Biomechanical Responds of Instep Kick between Different Positions in Professional Soccer Players
Languages of publication
The purpose of this study was to investigate some selected biomechanical characteristics of lower extremity between professional soccer defenders, midfielders and strikers. The kicking motions of dominant legs were captured from fifteen Olympic professional soccer players; (height: 181.93 ± 7.03 cm; mass: 70.73 ± 10.85 kg; age: 20.8 ± 0.77 years), volunteered to participate in this study, using four digital video cameras. There were significant differences between midfielders and defenders in (1) lower leg angular velocity (p ≤ 0.001), (2) thigh angular velocity (p ≤ 0.001), (3) lower leg net moment (p ≤ 0.001), (4) thigh net moment (p ≤ 0.001), and (5) ball velocity (p ≤ 0.012). There were significant differences between midfielders and strikers in lower leg net moment (p ≤ 0.001). There were significant differences between strikers and defenders in; (1) lower leg angular velocity (p ≤ 0.001), (2) thigh angular velocity (p ≤ 0.001), (3) lower leg net moment (p ≤ 0.001), (4) thigh net moment (p ≤ 0.001), and (5) ball velocity (p ≤ 0.024). In conclusion, midfielders can perform soccer instep kicking strongly and faster than defenders and there is, however, no significant difference between midfielders and strikers, but midfielders' ball velocity is higher than strikers' ball velocity.
1 - 1 - 2009
13 - 1 - 2010
- Al'Hazzaa, H.M.K, Almuzaini, S., Al-Refaee, S.A., Sulaiman, M.A. Aerobic and anaerobic power characteristics of Saudi elite soccer players. J Sports Med Physical Fitness. 2001. 41(1): 54-61.
- Arnason, A., Sigurdsson, S.B., Gudmundsson, A., Holme, I., Engebretsen, L., Bahr, R. Physical Fitness, Injuries, and Team Performance in Soccer. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004. 36 (2): 278-285.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Asami, T., Nolte, V. Analysis of powerful ball kicking. In: Biomechanics VIII-B. Eds: Matsui, H. and Kobayashi, K. Champaign IL: Human Kinetics. 1983. 695-700.
- Bangsbo, J. The physiology of soccer-with special reference to intense intermittent exercise. Acta Physiological Scandinavica. 1994. 151 (suppl.619).
- Bangsbo, J., Nørregaard, L., Thorsøe, F. Activity profile of competition soccer. Canadian Journal of Sports Science. 1991. 16: 110-116.
- Bloomfield, J., Polman, R., O'Donoghue, P. Physical demands of different positions in FA Premier League soccer. J Sports Sci Med. 2007. 6: 63-70.
- Brewer, J., Davis, J.A. A physiological comparison of English professional and semi-professional soccer players. In Proceedings of the 2nd World Congress on Science and Football. 1991. 141, Eindhoven.
- Cochrane, C., Pyke, F. Physiological assessment of the Australian soccer squad. Australian Journal for Health, Physical Education and Recreation. 1976. 75: 21-4.
- Davis, J.A., Brewer, J., Atkin, D. Pre-season physiological characteristics of English first and second division soccer players. J Sports Sci. 1992. 10: 541 - 547.[Crossref]
- Dorge, H., Bull-Andersen, T., Sorensen, H., Simonsen, E. Biomechanical differences in soccer kicking with the preferred and the non-preferred leg. J Sports Sci, 2002. 20: 293-299.[Crossref]
- Dorge, H.C., Andersen, T.B., Sørensen, H., Simonsen, E.B., Aagaard, H., Dyhre-Poulsen, P. EMG activity of the iliopsoas muscle and leg kinetics during the soccer place kick. Scan J Med Sci Sports. 1999. 9: 195-200.
- Ekblom, B. Applied physiology of soccer. Sports Med. 1986. 3: 50-60.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
- Kellis, E., Katis, A. Biomechanical characteristics and determinants of instep soccer kick. J Sports Sci Med. 2007. 6: 154-165.
- Little, T., Williams, A.G. Specificity of Acceleration, Maximum Speed, and Agility in Professional Soccer Players. J Strength Cond Res. 2005. 19(1): 76-78.[PubMed]
- Little, T., Williams, A.G. Effects of differential stretching protocols during warm-ups on high-speed motor capacities in professional soccer players. J Strength Cond Res. 2006. 20(1): 203-207.[PubMed]
- Levanon, J., Dapena, J. Comparison of the kinematics of the full-instep and pass kicks in soccer. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998. 30: 917-927.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Markovic, G., Dizdar, D., Jaric, S. Evaluation of tests of maximum kicking performance. J Sports Med Physical Fitness. 2006. 46(2): 215-220.
- Masuda, K., Kikuhara, N., Demura, S., Katsuta, S., Yamanaka, K. Relationship between muscle strength in various isokinetic movements and kick performance among soccer players. J Sports Med Physical Fitness. 2005. 45: 44-52.
- Mohr, M., Krustrup, P., Bangsbo, J. Match performance of high-standard soccer players with special reference to development of fatigue. J Sports Sci. 2003. 21: 519-528.[Crossref]
- Nunome, H., Asai, T., Ikegami, Y., Sakurai, S. Three-dimensional kinetic analysis of side-foot and instep soccer kicks. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002. 34: 2028-2036.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Nunome, H., Ikegami, Y., Kozakai, R., Apriantono, T., Sano, S. Segmental dynamics of soccer instep kicking with the preferred and non-preferred leg. J Sports Sci. 2006. 24: 529-541.[Crossref]
- Oberg, B., Ekstrand, J., Möller, M., Gillquist, J. Muscle strength and flexibility in different positions of soccer players. Inter j sport med, 1984. 5(4): 213-216.
- O'Donoghue, P.G. Time-motion analysis of work-rate in elite soccer. World Congress of Notational Analysis of Sport IV, Porto, Portugal. Porto, University of Porto Press. 1998; 65-71.
- Reilly, T., Thomas, V. A motion analysis of work-rate in different positional roles in professional football match-play. J Hum Move Studies. 1976. 2: 87-89.
- Rienzi, E., Drust, B., Reilly, T., Carter, J.E.L., Martin, A. Investigation of anthropometric and work-rate profiles of elite South American international soccer players. J Sports Med Physical Fitness. 2000. 40: 162-169.
- Robertson, D.G.E., Caldwell, G.E., Hamill, J., Kamen, G., Whittlesey, S.N. Research Methods in Biomechanics. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. 2004.
- Wisloff, U., Helgerud, J., Hoff, J. Strength and endurance of elite soccer players. Med Sci SportsExerc. 1998. 30(3): 462-467.
- Withers, R.T., Maricic, Z., Wasilewski, S., Kelly, L. Match analysis of Australian professional soccer players. J Hum Move Studies. 1982. 8: 159-176.
Publication order reference