Qualitative Evaluation of Water Displacement in Simulated Analytical Breaststroke Movements
Languages of publication
One purpose of evaluating a swimmer is to establish the individualized optimal technique. A swimmer's particular body structure and the resulting movement pattern will cause the surrounding water to react in differing ways. Consequently, an assessment method based on flow visualization was developed complimentary to movement analysis and body structure quantification. A fluorescent dye was used to make the water displaced by the body visible on video. To examine the hypothesis on the propulsive mechanisms applied in breaststroke swimming, we analyzed the movements of the surrounding water during 4 analytical breaststroke movements using the flow visualization technique.
1 - 5 - 2012
30 - 5 - 2012
- Arellano, R., Terrés-Nicoli, J. M., Redondo, J. M. Fundamental hydrodynamics of swimming propulsion. Portuguese Journal of Sport Sciences, 2006; 6 (supl. 2):15-20
- Colman, V. Bewegings- en fysieke diagnose bij schoolslagzwemmers (In Dutch: Movement and physical diagnosis in breaststroke swimmers. Leuven: Faculty of Physical Education and Kinesitherapy of Catholic University of Leuven. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, 1991
- Colman, V., Martens, J., Soons, B., Persyn, U. Experimenting with various styles to optimize the performance per crawl event. Portuguese Journal of Sport Science, 2006; 6 (supl. 2): 214-216
- Colwin, C. M. Swimming into the 21st century. Champaign (Illinois): Leisure Press, 1992.
- Counsilman, J. E. The science of swimming. Englewood Cliffs NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc, 1968.
- Counsilman, J. E. The application of Bernoulli's principle to human propulsion in water. In Lewillie L. & Clarys J. P. (Eds) First International Symposium on Biomechanics in Swimming, Water polo and Diving Science, 1970; 288: 59-71
- Dickinson, M. H. Farley, C. T., Full, R. J., Koehl, M. A. R., Kram, R., and Lehman, S. How animals move: An integrative view. Science, 2000, 288, 100-106.
- Ito, S. Fundamental fluid dynamic research on configuration of the hand palm in synchronized swimming. Portuguese Journal of Sport Science, 2006; 6 (supl. 2): 45-48.
- Maglisho, E. W. Swimming fastest; The essential reference on technique training and program design. Champaign (Illinios): Human Kinetics, 2003
- Mc Elroy, K., Blanksby, B. Intra-cycle velocity fluctuations on highly skilled breaststroke swimmers. Australian Journal for Health, Physical Education and Recreation, 1976; 71: 25-34.
- Persyn, U., Colman, V. What are the best breaststrokers doing now? In: Sanders, R. & Linsten, J. (Eds), Applied Proceedings of the XVII International Symposium on Biomechanics in sports, 1999: 33-46.
- Persyn, U., Colman, V., Ungerechts, B. Diagnosis & advice in the undulating strokes, Coaches' Information Service-website:
- Persyn, U., Colman, V., Soons, B. New combinations of hydrodynamic concepts in swimming, In: Chatard, J. C. (Ed.) Biomechanics and Medicine in Swimming IX, 2003: 7-14
- Schleihauf, R. E. A hydrodynamics analysis of swimming propulsion. In: Terauds, J., Bedingfield, E. W. (Eds.) Swimming III, 1979: 70-109
- Silva, A., Colman, V., Soons, B., Alves, F., Persyn, U. Performance relevant time-space variables for breaststroke: sex differentiation and whole group. In: Chatard, J. C. (Ed.) Biomechanics and Medicine in Swimming IX, 2003: 179-183
- Soons, B. Confirmation by flow visualization of propulsion hypotheses in symmetrical swimming needed for diagnosis. Leuven: Faculty of Engineering of Catholic University of Leuven. Unpublished master thesis, 2003
- Van Lammeren, W. Weerstand en voortstuwing van schepen (In Dutch: Drag and propulsion concerning ship). Amsterdam: De technische boekhandel, 1944:s.p.
- Verbrugge, B. Quantitative movement analysis in elite breaststroke swimmers for developing qualitative diagnosis. Faculty of Kinesiology and Rehabilitational Sciences of Catholic University of Leuven. Unpublished master thesis, 2006
- Vilas Boas, J. P. Speed fluctuations and energy cost of different breaststroke techniques, in: Troup, J. P., Hollander, A. P., Strasse, D., Trappe, S. W., Cappaert, J. M., Trappe, T. A. (Eds) Biomechanics and Medicine in Swimming VII, 1996: 167-171
Publication order reference