Anthropometric Typology of Male and Female Rowers Using K-Means Clustering
Languages of publication
The aim of this paper is to present the morphological features of rowers. The objective is to establish the type of body build best suited to the present requirements of this sports discipline through the determination of the most important morphological features in rowing with regard to the type of racing boat. The subjects of this study included competitors who practise rowing and were members of the Junior National Team. The considered variables included a group of 32 anthropometric measurements of body composition determined using the BIA method among male and female athletes, while also including rowing boat categories. In order to determine the analysed structures of male and female rowers, an observation analysis was taken into consideration and performed by the k-means clustering method. In the group of male and female rowers using long paddles, higher mean values for the analysed features were observed, with the exception of fat-free mass, and water content in both genders, and trunk length and horizontal reach in women who achieved higher means in the short-paddle group. On the men's team, both groups differed significantly in body mass, longitudinal features, horizontal reach, hand width and body circumferences, while on the women's, they differed in body mass, width and length of the chest, body circumferences and fat content. The method of grouping used in this paper confirmed morphological differences in the competitors with regard to the type of racing boat.
1 - 6 - 2011
4 - 7 - 2011
- Ackland TR, Bloomfield J. Stability of human proportions through adolescent growth. Aust J Sci Med Sport, 1996; 28 (2): 57-60.[PubMed]
- Ackland TR, Ong KB, Kerr DA, Ridge B. Morphological characteristic of Olympic sprint canoe and kayak paddlers. J Sci Med Sport, 2003; 6 (3): 285-294.[Crossref][WoS]
- Abbott A, Collins D. A theoretical and empirical analysis of a ‘state of the art’ talent identification model. High Ability Studies, 2002; 13 (2): 157-178.[Crossref]
- Alacid F., Marfell-Jones M., López-Miñarro PA, Martínez I., Muyor JM. Morphological characteristics of young elite paddlers. Journal of Human Kinetics, 2011; 27: 95-110.
- Battista RA, Pivarnik JM, Dummer GM, Sauer N, Malina RM. Comparisons of physical characteristics and performances among female collegiate rowers. J Sport Sci, 2007; 25(6): 651-657.[WoS][Crossref]
- Beunen GP, Malina RM, Renson R, Simons J, Ostyn M, Lefevre J. Physical activity and growth, maturation and performance: a longitudinal study. Med Sci Sport Exerc, 1992; 24 (5): 576-585.
- Bourgois J, Claessens AL, Vrijens J. Hazewinkel Anthropometric Project 1997. A study of world class male and female junior rowers. Vlaamse Trainersschool. Bloso 1997.
- Bourgois J, Claessens AL, Vrijens J, Philipaerts R, Van Renterghem B, Thomis M, Janssens M, Loos R, Lefevre J. Anthropometric characteristics of elite male junior rowers. Brit J Sport Med, 2000; 34: 213-217.[Crossref]
- Bourgois J, Claessens AL, Janssens M, Van Renterghem B, Loos R, Thomis M, Philippaerts R, Lefevre J, Vrijens J. Anthropometric characteristics of elite female junior rowers. J Sport Sci, 2001; 19, 195-202.[Crossref]
- Claessens AL, Bourgois J, Pintens K, Lefevre J, Van Renterghem B, Philippaerts R, Loos R, M, Thomis M, Vrijens J. Body composition and somatotype characteristics of elite female junior rowers in relation to competition level, rowing style and boat type. Humanbiology Budapestinesis, 2002; 27, 159-165.
- Claessens AL, Bourgois J, Aken KV, Van der Auwera R, Philippaerts R, Thomis M, Vrijens J, Loos R., Lefevre J. Body proportions of elite male junior rowers in relation to competition level, rowing style and boat type. Kinesiology, 2005; 37(2):123-132.
- Desgorces FD, Chennaoui M, Guezennec CY. Influence des paramêtres anthropométriques sur la performance en aviron au niveau national. Sci Sport, 2004; 19 (6): 327-329.[Crossref]
- Fell JW, Gaffney PT. Physiological Profiles of Australian Surf Boat Rowers. J Sci Med Sport, 2001; 4 (2): 188-195.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Forjasz J, Kuchnio M. Factor structure of morphological variability in male and female rowers. Studies in Physical Culture and Tourism. 2009; 16 (3): 249-257.
- Forjasz J. Somatic build of rowers in the period from 1995 to 2005. Human Movement. 2011; 12 (1): 47-57.
- Hawkins D. A new instrumentation system for training rowers. J Biomech, 2000; 33: 241-245.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Jürimäe J, Jürimäe T. A comparison of selected anthropometric, metabolic and hormone parameters in lightweight and open class rowers. Biol Sport, 2002; 19(2): 149-161.
- Malina RM. Physical growth and biological maturation of young athletes. Exerc Sport Sci Rev, 1994; 22: 389-433.[PubMed]
- Malina RM. Physical activity and training: effects on stature and the adolescent growth spurt. Med Sci Sport Exerc, 1994; 26 (6): 759-766.[Crossref]
- Malina RM., Bouchard C, Bar-Or O, editors. Growth, maturation and physical activity. 2nd ed. Champaign (IL): Human Kinetics, 2004.
- Martirosow EG, Dawidow W, Abramowa TF. Morphological criteria of recruitment of boys and girls at the age 13-18 to rowing. Griebnoj Sport, Moskwa, 1985.
- Mikulić P. Anthropometric and physiological profiles of rowers of varying ages and ranks. Kinesiology, 2008; 40 (1):80-88.
- Piotrowski J, Skład M, Krawczyk B, Majle B. Somatic indices of junior rowers related to their athletic exercise. Biol Sport, 1992; 9: 117-125.
- Skład M, Krawczyk B, Majle B. Effects of an intense annual training on body components and other somatic traits in young male and female rowers. Biol Sport, 1993; 10 (4): 239-243.
- Skład M, Krawczyk B, Majle B. Body build profiles of male and female rowers and kayakers. Biol Sport, 1994; 11(4): 249-256.
- Slater GJ, Rice AJ, Jenkins D, Gulbin J, Hahn AG. Preparation of former heavyweight oarsmen to compete as lightweight rowers over 16 weeks: three case studies. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2006; 16, 108-121.[PubMed]
- StatSoft, Inc., Statistica for Windows. (Computer program manual). Tulsa, 1997.
- Stewart AD. Assessing Body Composition in Athletes. Nutrition, 2001; 17 (7-8): 694-695.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Vaeyens R, Lenoir M, Williams AM, Philippaerts RM. Talent identification and development programmes in sport current models and future directions. Sports Med, 2008; 38 (9): 703-714.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
- Williams SJ, Kendall LR. A profile of sports science research (1983-2003). Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 2007; 10 (4):193-200.
Publication order reference