Pain and Suffering in Sport
Languages of publication
Pain is an authentic part of humanity. This text deals with the topic of pain within the context of sports. It compares the agon of war to the agon of sports. Here, pain is considered as a physical phenomenon, as a cultural and social construct as well as a meaningful phenomenon. Another issue addressed in this paper is how pain is presented as an authentic component of performing sports. A loss of authenticity in sports is mentioned in connection with the prevalence of injuries. Special attention is paid to the topic of death, which is understood as being a part of the horizon of pain. The last part of the article focuses on crises in professional sports and asks about the meaning of pain and suffering in sports.
1 - 6 - 2012
28 - 6 - 2012
- Jirásek I., The space for seeking the meaning of movement activities and the meaning of the human way of being: movement culture. Acta Universitatis Palackianae Olomucensis. Gymnica, 2006, 36 (2), 95-99.
- Morford R. W., Olympism: tattered remnant of a victorian fancy. Int J Phys Educ, 1986, 23 (2), 10-14.
- Oborný J., The philosophical and ethical viewpoints on humanistic sports. The Slovak Society for Physical Education and Sport, Bratislava 2001.
- Fischer N., Competitive sport's imitation of war: Imaging the completeness of virtue. J Philos Sport, 2002, 29 (1), 16-37, doi: 10.1080/00948705.2002.9714620.[Crossref]
- Loland S., Three approaches to the study of pain in sport. In: Loland S., Skirstad B., Waddington I. (eds.), Pain and injury in sport. Routledge, London 2006, 49-62.
- Arnold P. J., Dimensions of being in sport. In: Lenk H. (ed.), Aktuelle Probleme der Sportphilosophie - Topical Problems of Sport Philosophy. Karl Hofmann, Schorndorf 1983, 162-168.
- Wolf V., The metaphysical base of sport hermeneutics. In: Hogenová A. (ed.), Sport Hermeneutics [in Czech]. Karolinum, Praha 1998, 41-42.
- Heidegger M., Being and time. Harper Perennial, New York 2008.
- Hägele W., The crisis in sport. Int J Phys Educ, 1994, 31 (2), 7-14.
- Hogenová A., Ethics of sport. In: Hogenová A. (ed.), Sport Philosophy [in Czech]. Karolinum, Praha 1999, 18-21.
Publication order reference