Psychometric Properties of The Greek Version of the Test of Performance Strategies-Competition Scale (TOPS-CS)
Languages of publication
The aim of the present study was to examine the psychometric properties of the Test of Performance Strategies-Competition scale (TOPS-CS; Thomas et al., 1999) in Greek athletic population. The TOPS-CS was designed to assess eight psychological strategies used by athletes in competition (activation, automaticity, emotional control, goal-setting, imagery, negative thinking, relaxation and self-talk). In order to evaluate the psychometric properties of the inventory, two different research studies were conducted in two different age groups (n1=382 athletes, aged 16 to 20 years and n2=343 athletes, aged 12 to 15 years). Furthermore, 263 athletes, (aged 16 to 20 years) completed the TOPS-CS, purposing to perform confirmatory factor analysis. The results of the first study supported the initial factorial structure of the TOPS-CS for athletes aged 16-20 years. Reliability analysis also provided adequate evidence for the internal consistency and stability of the scale for Greek athletes of this age. However, for athletes aged 12 to 15 years, the validity and reliability of the inventory were questionable and further research is required.
1 - 9 - 2011
4 - 10 - 2011
- Arbuckle J. Amos user's guide: Version 3.6. Chicago, IL: Small Waters Corporation, 1997.
- Arkaev LJ. Sutsilin NG. Kak gatovits tsampionov. Moscow, Fizkultura I sport, 2004.
- Balague G. Understanding Identity, Value and Meaning When Working with Elite Athletes. Sport Psychol, 1999; 13, 89-98.
- Bentler PM, Bonett DG. Significance tests and goodness of fit of covariance structures. Psychol Bull; 1980, 88, 588-606.[Crossref]
- Bollen KA. A new incremental fit index for general structural equation models. Sociol Method Res; 1989, 17, 303-316.[Crossref]
- Cohen A, Tenenbaum G, English RW. Emotions and golf performance. An IZOF-Based applied sport psychology case study. Behav Modif; 2006, 30(3), 259-280.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Comrey AL, Lee HB. A First Course in Factor Analysis, 2nd edn. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1992.
- Gould D, Dieffenbach K, Moffat A. Psychological characteristics and their development in Olympic champions. J Appl Sport Psychol; 2002, 14, 172-204.[Crossref]
- Hanton S, Jones JG. The acquisition and development of cognitive skills and strategies: I. Making the butterflies fly in formation. Sport Psychol; 1999, 13, 1-21.
- Hardy L, Jones JG, Gould D. Understanding Psychological Preparation for Sport: Theory and Practice of Elite Performers. Chichester, UK: Wiley, 1996.
- Harwood C, Swain A. The development and activation of achievement goals in tennis: I. Understanding the underlying factors. Sport Psychol; 2001, 15, 319-341.
- Hayslip B, Petrie TA, MacIntire MM, Jones GM. The Influences of Skill Level, Anxiety, and Psychological Skills Use on Amateur Golfers' Performances. J Appl Sport Psychol; 2010, 22, 123-133.[WoS][Crossref]
- Jackson SA, Thomas PR, Marsh HW, Smethurst CJ. Relationships between flow, self-concept, psychological skills and performance. J Appl Sport Psychol; 2000, 13, 129-153.
- Jones G, Hanton S, Connaughton D. What Is This Thing Called Mental Toughness? An Investigation of Elite Sport Performers. J Appl Sport Psychol; 2002, 14, 205-218.[Crossref]
- Lane AM, Harwood C, Terry PC, Karageorghis CI. Confirmatory factor analysis of the Test of Performance Strategies (TOPS) among adolescent athletes. J Sport Sci; 2004, 22, 803-812.[Crossref]
- Malina MR, Bouchard C. Growth, Maturation, and Physical Activity. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1991.
- McCarthy PJ, Jones MV, Harwood CG, Olivier S. What Do Young Athletes Implicitly Understand About Psychological Skills? J Clin Sport Psychol; 2010; 4, 158-172.
- Mahoney MJ, Gabriel TJ, Perkins TS. Psychological skills and exceptional athletic performance. Sport Psychol; 1987, 1, 181-199.
- Neil R, Mellalieu DS, Hanton S. Psychological skills usage and the competitive anxiety response as a function of skill level in rugby union. J Sports Sci Med; 2006, 5, 415-423.[PubMed]
- Schutz RW, Gessaroli ME. Use, misuse and disuse of statistics in psychology research. In RN Singer, M Murphey, LK Tennant (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Sport Psychology (pp. 901-921). New York: Mamillan, 1993.
- Smith RE, Schutz RW, Smoll FL, Ptacek JT. Development and validation of a multidimensional measure of sport-specific psychological skills: the Athletic Coping Skills Inventory-28. J Sport Exercise Psy; 1995, 17, 379-398.
- Stallard P. A clinician's guide to Think Good-Feel Good: Using CBT with children and young people. Chichester: Wiley, 2005.
- Taylor J. A conceptual model for integrating athlete's needs and sports demands of competitive mental preparation strategies. Sport Psychol; 1995, 9, 339-357.
- Taylor M, Gould D, Rolo C. Performance Strategies of U.S Olympians in practice and competition. High Abil Stud; 2008, 19, 19-36.[Crossref][WoS]
- Thomas PR, Murphy S, Hardy L. Test of Performance Strategies: development and preliminary validation of a comprehensive measure of athlete's psychological skills. J Sport Sci; 1999, 17, 697-711.[Crossref]
- Williams AM, Reilly T. Talent identification and development in soccer. J Sport Sci; 2000, 18, 657-667.[Crossref]
Publication order reference