKEY
- Education Faculty, Department of Physical Education and Sport, Kırıkkale University, TURKEY
- Education Faculty, Department of Computer Education and Instructional Technologies, Kırıkkale University, TURKEY
- Abernethy B, Russell DG. Expert-novice difference in an applied selective attention task. J Sport Exercise Psy, 1987; 9(4): 326-345.
- Chelladurai P, Yuhasz M, Sipura R. The reactive agility test. Percept Motor Skill, 1977; 44: 1319-1324.[Crossref]
- Davis R, Phillips R, Roscoe J, Roscoe D. Physical Education and the Study of Sport. Edinburgh: Mosby Company, 2000.
- Docherty D, Wenger HA, Neary P. Time-motion analysis related to the physiological demands of rugby. J Hum Movement Stud, 1988; 14: 269-277.
- Farrow D, Young W, Bruce L. The development of a test of reactive agility for netball: a new methodology. J Sci Med Sport, 2005; 8(1): 40-48.
- Hertel J, Denegar CR, Johnson PD, Hale SA, Buckly WE. Reliability of the cybex reactor in the assessment of an agility task. J Sport Rehabil, 1999; 8: 24-31.
- Jordet G, Hartman E, Visscher C, Lemmink KA. Kicks from the penalty mark in soccer: the roles of stres, skill, and fatigue for kick outcomes. J Sport Sci, 2007; 25(2):121-129.[Crossref][WoS]
- Kowacks EM, Senden JM, Brouns F. Urine colour, osmolality and specific electrical conductance are not accurate measures of hydration status during post-exercise rehydration. J Sport Med Phys Fit, 1999; 39(1): 47-53.
- Little T, Williams AG. Specificity of acceleration, maximum speed, and agility in professional soccer players. J Strength Cond Res, 2005; 19(1): 76-78.[PubMed]
- Little T, Williams AG. Measures of exercise intensity during soccer training drills with professional soccer players. J Strength Cond Res, 2007; 21(2): 367-371.[PubMed][WoS]
- Meckel Y, Machnai O, Eliakim A. Relationship among repeated sprint tests, aerobic fitness, and anaerobic fitness in elite adolescent soccer players. J Strength Cond Res, 2009; 23(1): 163-169.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Miller MG, Herniman JJ, Rickard MD, Cheatham CC, Michael TJ. The effects of a 6-week plyometric training program on agility. J Sport Sci Med, 2006; 5: 459-465.
- Pauole K, Madole K, Lacourse M. Reliability and validity of the T-test as a measure of agility, leg power and leg speed in college aged men and women. J Strength Cond Res, 2000; 14: 443-450.
- Roozen M. Illinois agility test. NSCA's Perform Training J, 2004; 3(5): 5-6.
- Semenick D. Test and measurements: The T- test. Nat Strength Cond Assoc J, 1990; 12(1): 36-37.[Crossref]
- Sheppard, JM, Young WB. Agility literature review: classifications, training and testing. J Sport Sci, 2006; 24(9): 919-932.[Crossref]
- Sheppard JM, Young WB, Doyle TLA, Sheppard TA, Newton RU. An evaluation of a new test of reactive agility and its relationship to sprint speed and change of direction speed. J Sci Med Sport, 2006; 9(4): 342-349.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Tenenbaum G, Levy-kolker N, Sade S, Liebermann DG, Lidor R. Anticipation and confidence of decisions related to skilled performance. Int J Sport Psychol, 1996; 27(3): 293-307.
- Thomas JR, Nelson JK. Research Methods in Physical Activity (4th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2001.
Publication order reference