Effects of Aging on Feedforward Postural Synergies
Languages of publication
We investigated the effects of aging on postural muscles covariate patterns prior to voluntary perturbations. Nine healthy young and nine older subjects were instructed to release a load in a self-paced manner. The results of cross-correlation analyses showed that the average time lag corresponding peak correlation coefficient between trunk flexor and extensor muscles in the older group was significantly shorter, compared to that in the young group. The results of principal component analysis showed that the co-contraction Muscle-modes in the older group were observed more frequently than those in the young group. These results indicate that the older group showed changes in the anticipatory postural muscle co-variation, suggesting the transition from reciprocal to co-activation pattern with aging.
1 - 1 - 2008
13 - 1 - 2009
- Amiridis I. G., Hatzitaki V., Arabatzi F. Age-induced modifications of static postural control in humans. Neurosci Lett, 2003. 350:137-140.
- Aruin A. S., Latash M. L. The role of motor action in anticipatory postural adjustments studied with self-induced and externally triggered perturbation. Exp Brain Res, 1995. 106: 291-300.
- Asaka T., Wang Y., Fukushima J., Latash M. L. Learning effects on muscle modes and multi-mode postural synergies. Exp Brain Res, 2008. 184: 323-338.[WoS]
- Belen'kii V. Y., Gurfinkel V. S., Pal'tsev Y. I. Control elements of voluntary movements. Biofizika, 1967. 12:135-141.
- Benjuya N., Melzer I., Kaplanski J. Aging-induced shifts from a reliance on sensory input to muscle cocontraction during balance standing. J Gerontol, 2004. 59: 166-171.
- Bleuse S., Cassim F., Blatt J. L., Labyt E., Derambure P., Guieu J. D., Defebvre L. Effect of age on anticipatory postural adjustments in unilateral arm movement. Gait Posture, 2006. 24: 203-210.
- Bugnariu N., Sveistrup H. Age-related changes in postural responses to externally- and self-triggered continuous perturbations. Arch of Geront Geriat, 2006. 42: 73-89.
- Carpenter M. G., Frank J. S., Silcher C. P., Peysar G. W. The influence of postural threat on the control of upright stance. Exp Brain Res, 2001. 138: 210-218.
- Doherty T. J., Vandervoort A. A., Taylor A. W., Brown W. F. Effects of motor units losses on strength in older men and women. J Appl Physiol, 1993. 74: 868-874.[PubMed]
- Garland S. J., Stevenson T. J., Ivanova T. Postural responses to unilateral arm perturbation in young, elderly, and hemiplegic subjects. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 1997. 78: 1072-7.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Gelfand I. M., Tsetlin M. L. On mathemathical modeling of the mechanisms of the central nervous system. In: Gelfan I. M., Gurfinkel V. S., Fomin S. V., Tsetlin M. L. (eds) Models of the structural-functional organization of certain biological systems. Nauka, Moscow, 1966. pp 9-26.
- Hair J. F., Anderson R. E., Tatham R. L., Black W. C. Factor analysis. In: Borkowsky D (ed) Multivariate data analysis. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs NJ, 1995. pp 364-404.
- Hay L., Bard C., Fleury M., Teasdale N. Availability of visual and proprioceptive afferent messages and postural control in elderly adults, Exp Brain Res, 1996. 108: 129-139.
- Horak F. B., Nashner L. M., Diener H. C. Postural strategies associated with somatosensory and vestibular loss. Exp Brain Res, 1990. 82: 167-177.
- Inglin B., Woollacott M. Age-related changes in anticipatory postural adjustments associated with arm movements. J Gerontol, 1988. 43: M105-112.[Crossref]
- Ivanenko Y. P., Poppele R. E., Lacquaniti F. Five basic muscle activation patterns account for muscle activity during human locomotion. J Physiol, 2004. 556: 267-282.
- Krishnamoorthy V., Latash M. L., Scholz J. P., Zatsiorsky V. M. Muscle modes during shifts of the center of pressure by standing persons: effect of instability and additional support. Exp Brain Res, 2004. 157: 18-31.
- Maki B. E. Biomechanical approach to quantifying anticipatory postural adjustments in the elderly. Med Biol Eng Comp, 1993. 31: 355-362.
- Manchester D., Woollacott M., Zederbauer-hylton N., Marin O. Visual, vestibular and somatosensory contributions to balance control in older adults. J Gerontol Med Sci, 1989. 44: 118-127.[Crossref]
- Man'kovskii N. B., Mints A. Y., Lysenyuk V. P. Regulation of the preparatory period for complex voluntary movement in old and extreme old age. Hum Physiol Moscow, 1980. 6: 46-50.
- Melzer I., Benjuya N., Kaplanski J. Postural stability in the elderly: a comparison between fallers and non-fallers. Age Ageing, 2004. 33: 602-607.
- Redfern M. S., Jennings J. R., Martin C., Furman J. M. Attention influences sensory integration for postural control in older adults. Gait Posture, 2001. 14: 211-216.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Robert T., Latash M. L. Time evolution of the organization of multi-muscle postural responses to sudden changes in the external force applied at the trunk level. Neuroscience Letters, 2008. 438: 238-241.[WoS]
- Rogers M. W., Kukulka C. G., Soderberg G. L. Age-related changes in postural responses preceding rapid self-paced and reaction time arm movements. J Gerontol, 1992. 47: M159-M165.[Crossref]
- Ting L. H., Macpherson J. M. A limited set of muscle synergies for force control during a postural task. J Neurophysiol, 2005. 93: 609-613.
- Torres-Oviedo G., Ting L. H. Muscle synergies characterizing human postural responses. J Neurophysiol, 2007. 98: 2144-2156.[WoS]
- Wang Y., Asaka T., Zatsiorsky V. M, Latash M. L. Muscle synergies during voluntary body sway: combining across-trials and within-a-trial analyses. Exp Brain Res, 2006. 174: 679-693.[WoS]
- Wolfson L. Balance decrements in older persons: Effects of age and disease. In: Gait disorders of aging. J. C. Masdeu L. Sudarsky and L. Wolfson, eds. Lippincott-Raven,. 1997. pp 79-91.
- Woollacott M. H., Manchester D. L. Anticipatory postural adjustments in older adults: Are changes in response characteristics due to changes in strategy?. J Gerontol, 1993. 48: 64-70.
- Woollacott M. H., Shumway-Cook A., Nashner LM. Aging and posture control: changes in sensory organization and muscular coordination. Int J Aging Hum Dev, 1986. 23:97-114.
Publication order reference