Application of Novel Inertial Technique to Compare the Kinematics and Kinetics of the Legs in the Soccer Instep Kick
Languages of publication
The kinematic and kinetic parameters of dominant and non-dominant legs examined with a new technology on 15 male, university soccer players in the field. A sensor module with special configuration of accelerometers placement, connected to a data logger, which attached to the shank and thigh, was applied to execute four instep kicks in the field. The angular velocity, linear velocity, angular acceleration and Z-axis linear acceleration (p<0.005) of the shank in dominant and non-dominant leg before impact were: 1970 ± 210, 1648 ± 300 °/s; 14.9 ± 3.0, 12.4 ± 2.6 m/s; 586.4 ± 121.9, 498.2 ± 160.4 rad/s2; 5.7 ± 1.7 and 4.0 ± 0.9 gravity, respectively. The leg swing time, force (X) (p<0.001), torque, angular momentum, angular power and angular impulse (p<0.05) of the shank, for dominant and non-dominant leg, before impact were: 271 ± 48 vs. 263 ± 62 msec; 172.4 ± 46.6 vs. 68.7 ± 47.1 N; 133.2 ± 29.8 vs. 111.8 ± 34.9 N.m.; 5.3 ± 1.1 vs. 4.1 ± 1.0 kg.m2/s; 2443 ± 666 vs. 1660 ± 790.1 W; 4.0 ± 0.9 vs. 3.3 ± 1.2 N.s., respectively. Even though there was lower shank angular velocity of the dominant leg compared with reported professional players, similar shape and gradient of the kicking pattern were found in the curves.
1 - 1 - 2010
24 - 5 - 2010
- Altman, D. Practical statistics for medical research. 1991, London: Chapman & Hall.
- Barfield, W. R. Effects of selected kinematic and kinetic variables on instep kicking with dominant and nondominant limbs. J Hum Movement Stud, 1995, 29, 251-272.
- Barfield, W. R. Biomechanics of kicking. In W. K. Garrett, DT; (Ed.), Exercise and sport science. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2000, Vol. 37, pp. 551-562.
- Barfield, W. R., Kirkendall, D. T., & Yu, B. Kinematic instep kicking differences between elite female and male soccer players. J Sports Sci & Med, 2002, 1, 72-79.
- Cheng, C., Chen, H., Chen, C., Chen, C., & Chen, C. Segment inertial properties of chinese adults determined from magnetic resonance imaging. Clin Biomech, 2000, 15, 559-566.[Crossref]
- Cho, C. Y., & Kamen, G. Detecting balance deficits in frequent fallers using clinical and quantitative evaluation tools. J Am Geriatr Soc, 1998, 46, 426-430.[PubMed]
- Davey, N. P., Anderson, M. E., & James, D. A. An accelerometer-based system for elite athlete swimming performance analysis. 2005, Proceeding in the Smart Structures, Devices and Systems II.
- Dorge, H., Anderson, T., Sorensen, H., & Simonsen, E. Biomechanical differences in soccer kicking with the preferred and the non-preferred leg. J Sport Sci, 2002, 20, 293-299.[Crossref]
- Forner-Cordero, A., Mateu-Arce, M., Forner-Cordero, I., Alcantara, E., Moreno, J. C., & Pons, J. L. Study of the motion artefacts of skin-mounted inertial sensors under different attachment conditions. Physiol Meas., 2008, 29, N21-N31.[Crossref][WoS]
- Foster, R., Lanningham-Foster, L., & Levine, J. Optimization of accelerometers for measuring walking. J Sport Eng Tech, 2008, 222, 53-60.
- Godfrey, A., Conway, R., Meagher, D., & ÓLaighin, G. Direct measurement of human movement by accelerometry. Med Eng Phys, 2008, 30, 1364-1386.[Crossref][PubMed][WoS]
- Isokawa, M., & Lees, A. (1988). A biomechanical analysis of the instep kick motion in soccer. In T. L. Reilly, A; Davids, K.; Murphy, W. (Ed.), London: E & FN Spon. Science and football, 1988, Vol. 449-455.
- Jaecques, S. V. N., Driessen, N. J. B., Havermans, L., Daenen, B., Denayer, I., Burny, F., et al. Vibration analysis of orthopaedic implant stability. Acta Bioeng Biomech, 2003, 4(SUPP/1), 194-195.
- Kellis, E., & Katis, A. Biomechanical characteristics and determinants of instep soccer kick. J Sports Sci & Med, 2007, 6, 154-165.
- Kellis, E., Katis, A., & Gissis, I. Knee biomechanics of the support leg in soccer kicks from three angles of approach. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2004, 36, 1017-1028.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Lees, A., & Nolan, L. The biomechanics of soccer: A review. J Sport Sci, 1998, 16, 211-234.[Crossref]
- Levanon, J., & Dapena, J. Comparison of the kinematics of the full-instep and pass kicks in soccer. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1998, 30, 917-927.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Luhtanen, P. (2005). Biomechanical aspects of soccer performances. from World Wide Web
- Mathie, M., Coster, A., Lovell, N., & Celler, B. Accelerometry: Providing an integrated, practical method for longterm, ambulatory monitoring of human movement. Physiol Meas, 2004, 25, R1-R20.[Crossref]
- Meamarbashi, A. Development of a sensor module and data logger capable of measuring high kinematic parameters in football. 2007, Unpublished PhD Thesis, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kota Bharu.
- Meamarbashi, A. A novel inertial technique to measure very high linear and rotational movements in sports. Part I: The hardware. J Applied Sci, 2009, 9, 1746-1751.[Crossref]
- Najafi, B., Aminian, K., Loew, F., Blanc, Y., & Robert, P. A. Measurement of stand-sit and sit-stand transitions using a miniature gyroscope and its application in fall risk evaluation in the elderly. Ieee Trans Biomed Eng, 2002, 49, 843-851.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Nunome, H., Ikegami, Y., Kozakai, R., Apriantono, T., & Sano, S. Segmental dynamics of soccer instep kicking with the preferred and non-preferred leg. J Sport Sci, 2006a, 24, 529-541.[Crossref]
- Nunome, H., Lake, M., Georgakis, A., & Stergioulas, L. Impact phase kinematics of instep kicking in soccer. J Sport Sci, 2006b, 24, 11-22.[Crossref]
- Ohgi, Y. Mems sensor application for the motion analysis in sports science. 2006, Proceeding in the ABCM, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Ohgi, Y., Ichikawa, H., & Miyaji, C. Microcomputer-based acceleration sensor device for swimming stroke monitoring. Int J Jpn Soc Mech Eng, 2002, 45, 960-966.
- Shan, G., Daniels, D., Wang, C., Wutzke, C., & Lamire, G. Biomechanical analysis of maximal instep kick by female soccer players.) J Hum Mov Stud, 2005, 49, 149-168.
- Tanaka, Y., Shiokawa, M., Yamashita, H., & Tsuji, T. Manipulability analysis of kicking motion in soccer based on human physical properties. 2006, Proceeding in the IEEE Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Van Deursen, F., & Klous, M. Kinematics and kinetics of the preferred and non-preferred supporting leg in soccer kicking. Unpublished MSc thesis, Free University, Amsterdam, 2001.
- Vincent, W. Statistics in kinesiology (Second ed.). California: Human Kinetics, 1999.
- Zatsiorsky, V. Kinematic geometry of human motion: Body posture. In V. Zatsiorsky (Ed.), Kinematics of human motion (pp. 90). 1998, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Publication order reference