Effect of the Level of Coordinated Motor Abilities on Performance in Junior Judokas
Languages of publication
The main focus of this study was to identify coordinated motor abilities that affect fighting methods and performance in junior judokas. Subjects were selected for the study in consideration of their age, competition experience, body mass and prior sports level. Subjects' competition history was taken into consideration when analysing the effectiveness of current fight actions, and individual sports level was determined with consideration to rank in the analysed competitions.The study sought to determine the level of coordinated motor abilities of competitors. The scope of this analysis covered the following aspects: kinaesthetic differentiation, movement frequency, simple and selective reaction time (evoked by a visual or auditory stimulus), spatial orientation, visual-motor coordination, rhythmization, speed, accuracy and precision of movements and the ability to adapt movements and balance. A set of computer tests was employed for the analysis of all of the coordination abilities, while balance examinations were based on the Flamingo Balance Test. Finally, all relationships were determined based on the Spearman's rank correlation coefficient. It was observed that the activity of the contestants during the fight correlated with the ability to differentiate movements and speed, accuracy and precision of movement, whereas the achievement level during competition was connected with reaction time.
1 - 12 - 2011
25 - 12 - 2011
- Borkowski L, Faff J, Starczewska-Czapowska J, Evaluation of the aerobic and anaerobic fitness in judoists from the Polish National Team. Biol Sport 2001; 18: 107-117.
- Committee of Experts on Sports Research. EUROFIT: Handbook for EUROFIT Tests of Physical Fitness. 2nd ed. Strasbourg, Council of Europe Publishing and Documentation Service, 1993.
- Domholdt E. Physical Therapy Research. Principles and Applications. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Co, 2000; 347-359.
- Drid P, Ostojić S, Maksimović N, Pejčić J, Matić R, Obadov S. The effects of judo training on anthropometric characteristics and motor abilities of primary school boys. Homo Sporticus, 2009; 11: 28-32.
- Franchini E, Nunes AV, Moraes JM, Del Vecchio FB. Physical fitness and anthropometrical profile of the Brazilian male judo team. J Physiol Anthropol, 2007; 26: 59-67.
- Hrysomallis C. Balance ability and athletic performance. Sports Med, 2011; 41: 221-32. http://www.schuhfried.at/wiener-testsystem-wts/2011 [Crossref]
- Iwai K, Okada T, Nakazato K, Fujimoto H, Yamamoto Y, Nakajima H. Sport-specific characteristics of trunk muscles in collegiate wrestlers and judokas. J Strength Cond Res, 2008; 22: 350-8.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- Juras G, Słomka K, Ferdyk A, Sobota G, Bacik B. Evaluation of the Limits of Stability (LOS) Balance Test. Journal of Human Kinetics, 2008; 19: 39-52.
- Kirkendall D. R, Gruber J. J, Johnson R. E: Measurement and Evaluation for Physical Educators. Human Kinetics Publl. Inc. Champain, Illinois; 1987.
- Lech G, Jaworski J, Krawczyk R. Level of coordinative motor abilities and the course of fights and level of achievements of senior judo participants [In Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 2007; 40: 63-69.
- Lech G, Sterkowicz S, Rukasz W. Significance of body height in martial arts (as exemplified by Judo fighters). Human Movement, 2007; 15: 21-26.
- Lech G, Tyka A, Pałka T, Krawczyk R. The physical capacity and the course of fights and the ports level of judo juniors. Arch Budo, 2010; 6: 1-6.
- Little NG. Physical performance attributes of junior and senior women, juvenile, junior, and senior men judokas. J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 1991; 31: 510-20.
- May TW, Baumann C, Worms L, Koring W, Aring R. Effects of judo training on physical coordination and body sway in adolescents and young adults with multiple impairments and epilepsy [In German]. Deutsche Zeitschrift fuer Sportmedizin, 2001; 52: 245-251.
- Thomas SG, Cox MH, LeGal YM, Verde TJ, Smith HK. Physiological profiles of the Canadian National Judo Team. Can J Sport Sci, 1989; 14: 142-7. www.koordinationstraining.com 2011
Publication order reference