Kinematic Analysis of Canoe Stroke and its Changes During Different Types of Paddling Pace - Case Study
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to describe and evaluate movements of an elite canoeist when different paddling paces are applied. One of the tasks consisted of finding differences in time-space characteristics of selected markers in the referencing system canoeist's body - canoe. 3D kinematic analysis was used for identification and comparison of selected parameters. The study confirmed that an elite canoeist has a high level of movement similarity in all types of stroke rates; differences were mainly found in time sequence of applied strokes. To evaluate properly the racing stroke rate, start, flying start, 200m pace, 500m pace, and 1000m pace were chosen. One of the evaluated parameters was the boat velocity that was 2.1-4.5 ms-1 at start, 3.2-5.2 ms-1 at flying start, 3.9-6.1 ms-1 at 200m pace, 3.9-5.9 ms-1 at 500m pace and 3.0-5.4 ms-1 at 1000m pace. Vertical change of the position of the right hand was 0.77 m at start, 0.73 m at flying start, 0.87 at 200m pace, 0.89 at 500m pace and 0.81 m at 1000m pace.
1 - 9 - 2011
4 - 10 - 2011
- Alken D, Neal, R. An on-water analysis system for quantifying stroke force characteristics during kayak events. Int J Sport Biomech, 1992; 8: 165-173
- Baker J, Rath D, Sanders R, Kelly B. A three dimensional analysis of male and female elite sprint kayak paddlers. In Sanders RH, Gibson BJ. (Eds.), Scientific Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on Biomechanics in Sport, Perth: Edith Cowan University, 1999; 53-56
- Caplan NA. A simulation of outrigger canoe paddling performance. In Estivalet M, Brisson P. (Eds.), The Engineering of Sport 7, Springer-Verlag, Paris, 2008; 97-105
- Doktor M. Technika a taktika pádlování v rychlostní kanoistice - disciplína C1. [Paddling technique and tactics in sprint canoeing - C1]. Thesis, Prague: UK FTVS, 2001
- Hunter A, Cochrane J, Sachlidikis A. (2008). Canoe slalom competition analysis. Sports Biomech, 2008; 7: 24-37
- Janura M, Kubu M, Kratochvil J, Stromsik P. Kinematic analysis of forward stroke at wild water kayak paddling. In Vavreka F, Janura M. (Eds.), Proceedings of the conference BIOMECHANICS OF MAN 2000. Olomouc: University of Palackianes, 2000: 251-254.
- Janura M, Zahalka F. (2004). Kinematická analýza pohybu člověka. [Kinematic analysis of human movement] University of Palackianaes, Olomouc, 2004
- Plagenhoef S. (1979) Biomechanical analysis of Olympic flatwater kayaking and canoeing, Research Quarterly, 1979; 50: 443-459
- Sanders R, Baker J. Evolution of technique in flatwater kayaking. In. Issurin V. (Ed.). Science & Praktice of Canoe/Kayak High Performance Training, Wingate Institute for Physical Education and Sport, Izrael, 1998, 67-81
- Sanders R, Kendal S. A description of Olympic flatwater kayak stroke technique. Australian J Sci Med Sport, 1992; 24: 25-30
- Sperlich J, Baker J. Biomechanical testing in elite canoeing. In Gianikellis KE (Ed.), Proceedings of the XXth International Symposiium on Biomechanics in Sports. Cacares, Spain, 2002: 44-47.
- Süss V, Bily M, Bunc V. (2008) Evaluation of specific speed and endurance preconditions of white-water canoeists. International Journal of Fitness, 2008; 4: 15-25
- Szanto C. Racing canoeing. Bejing, China printing corporation, 1994
Publication order reference