The Relationship Between Muscle Strength, Anaerobic Performance, Agility, Sprint Ability and Vertical Jump Performance in Professional Basketball Players
Languages of publication
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between isokinetic knee strength, anaerobic performance, sprinting ability, agility and vertical jump performance in first division basketball players. Twelve male first division basketball players participated in this study. The mean age was 25.1 ± 1.7 yrs; mean body height 194.8 ± 5.7 cm; mean body mass 92.3± 9.8 kg; mean PBF 10.1± 5.1; and mean VO2max 50.55 ± 6.7 ml/kg/min. Quadriceps and hamstrings were measured at 60° and 180°/s, anaerobic performance was evaluated using the Wingate anaerobic power test, sprint ability was determined by single sprint performance (10-30 m), jump performance was evaluated by countermovement (CMJ) and squat jump (SJ) tests and agility performance was measured using the T drill agility test. Quadriceps strength was significantly correlated with peak power at all contraction velocities. However, for mean power, significant correlation was only found between the 60° left and 180° right knee quadriceps measurements. No measure of strength was significantly related to the measurements from/results of field tests. Moreover, strong relations were found between the performance of athletes in different field tests (p< 0.05). The use of correlation analysis is the limitation of the this study.
1 - 3 - 2012
3 - 4 - 2012
- Abdelkrim N, Fazaa S, Ati J. Time-motion analysis and physiological data of elite under-19-year-old basketball players during competition. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2007; 41: 69-75[Crossref]
- Arslan C. Relationship between the 30-second Wingate test and characteristics of isometric and explosive leg strength in young subjects, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2005; 19(3) 658-666.
- Alexander M. The relationship between muscle strength and sprint kinematics in elite sprinters. Canadian Jour nal of Sports Science, 1989; 14, 148± 157.
- Baker D, Nance S. The relation between strength and power in professional rugby league players, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (1999); 13(3) 224-229.
- Baker D, Nance S. The relation between running speed and measures of strength and power in professional rugby league players, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (1999b); 13(3) 230-235
- Bobbert M, van Zandwijk, J. Dynamics of force and muscle stimulation in human vertical jumping. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 1999; 31, 303-310.[Crossref]
- Bosco C, Belli A, Astrua M, Tihanyi J, Pozzo R, Kellis S, et al. A dynamometer for evaluation of dynamic muscle work. European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology 1995; 70: 379-386.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Bosco C, Luhtanen P, Komi P. A simple method for measurement of mechanical power in jumping. European Journal of Applied Physiology 1983; 50: 273-282[Crossref]
- Castagna C, Abt G, Manzi V, Annino G, Padua E, D'ottavıo S. Effect of recovery mode on repeated sprint ability in young basketball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2008; 22(3): 923-929[WoS][Crossref]
- Castagna C, Chaouachi A, Rampinini E, Chamari K, Impellizzeri F. Aerobic and explosive power performance of elite Italian regional-level basketball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2009; 23(7): 1982-1987[WoS][Crossref]
- Castagna C, Manzi V, D'Ottavio S, Annino G, Padua E, Bishop D. Relation between maximal aerobic power and the ability to repeat sprints in young basketball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2007; 21(4):1172-1176.
- Colli, R, Faina, M, Gallozi, C, Lupo, S, and Marini, C. Endurance training in sport games. Mag Sport Educ 1987; 8: 78-86.
- Cronin B, Hansen T. Strength and power predictors of sports speed, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2005; 19(2), 349-357.[WoS]
- Delextrat A, Cohen D. Strength, power, speed, and agility of women basketball players according to playing position. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2009; 23(7): 1974-1981[Crossref][WoS]
- Dowson M, Nevill M, Lakomy H, Nevill A, Hazeldine R. Modelling the relationship between isokinetic muscle strength and sprint running performance. Journal of Sports Sciences, 1998; 16, 257± 265[Crossref]
- Drinkwater E, Pyne D, McKenna M. Design and interpretation of anthropometric and fitness testing of basketball players. Sports Medicine 2008;38 (7): 565-578[WoS][Crossref]
- Erculj F, Blas M, Bracic M. Physical demands on young elite European female basketball players with special reference to speed, agility, explosive strength, and take-off power. J Strength Cond Res 2010; 24(11): 2970-2978[Crossref][WoS]
- Hedrick A. Strength and power training for basketball. National Strength & Conditioning Association Journal 1993;15: 31-35
- Hennessy L, Kilty J. Relationship of the stretch-shortening cycle to sprint performance in trained female athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2001; 15, 326-331.
- Hoffman R., Epstein S, Einbinder M, Weinstein Y. A Comparison Between the Wingate Anaerobic Power Test to Both Vertical Jump and Line Drill Tests in Basketball Players Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2000; 14(3), 261-264
- Inbar, O. Bar-Or, Skinner J, The Wingate Anaerobic Test, Human Kinetic, Champaign, IL, 1996, 41-71.
- Iossifidou A, Baltzopoulos V, Giakas G, Isokinetic knee extension and vertical jumping: Are they related? Journal of Sports Sciences, October 2005; 23(10): 1121-1127[Crossref]
- Kaczkowski W, Montgomery DL, Taylor AW, Klissouras V. The relationship between muscle fibre composition and maximal anaerobic power and capacity. J. Sports Med. 1982; 22: 407-413.
- Kin-İşler A, Ariburuna B, Ozkana A, Aytarb A, Tandogan R. The relationship between anaerobic performance, muscle strength and sprint ability in American football players Isokinetics and Exercise Science 2008, 16: 87-92
- Léger L, Gadoury C. Validity of the 20 m shuttle run test with 1 min stages to predict VO2max in adults. Can J Sport Sci. 1989;14(1):21-6.
- Little T, Williams A, Specificity of acceleration, maximum speed, and agility in professional soccer players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2005; 19, 76-78.
- Janeira MA, Maia J. Game intensity in basketball. An interactionist view linking time-motion analysis, lactate concentration and heart rate. Coaching and Sport Science Journal 1998; 3:26-30.
- Lohman TG, Roche AF, Marorell R. (Eds.). Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual. Human Kinetics Books, Champaign: IL. 1988
- Mayhew J., Hancock K., Rollison L., Ball T. and Bowen J. Contributions of strength and body composition to the gender difference in anaerobic power, Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. 2001; 41: 33-38.
- Meckell Y, Casorla T, Eliakim A. The influence of basketball dribbling on repeated sprints. International Journal of Coaching Science 2009; 3(2): 43-56.[WoS]
- Metaxas T, Koutlianos N, Sendelides T, Mandroukas A. Preseason physiological profile of soccer and basketball players in different divisions. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2009; 23(6): 1704-1713[Crossref][WoS]
- Newman M, Tarpenning K, Marino F. Relationships between isokinetic knee strength, single sprint performance and repeated-sprint ability in football players, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (2004); 18(4) 867-872
- Norkowski H. Anaerobic power of handball players representing various sport levels Journal of Human Kinetics 2002; 7
- Patterson S, Udermann B, Doberstein S, Reineke D. The effects of cold whirlpool on power, speed, agility, and range of motion. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 2008;7: 387-394.
- Patton JF, Duggan A. An evaluation of tests of anaerobic power. Aviat. Space Environ. Med. 1987; 58: 237-242.
- Paoule K, Madole K, Garhammer J, Lacourse M, Rozenek R. Reliability and validity of the t-test as a measure of agility, leg power, and leg speed in college-aged men and women. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2000; 14, 443-450.
- Semenick D. The T-Test. National Strength & Conditioning Association Journal 1990;12(1): 36-37.
- Tharp G, Newhouse R, Uffelman L, Thorland W, Johnson G. Comparison of sprint and run times with performance on the Wingate anaerobic test. Res. Q Exerc Sport. 1985; 56:73-76.[Crossref]
- Thorland W, Johnson G, Cisar C, Housh T, Tharp G. Strength and anaerobic responses of elite young female sprint and distance runners, Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 1987; 19(1): 56-61.
- Tomlin D, Wenger HA. The relationship between aerobic fitness and recovery from high intensity intermittent exercise. Sports Medicine 2001; 31:1-11.[Crossref]
- Zajac F. Understanding muscle coordination of the human leg with dynamical simulations. Journal of Biomechanics. 2002; 35, 1011-1018.[Crossref][PubMed]
Publication order reference