Somatotype, Body Composition and Proportionality in Polish Top Greco-Roman Wrestlers
Languages of publication
The objective of the paper was to determine body composition and somatotype of male Greco-Roman wrestlers grouped by different weight categories and level of competition. Twenty three contestants (aged 24.9±5.5 years, training experience 13.7±5.8 years) were examined during their competitive period. They were divided into heavier (n=12) and lighter weight categories (n=11). Twelve of them took part in Olympic Qualification Tournaments, whereas six others participated in the Olympic Games in Athens. An experienced evaluator performed 10 measurements necessary to designate Heath-Carter somatotypes and additional skinfolds to estimate the percentage of body fat and body composition. Heavier wrestlers (weight=92.4 kg) exhibited more endomorphy and mesomorphy than lighter wrestlers (weight=70.1 kg). Heavier wrestlers were characterized by higher BMI, fat mass, fat percentage and fat free mass index than wrestlers in lighter weight categories. Sports level was evaluated with discriminant analysis which revealed significant results (p<0.01) with canonical correlation coefficient of 0.754, and Wilks' λ=0.431. Discriminant function=0.593774*Training Experience-0.300177*EN+0.627894*ME-0.242241*EC - 0.636081*Pelvis/Shoulder Ratio. Among the 23 observations used to fit the model, 19 (82.6%) were correctly classified. When compared with untrained subjects, wrestlers exhibited higher body mass (81.8 vs. 72.1 kg, t=3.15, p<0.01) and lower height-weight ratio (40.50 vs. 43.21, t=13.5, p<0.001). Wrestlers' somatotypes differed from those of untrained subjects (2.0-6.6-1.2 vs. 3.7-4.3-3.1). They were also characterized by lower adiposity (12.1 vs. 15.7%, t=7.84, p<0.001).In conclusion, body build and composition in wrestlers depend on their weight category. In heavier categories, characteristic type is endomorph-mesomorph, whereas lighter weight categories are dominated by balanced mesomorph. A considerable difference in endomorphy and indices of body composition can also be observed. Higher sport experience with lower endomorphy (tendencies for lower fat content) and Pelvis/Shoulder Ratio are interrelated with higher competition level presented by wrestlers.
1 - 6 - 2011
4 - 7 - 2011
- Chair of Theory and Methodology of Gymnastics, University School of Physical Education, Krakow, Poland
- Department of Theory and Methodology of Combat Sports, University School of Physical Education, Krakow, Poland
- Chair of Anthropology, University School of Physical Education, Krakow, Poland
- Betancourt LH., Sanchez RG, Martinez AM, Echevarria GI. El somatotipo de Heath-Carter en luchadores cubanos de alto rendimiento de los estilos libre y grecorromano. (Heath Carter somatotype measurements in elite level Cuban free-style and Greco-Roman wrestlers). Lecturas: education fisica y deportes (Buenos Aires), 2002; 8 (45): 5-10
- Carter JEL, Heath BH. Somatotyping - development and applications. Cambridge Studies in Biological Anthropology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge-NewYork-Port Chester-Melbourne-Sydney 1990
- Charzewski J, Głaz A, Kuźmicki S. Somatotype characteristics of elite European wrestlers. Biol Sport, 1991; 8(4): 213-221
- Claessens A, Beunen G, Wellens R, Geldof G. Somatotype and body structure of world top judoists. J Sport Med Phys Fit, 1987; 27 (1): 105-113
- Collazos JFR, Marodan MD, Gutierrez Redomero E. Cinanthropometric study in Spanish judoists. International Journal of Anthropology, 1996; 1(1): 11-19[Crossref]
- Gualdi-Russo E, Graziani I. Anthropometric Somatotype of Italian Sport Participants. J Sport Med Phys Fit, 1993; 3: 282-291
- da Silva PRP, de Sousa T, De Rose FH. Body composition, somatotype and proportionality of elite bodybuilders in Brazil. Rev Bras Med Esporte, 2003; 9(6): 408-412
- Devi HS. Variation in physical structures of Meitei women weightlifters and the controlled group. Anthropologist, 2006; 8(4): 227-230
- Goulding M. Somatotype - 1.1. Mitchell Park, SA: Sweattechnologies 2002
- Hattori K, Tatsumi N, Tanaka S. Assessment of body composition by using a new chart method. Am J Hum Biol, 1997; 9: 573-578[Crossref]
- Heath BH, Carter JEL. A modified somatotype method. Am J Phys Anthropol, 1967, 27: 57-74[PubMed][Crossref]
- Igbokwe NU. Somatotypes of Nigerian power athletes, J Sport Med Phys Fit, 1991; 31(3): 439-41
- Jagiełło W, Kruszewski A. Morphological diversification of competitors training Greco-Roman style of wrestling. Arch Budo, 2009; 5: 147-153.
- Kanehisa H, Fukunaga T. Profiles of musculoskeletal development in limbs of college Olympic weightlifters and wrestlers. Eur J Appl Physiol, 1999; 79: 414-420[Crossref]
- Keogh JWL, Hume PA, Pearson SN, Mellow P. Anthropometric dimension of male powerlifters of varying body mass. J Sport Sci, 2007, 25(12): 1365-1376[Crossref]
- Keys A, Brożek J. Body fat in adult Man. Physiol Rev, 1953; 33: 245-325[PubMed]
- Krawczyk B, Skład M, Jackiewicz A. Heath-Carter somatotypes of athletes representing various sports. Biol Sport 1997; 4: 305-310
- Kyle UG, Bosaeus I, De Lorenzo AD, Deurenberg P, Elia M, Gomez JM, Heitmann BH, Kent-Smith L, Melchior JC, Pirlich M, Scharfetter H, Schols AMWJ, Pichard C. Bioelectrical impendance analysis - part II: utilization in clinical practice. Clin Nutr 2004; (23(6): 1430-1453[Crossref]
- Nelson P, Włudyka PS, Copeland KAF. The Analysis of Means: A Graphical Metod for Comparing Means, Rates, and Proportions. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. Philadelphia 2005
- Nilsson J, Csergö S, Gullstrand L, Tveit P, Refsnes PE. Work-time profile, blood lactate concentration and rating of perceived exertion in the 1998 Greco-Roman Wrestling World Championship. J Sport Sci, 2002; 20(11): 939-945
- Piechaczek H. The Assessment of Total Body Fat by Means of Anthropometric and Densitometric Methods. Mater. Prace Antropol. 1975; 89: 3-48 (in Polish, English abstract)
- Piechaczek H. Somatotype of Students of the Academy of Physical Education and Warsaw Technical University. Wych Fiz i Sport 1998; 1: 67-79 (in Polish, English abstract)
- Rodriguez C, Sánchez G, Garcia E, Martinez M, Cabrera T. Contribution to the study of the morphological profile of highly competitive male Cuban athletes. Boletin Cientifico - tecnico, Inder Cuba, 1986; 1-2: 6-12
- Ross WD, Ward R. Human Proportionality and Sexual Dimorphism. In Sexual dimorphism in homo sapiens: a question of size (edited by RL Hall), 1982; 317-361. New York: Praeger.
- Ross WD, Wilson NC. A strategem for proportional growth assessment. In J. Borm and M Hebbelink (Eds.) Children and Exercise. Acta Paediatr Belg, 1974; 28: 168-182
- Ross WD, Marfell-Jones M: Kinanthropometry. In: Physiological testing of the high-performance athlete. Eds: MacDougall J, Wenger H, and Green H. Champaign, ILL: Human Kinetics Books, 1991: 223-308
- Skład M, Krawczyk B, Majle B. Body build factors and body components in Greco-Roman and free-style wrestlers. Biol Sport, 1995; 12(2): 101-105
- Slaughter MH, Lohman TG, Boileau RA, Horswill CA, Stillman RJ, Van Loan MD, Bemben DA. Skinfold Equations for Estimation of Body Fatness in Children and Youth. Hum Biol, 1988; 60(5): 709-723[PubMed]
- Stepnicka J, Chytrackova J, Kasalicka V. A somatotypic characteristic of the Czechoslovak superior downhill skiers, wrestlers, and road cyclists. Teorie a Praxe Telesne Vychovy, 1976; 24(3): 156-160
- Sterkowicz S, Starosta W. Selected factors influencing the level of general fitness in elite Greco-Roman wrestlers. JOHK, 2005; 14: 93-104
- Sterkowicz-Przybycień KL. Differentiation of Combat Sports Competitors' body build. Doctoral Thesis. University School of Physical Education, Krakow 2007;1-120 (in Polish, English abstract).
- Tumanian GS. Sportiwnaja borba: teorija, mietodika, organizacija trienirowki. Sowietskij Sport, Moskwa, 1998, 3.
- Utter AC. The New National Collegiate Athletic Association Wrestling Certification Program and Sport-Seasonal Changes in Body Composition of College Wrestlers. J Strength Cond Res, 2001; 15(3): 296-301[PubMed]
- Utter AC, Scott JR, Oppliger A, Visich PS, Goss FL, Marks BL, Nieman DC, Smith BW. A Comparison of Leg-to-Leg Bioelectrical Impedance and Skinfolds in Assessing Body Fat in Collegiate Wrestlers. J Strength Cond Res, 2001; 15(2): 157-160[PubMed]
- Wrestling Data Base 2004.
- Yoon J. Physiological Profiles of Elite Senior Wrestlers, Sports Med, 2002; 32(4): 225-233[PubMed][Crossref]
Publication order reference