Kinematics Analysis: Number of Trials Necessary to Achieve Performance Stability during Soccer Instep Kicking
Languages of publication
The purpose of this study was to investigate the stability of kinematics responses related to stretch shortening cycle (SSC) during 10 consecutive soccer instep kicks. The kicking motions of dominant legs were captured from five experienced adult male soccer players (body height: 184.60 ± 4.49 cm; body mass: 80 ± 4.24 kg; age: 25.60 ± 1.14 years) using a three-dimensional infra-red high speed camera at 200 Hz. Some important kinematic parameters include eccentric angular velocity (AVe), concentric angular velocity (AVc), duration of eccentric (Te), and duration of concentric (Tc) at forward and impact phases selected to analyses. The AVe result of the sixth kick, relative to the first kick, was significantly lower when compared to the other kicks (with p ≤ 0.001). The AVc result of the fifth kick, relative to the first kick, was significantly lower when compared to the other kicks (with p ≤ 0.001). The Te result of the fourth kick, relative to the first kick, was significantly lower when compared to the other kicks (with p ≤ 0.011). The Tc result of the fifth kick, relative to the first kick, was significantly lower when compared to the other kicks (p ≤ 0.029). We concluded that 5 consecutive kicks are adequate to achieve high kinematic responses related to SSC.
1 - 1 - 2010
24 - 5 - 2010
- Amiri-Khorasani, M., Osman, N. A. A., Yusof, A. Biomechanical responses of Instep kick between different positions in professional soccer players. J Hum Kinetics. 2009; 22: 21-27.
- Barfield, W. Effects of selected kinematic and kinetic variables on instep kicking with dominant and non dominant limbs. J Hum Move Studies. 1995; 29: 251-272.
- Barlet, R. Sports Biomechanics: reducing injury and improving performance. E & FN Spoon, an imprint of Routledge, London and New York. 2006.
- Bates, B. T., Dufek, J. S., Davis, H. P. The effect of trial size on statistical power. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992; 24, 1059-1065.[PubMed]
- Dorge, H., Bull-Andersen, T., Sorensen, H. Simonsen, E. Biomechanical differences in soccer kicking with the preferred and the non-preferred leg. J Sorts Sci. 2002; 20, 293-299.[Crossref]
- Dyhre-Poulsen, P., Simonsen, E. B., Voigt, M. Dynamic control of muscle stiffness and H reflex modulation during hopping and jumping in man. J Physiology. 1991; 437:287-304.
- James, C. R., Herman, J. A., Dufek, J. S., Bates, B. T. Number of trials necessary to achieve performance stability of selected ground reaction force variables during landing. J Sports Sci Med. 2007; 6, 126-134.
- Kellis, E., Katis, A. Biomechanical characteristics and determinants of instep soccer kick. J Sports Sci Med. 2007; 6: 154-165.
- Kyrolainen, H., Komi. P. V. The Function of Neuromuscular System in Maximal Stretch-shortening Cycle Exercises: Comparison Between Power- and Endurance-trained Athletes. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 1995; 5, 15-25.[Crossref]
- Lees, A., Nolan, L. The biomechanics of soccer: A review. J Sports Sci. 1998; 16: 211-234.[Crossref]
- Levanon, J., Dapena, J. Comparison of the kinematics of the full-instep and pass kicks in soccer. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 30: 917-927, 1998.[PubMed]
- Miyaguchi, K., Demura, S. Lateral dominance of stretch-shortening cycle performance in unilateral and lateral athletes. J Sports Med Physical Fitness. 2008a; 48(1), 24.
- Miyaguchi K., Demura S. Relationships between Stretch-shortening Cycle Performance and Maximum Muscle Strength. J Strength Cond Res. 2008b; 22(1):19-24.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Manolopoulos, E., Papadopoulos, C., Salonikidis, K., Katartzi, E., Poluha, S. Strength training effects on physical conditioning and instep kick kinematics in young amateur soccer players during preseason. Percept Motor Skills. 2004; 99: 701-710.[PubMed]
- Nunome, H., Asai, T., Ikegami, Y., Sakurai, S. Three-dimensional kinetic analysis of side-foot and instep soccer kicks. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002; 34: 2028-2036.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Nunome, H., Ikegami, Y., Kozakai, R., Apriantono, T., Sano, S. Segmental dynamics of soccer instep kicking with the preferred and non-preferred leg. J Sorts Sci. 2006; 24: 529-541.[Crossref]
- Sedano-Campo, S., Vaeyens, R., Philippaerts, R. M., Redondo, J. C., De Benito, A. M., Cuadrado, C. Effects of lowerlimb plyometric training on body composition, explosive strength, and kicking speed in female soccer players. J Strength Cond Res. 2009; 23(6): 1714-1722.[WoS]
- Strojnik, V., Komi, P. V. Neuromuscular fatigue after maximal stretch-shortening cycle exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology. 1998; 84(1): 344-350.
Publication order reference