The Relationships Between the Effectiveness of Team Play and the Sporting Level of A Team
Languages of publication
Purpose. This study aimed at determining what relationships exist between the determinants of team play efficiency (cooperation) for creating scoring situations in volleyball and the sporting level of a team. These relationships take into consideration the number of players who cooperate within a team and the speed at which sets are performed. Methods. The study gathered observational data on how three leading male volleyball teams, namely Brazil, Russia and Serbia, played in the semi-finals of the 2010 World League, finishing first, second and fourth, respectively. The research tool was a self-made data registration sheet which included the description of the chosen variables, namely the type of plays used and how sets were formed, and the criteria for their quantification. The collected results were presented as tables and indexes. An interdisciplinary interpretation of the results was conducted, which included a qualitative identification of the dependencies that existed between the chosen variables. Results. The efficiency of team cooperation when solving situational problems in the offense was not significantly different in the analysed teams. The prevailing activities during the game were those performed in the 2nd tempo, i.e. team play requiring the coordination and synchronization of three players. Players' activity as well as the performance efficiency of the sets they performed in the 2nd tempo increased along with an increase in the sporting efficiency of the examined teams. In the case of sets performed in the 3rd tempo, activity and the efficiency of coordination declined along with the growth of sports efficiency. The suggested indexes of the employment and application of synergy enable us to determine its level within the teams which differ in regards to sports efficiency. A diagnostic value of the index of synergy usage, which is determined by the efficiency of sets in various paces, is higher than a diagnostic value of the index that is determined by the activity of team play. Conclusions. Nowadays, sport teams, especially those which play volleyball at the highest world level, are characterized by a high level of dynamic organization of players' activities, which is manifested in the game with the high efficiency of team play when solving situational problems in the offense, particularly with the use of two or three players conducted in the 1st and 2nd tempos.
1 - 6 - 2012
28 - 6 - 2012
- Naglak Z., Team sports game [in Polish]. AWF, Wrocław 1994, 94-112.
- Panfil R., Praxeology of sports games [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF we Wrocławiu, 2006, 82.
- Superlak E., The structure of volleyball playing dispositions in players 14-15 candidates for the polish national team. Hum Mov, 2006, 7 (2), 118-129.
- Superlak E., Personal dispositions and action skills in a team game [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF we Wrocławiu, 2008, 89.
- Spieszny M., Żak S., In search for a model of the champion in the youth handball. J Hum Kinet, 1999, 2, 137-150.
- Latash M. L., Evolution of motor control: from reflexes and motor programs to the equilibrium-point hypothesis. J Hum Kinet, 2008, 19, 3-24.[PubMed]
- Stępiński M., Zwierko T., Florkiewicz B., Dębicka J., The level of chosen motor abilities of 13 years old soccer players. J Hum Kinet, 2003, 9, 99-107.
- Hoffman J. R., Fry A. C., Howard R., Maresh C. M., Kraemer W. J., Strenght, speed and endurance changes during the course of Division I basketball season. J Appl Sport Sci Res, 1991, 5 (3), 144-149.
- Bittenham G., Complete conditioning for basketball. Human Kinetics, Champaign 1998, 45-49.
- Klocek T., Żak S., Structural and motor determinants of game efficiency of female volleyball players [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 2001, 22, 65-80.
- Ljach W., Waśkiewicz Z., Diagnosis of footballers' co-ordination skills [in Polish]. AWF, Katowice 1998, 56.
- Rychta T., Intentional behaviours and personality of sportsmen. In: Rychta T. (ed.), Intentional behaviours and personality of sportsmen [in Polish]. PTNKF, Warszawa 1998, 54-96.
- Basiaga-Pasternak J., Analysis of personality types, level of fear and main components of sports motivation in juniors - football players [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków 2000.
- Superlak E., Connection of specialist knowledge of players with a result in the game of volleyball. In: Chmura J., Superlak E. (eds.), Personal dispositions towards sports games [in Polish]. WTN, Wrocław 2003, 21-30.
- Duda H., Intellectualisation of teaching to play football [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF w Krakowie, 2004, 78.
- Dembiński J., Modelling of actions of basketball players on the basis of assessment of their individual efficiency in the game. In: Dembiński J., Naglak Z. (eds.), Action efficiency of players in sports games [in Polish]. WTN, Wrocław 2003, 73-79.
- Beal D., Seekinge in a program - going for the gold. In: Shondell D., Reynaud C. (eds.), The volleyball coaching bible. Human Kinetics, Champaign 2002, 45-49.
- Huciński T., Tymiński R., Efficiency of a player acting as a point guard in basketball [in Polish]. Roczniki Naukowe AWF w Gdańsku, 2001, 10, 39-54.
- Pszczołowski T., Synergy and its place in the theory of organisation [in Polish]. Prakseologia, 1973, 3-4, 42-54.
- Panfil R., Synergy in a team sports game [in Polish]. Prakseologia, 1992, 1-2, 73-86.
- Panfil R., Synergism of absolutely dependent actions in a sports team (on the example of football and volleyball) [in Polish]. Rozprawy Naukowe AWF we Wrocławiu, 2011, 32, 20-32.
- Panfil R., Effective coaching of task teams (on the example of sports teams) [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF we Wrocławiu, 2008, 92.
- Selinger A., Arie Selinger's power volleyball. St. Martin's Press, New York 1986.
Publication order reference