Differences in Peripheral Perception between Athletes and Nonathletes
Languages of publication
In team games, due to the great number of stimuli, perceptive skills have a cardinal significance, especially in players' anticipation and decisionmaking processes. The aim of this study was to compare peripheral perception of handball players (n=16) and nonathletes (n=16) of the same age. A comparative analysis involves abilities connected with general visual functions - such as the field of vision (hardware system) and reaction time to visual stimuli (software system). Peripheral perception was examined using the peripheral perception test included in the Vienna Test System (Schuhfried, Austria). The results show that the examined groups did not differ in regards to visual functions connected with the peripheral field of vision and the correctness of stimuli recognition. Handball players had a significantly shorter response time to stimuli appearing in the peripheral field of vision compared to nonathletes.
1 - 1 - 2008
24 - 10 - 2008
- Ando S, Kida N., Oda S. (2001) Central and peripheral visual reaction time of soccer players and nonathletes. Percept Mot Skills. 92 (3): 786-94.[PubMed]
- Abernethy B. (1987) Review: selective attention in fast ball sports. II: Expert-Novice differences. Australian Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 19: 7-16.
- Adolphe R. M., Vickers J. N., La Plante G. (1997) The effects of training visual attention on gaze behavior and accuracy. International Journal of Sports Vision. 4: 28-33.
- Blundell N. L. (1982) A multivariate analysis of the visual-perceptual attributes of male and female tennis players of varying ability levels. Psychology of Motor Behaviour and Sport: North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity. University of Maryland, .134-142
- Christenson G. N., Winkelstein A. N. (1988) Visual skills of athletes versus nonathletes: development of a sports vision testing battery. Journal of American Optometric Association, 59(9): 666-675.
- Ciućmański B., Wątroba J. (2005) Training selected visual perception abilities and the efficiency footballers. (in Polish) In: Gry zespołowe w wychowaniu fizycznym i sporcie, [red Żak S., Spieszny M., Klocek T.], Studia i Monografie nr 33 AWF Kraków: 298 - 303
- Curcio C. A., Sloan K. R., Kalina R. E., Hendricksom A. E. (1990) Human photoreceptor topography. J Comp Neurol. 292: 497-523.
- Hitzeman S. A., Beckerman S. A. (1993). What the literature says about sports vision. Optom Clin. 3(1):145-69.[PubMed]
- Kohmura Y. Yoshigi H. (2004) Training Effects of visual function on college baseball players. Human Performance Measurement. 1: 15-23.
- Ishigaki H., Miyao M. (1993). Differences in dynamic visual acuity between athletes and non-athletes. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 77: 835-839.
- Planer P. M. Sports vision manual. (1994) International Academy of Sports Vision, Harrisburg.
- Raczek J. (1991). Motor Coordination abilities: their theoretical and empirical principles, and their meaning in sport. (in Polish) Sport Wyczynowy, 5-6: 8-19.
- Savelsbergh G. J. P., Williams M. A., Van der Kamp J., Ward P. (2002) Visual search, anticipation and expertise in soccer goalkeepers. Journal of Sports Sciences, 20: 279-287.[Crossref]
- Stine C. D., Arterburn M. R., Stern N. S. (1982) Vision and sports: a review of the literature. J Am Optom Assoc. 53(8):627-33.[PubMed]
- Venter S. C., Ferreira J. T. (2004) A comparison of visual skills of high school rugby players from two different age groups. S Afr Optom. 63:19 - 29.
- Williams JM,. Thirer J. (1975) Vertical and horizontal peripheral vision in male female athletes and non-athletes. Research Quarterly. 46:200-205.
- Williams A. M., Davids K., Williams J. G. Visual Perception & Action in Sport. (1999) Taylor & Francis. London-New York.
- Williams A. M. (2003) Perceptual expertise. In: Expert performance in sports. (ed Starkes J. L. and Ercisson K. A.). Human Kinetics: Champaign, Illinois.
- Ward P., Williams A. M., Loran D. F. C., (2000) The development of visual function in expert and novice soccer players. International Journal of Sport Vision, 6: 1-11.
Publication order reference