Relationship Between Motor Variability, Accuracy, and Ball Speed in the Tennis Serve
Languages of publication
The main objective of this study was to analyze the motor variability in the performance of the tennis serve and its relationship to performance outcome. Seventeen male tennis players took part in the research, and they performed 20 serves. Linear and non-linear variability during the hand movement was measured by 3D Motion Tracking. Ball speed was recorded with a sports radar gun and the ball bounces were video recorded to calculate accuracy. The results showed a relationship between the amount of variability and its non-linear structure found in performance of movement and the outcome of the serve. The study also found that movement predictability correlates with performance. An increase in the amount of movement variability could affect the tennis serve performance in a negative way by reducing speed and accuracy of the ball.
1 - 6 - 2012
4 - 7 - 2012
- Bartlett RM. Movement variability and its implications for sports scientists and practitioners: an overview. Int J Sports Sci Coach 2008; 1(3): 113-124.[Crossref][WoS]
- Bernstein N. The co-ordination and regulation of movements. Nueva York: Pergamon Press; 1967.
- Best RJ, Bartlett RM, Sawyer RA. Optimal javelin release. J Appl Biomech 1995; 11: 371-394.
- Darling WG, Cooke JD. Changes in the variability of movement trajectories with practice. J Motor Behav 1987; 19(3): 291-309.[Crossref]
- Davids K, Button C, Bennett S. Dynamics of Skill Acquisition: A Constraints-led Approach. Champaign, Illinois: Human Kinetics; 2008.[WoS]
- Elliott B. Biomechanics and tennis. In: Correia PP, Coutinho C, editors. Investigação e Ténis, Lisboa: FMH edições; 2007. p. 9 - 23.
- Elliot B, Fleisig G, Nicholls R, Escamilla R. Technique effects on upper limb loading in the tennis serve. J Sci Med Sport 2003; 6(1): 76-87.[Crossref]
- Elliott B, Reid M, Crespo M. Techinique development in tennis stroke production. London: International Tennis Federation; 2009.
- Glazier PS, Davids K, Bartlett RM. (2003). Dynamical system theory: A relevant framework for performanceoriented sports biomechanics research? Sport Sci (online) 2003 march 7 (cited 2009). Available in: http//www.sportsci.org/jour/03/psg.htm.
- Hamilton GR, Reinschmidt C. Optimal trayectory for basketball free throw. J Sport Sci 1997; 15: 491-504.[Crossref]
- Kugler PN, Turvey MT. Information, natural law, and the self-assembly of rhythmic movement. New York: Hillsdale: Lawrence Earlbaum Associates; 1987.
- Latash M L. Synergy. New York: Oxford University Press; 2008.
- Menayo R. Analysis of the relationship between consistency in the execution of motor pattern in tennis service, accuracy and learning in variability conditions (thesis). Cáceres: University of Extremadura; 2010.
- Menayo R, Moreno FJ, Fuentes JP, Reina R, García JA. Relationship between variability of practice and variability of execution in flat tennis service. Motricidad. Eur J Hum Mov 2010; 25: 1-21.
- Mendes P, Mendes, RM, Fuentes JP, Campos FJ, Menayo R and Araújo D. Performance factors in the first serve in competitive tennis players. Rev. Educ. Fis./UEM. 2011; 22 (3): 315-326.
- Messier J, Kalaska JF. Comparison of variability of initial kinematics and endpoints of reaching movements. Exp Brain Res 1999; 125: 139-152.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Miller SA. Variability in basketball shooting: practical implications. In: Hong Y, editor. International Research in Sports Biomechanics. London: Routledge; 2002. p. 27-34.
- Nashner L.M., McCollum G. The organization of postural movements: A formal basis and experimental synthesis. Behav Brain Sci 1985; 26: 135-172.[Crossref]
- Newell KM, Corcos DM. Issues in variability and motor control. In: Newell KM, Corcos DM, editors. Variability and Motor Control. Champaign IL: Human Kinetics; 1993. p. 1-12.
- Pérez MA, Nussbaum MA. Posture and motion variability in non-repetitive manual materials handling tasks. Hum Movement Sci 2006; 25(3): 409-421.[Crossref]
- Pincus SM. Approximate entropy as a measure of system complexity. In: Proceedings of the national academy of Sciences of the USA. USA: 1991. 88(6). p. 2297-2301.[Crossref]
- Riley MA, Turvey M. Variability and determinism in motor behaviour. J Motor Behav 2002; 64: 99-125.[Crossref]
- Robins M, Wheat J, Irwin G, Bartlett R. The effect of shooting distance on continuous coordination variability in basketball. J Hum Movement Sci 2006; 20: 218-238.
- Van Emmerik REA, van Wegen EEH. On variability and stability in human movement. J Appl Biomech 2000; 16: 394-406.
Publication order reference