Changes in Aerobic and Anaerobic Power Indices in Elite Handball Players Following a 4-Week General Fitness Mesocycle
Languages of publication
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of a 4-week training programme during the first phase of the preparation period on selected indices of somatic structure as well as aerobic and anaerobic power in elite handball players. Nine handball players from a first league team took part in the study; their average age was 25.5±3.7 years, body mass 86.5±7.6 kg (I session) and 87.9±7.3 kg (II session) (p<0.01), lean body mass - 74.4±6.6 kg (I) and 76.2± 6.2 kg (II) (p<0.01), body fat mass 12.1±3.1 kg (I) and 11.7±3.1 kg (II) respectively. Two evaluations were conducted - the first at the end of the season, the second at the initial phase of the preparation period. The second phase was preceded by a 4- week period of general endurance and strength training. Aerobic fitness was assessed indirectly, taking into account the results of the PWC170 test. The absolute and relative values of the PWC170 index increased significantly from 236.6 W to 269 W (p<0.01) and from 2.73 W/kg to 3.06 W/kg (p<0.01). The values of maximum oxygen uptake - VO2max were significantly improved from 3.65 l/min to 3.98 l/min (p<0.01) and from 42.3 ml/kg/min to 45.4 ml/kg/min (p<0.05). Anaerobic fitness was assessed using the 30-second Wingate test. A statistically significant improvement of the basic indices of aerobic fitness following the 4-week training programme proved its high effectiveness. Maintaining the level of the basic indices of anaerobic power despite the absence of specific training loads, seems to corroborate the strong effect of genetic factors on the level of anaerobic fitness and the effectiveness of strength training programs.
1 - 1 - 2008
24 - 10 - 2008
- Baechle T. R. (ed.) (1994) Essentials of strength training and conditioning. Human Kinetics, Champaign, Il.
- Daly W, Hackney AC. (2005) Is exercise cortisol response of endurance athletes similar to levels of Cushing's Syndrome? Biol. Sport, 22, 209-214.
- Delamarche P, Gratas A, Beillot J, Dassonville J, Rochcongar P, Lessard Y. (1987) Extent of Lactic Anaerobic Metabolism in Handballers. Int J Sports Med, 8 (1), 55-59.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Fellmann N, Bedu M, Boudel G, Mage M, Sagnol M, Pequignol JM, claustral B, Brun J, Peyrin L, Coudert J. (1992) Inter-relationship between pituitary-adrenal hormones and catecholamines during a 6-day Nordic ski race. Eur J Appl Physiol, 64, 258-265.[Crossref]
- Inbar O, Bar-Or O, Skinner J. S. (1996) The Wingate Anaerobic Test. Human Kinetics, Champaign, Il.
- Jastrzębski Z. (2003) Normy wskaźników w teście PWC170 u piłkarzy nożnych i piłkarzy ręcznych różnych grup wiekowych. [Norms of indices in PWC170 test for soccer and handball players in various age groups] [In:] Sozański H, Perkowski K, Śledziewski D. (ed.). Kierunki doskonalenia treningu i walki sportowej. [Directions of training' improvement and sport combat]. AWF Warszawa, 170-174. (in Polish).
- Karpman W. (1969) PWC170 próba dla opriedielenija fiziczeskoj robotosposobnosti. [PWC170 test for physical fitness evaluation]. Teoria i Praktyka Fiziczeskoj Kultury, 10. (in Russian).
- Komi P. V. (ed.) (1992) Strength and Power in Sport. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- Loftin M, Anderson P, Lytton L, Pittman P, Warren B. 1996. Heart rate response during handball singles match-play and selected physical fitness components of experienced male handball players. J Sport Med Phys Fit, 36 (2), 95-99.
- Norkowski H. (2002) Anaerobic Power of Handball Players Representing Various Sport Levels. Journal of Human Kinetics, Vol. 7, 43-50.
- Norkowski H, Huciński T. (2007) The Influence of Interval Training on Selected Indicators of Anaerobic Efficiency in Untrained Men. Journal of Human Kinetics Vol. 18: 63-72.
- Thorstensson A, Karlsson J. (1976) Fatiguability and fibre composition of human skeletal muscle. Acta Physiol Scand, 98:3, 318-322.[PubMed]
- Wahlund H. Determination of the physical working capacity. Acta Med scand, (Suppl.), 215, 5.
- Wilmore JH, Costill DL. (1999. Physiology of sport and exercise. Human Kinetics, Champaign, Il.
- Wrześniewski S, Norkowski H. (2006) Zmiany wybranych cech wydolności fizycznej piłkarzy ręcznych pod wpływem treningu interwałowego o maksymalnej intensywności. [The changes of selected indices of handball players' physical fitness as an effect of interval training with maximal intensity] [In:] Kuder A., Perkowski K., Śledziewski D. (ed.): Kierunki doskonalenia treningu i walki sportowej. [Directions of training'improvement and sport combat]. AWF Warszawa, 143-146. (in Polish).
- Zając A, Pilis W, Waśkiewicz Z. (1999) The Influence of Strength Training and Age on Anaerobic Power. Journal of Human Kinetics, Vol. 2, 103-114.
Publication order reference