Kinematics and Kinetics of Taekwon-do Side Kick
Languages of publication
The aim of the paper is to present an analysis of the influence of selected kinematic factors on the side kick technique. This issue is especially important in the traditional version of taekwon-do, in which a single strike may reveal the winner. Six taekwon-do (International Taekwon-do Federation) athletes were asked to participate in this case study. Generally accepted criteria of sports technique biomechanical analysis were adhered to. The athletes executed a side kick three times (in Taekwon-do terminology referred to as yop chagi) in a way which they use the kick in board breaking. The obtained data were used to determine the mean velocity changes in the function of relative extension length of the kicking leg. The maximum knee and foot velocities in the Cartesian coordinate system were determined. The leg lifting time and the duration of kick execution as well as the maximum force which the standing foot exerted on the ground were also determined. On the basis of the obtained values, mean values and standard deviations were calculated. The correlation dependence (r=0.72) shows that greater knee velocity affects the velocity which the foot develops as well as the fact that the total time of kick execution depends on the velocity which the knee (r = -0.59) and the foot (r = -0.86) develop in the leg lifting phase. The average maximum speed was obtained at the length of the leg equal to 82% of the maximum length of the fully extended leg. This length can be considered the optimum value for achieving the maximum dynamics of the kick.
1 - 12 - 2011
25 - 12 - 2011
- Blum H. (1977). Physics and the art kicking and punch. American Journal of Physics 45: 61-64[Crossref]
- Boey, L. W., Xie, W. (2002). Experimental investigation of turning kick performance of Singapore National Taekwondo players. Proceedings of the 20th International Symposium on Biomechanics in Sport. Caceres, Spain, 302-305.
- Choi Hong Hi (1983). Encyklopedia of Taekwon-do. International Taekwon-do Federation. Canada.
- Choi Hong Hi (1995). Taekwon-do. The Korean Art of Self-Defence. International Taekwon-do Federation. New Zealand.
- Falco C., Alvarez O., Castillo I., Estevan I., Martos J., Mugarra F., Iradi A. (2009). Influence of the distance in a roundhouse kick's execution time and impact force in Taekwondo. Journal of Biomechanics 42:242-248[WoS][Crossref]
- Hay J. G. (1993). The biomechanics of sport techniques. 4th edition. Prentice Hall. Englewood Cliffs NJ.
- Hwang, I. S. (1987). Analysis of the kicking leg in taekwondo, In: J. Terauds, B. Gowitzke and L. Holt (eds.). Biomechanics in sports III & IV. Proceedings of ISBS, Del Mar, CA: Academic Publishers, 39-47
- Lee, S. H., Jung, C. J., Sin, S. H., & Lee, D. W. (2001) An analysis of the angular momentum of dolyeo chagi in taekwondo. International Journal of Applied Sport Science 13(1): 18-32.
- Pieter, F., & Pieter, W. (1995). Speed and force of selected taekwondo techniques. Biology of Sport 12(4): 257-266.
- Pieter F., Pieter W., Heijmans (1987) Movement analysis of taekwondo technique, Asian Journal Physical Education 10:45-58
- Stull R. A., J.N, Barham (1990) An analysis of work and power produced by different styles in the karate reverse punch in front stance. Biomechanics in Sports VI, Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Biomechanics in Sports, International Society of Biomechanics in Sports and Department of Health and Human Development, E. Kreighbaum and A. McNeill (eds.) Montana State University, Bozeman, 225-231
- Sørensen, H., Zacho, M., Simonsen, E. B., Dyhre-Poulsen, P., & Klausen, K. (1996) Dynamics of the martial arts high front kick. Journal of Sports Sciences 14(6): 483-495.[Crossref]
- Smith P.K, J. Hamill (1986) The effect of punching glove type and skill level on force transfer. Journal Humanes Movment Study 13:153-161
- Vos J. A., R. A. Binkhorst (1966) Velocity and rorce of some karate arm-movements, Nature 211:89-90
- Wilk S, McNair R, Feld M (1982) Strikes. American Journal of Physics 51(9): 783-90
- Walker J. D. (1975) Karate Strikes. American Journal of Physics 43: 845-49[Crossref]
- Wąsik J. (2007) Power breaking in taekwon-do - physical analysis. Archives of Budo 3: 68-71
- Wąsik J. (2009a) Chosen aspects of physics in martial arts. Archives of Budo 5: 11-14
- Wąsik J. (2006) Performance of the twimyo nopi ap chagi test. Archives of Budo 2: 15-18
- Wąsik J. (2009b) Structure of movement of a turning technique used in the event of special techniques in Taekwon-do ITF. Archives of Budo 5: 111-115
Publication order reference