Analysis of Body Posture Between Young Football Players and their Untrained Peers
Languages of publication
Purpose. The aim of this study was to analyze the body posture of young football players and their untrained peers. Methods. A group of 73 football players and 78 untrained boys, all aged between 11 and 14 years, were studied by measuring body posture indices with computer posturography (the MORIE technique). Spinal angles and curvatures in the sagittal plane and body posture asymmetry in the frontal and transversal plane were measured. Body height and mass and BMI were also determined. Results. Compared to the untrained boys, the group of football players had lower BMI. The position of pelvis in the frontal plane was more symmetrical (p < 0.001) in football players, but the alignment of the remaining measured parameters was similar between the two groups except for the horizontal symmetry of the waist triangles (a higher incidence of symmetry in some ages groups of football players) and the horizontal symmetry of the shoulder blades (a higher incidence of asymmetry in some ages groups of football players). A postural symmetry index that was created for this study did not find any differentiation among the studied groups. The spinal alignment of the football players featured a more flattened lumbar lordosis. Conclusion. Previously conducted studies on the body posture of young athletes are still not ample and complete, while the results do not clearly indicate the development of posture when subjected to sports training.
1 - 6 - 2012
28 - 6 - 2012
- Kapera R., Śledziewski D., Football: the unification process of training children and youth [in Polish]. PZPN, Warszawa 1997.
- Dompier T. P., Powell J. W., Barron M. J., Moore M. T., Time-loss and non-time-loss injuries in youth football players. J Athl Train, 2007, 42 (3), 395-402.[PubMed]
- Ciorsac A., Isvoran A., Ostafe V., The anthropometric and fitness characteristics of the football players competing in the Romanian juniors championship. Papers on Anthropology, 2010, 19, 59-68.
- Górecki A., Kiwerski J., Kowalski I. M., Marczyński W., Nowotny J., Rybicka M. et al., Prophylactics of postural deformities in children and youth carried out within the teaching environment - experts recommendations [in Polish]. Pol Ann Med, 2009, 16 (1), 168-177.
- Starosta W., The shape of the spine from the standpoint of human motility and motor sports [in Polish]. Post Rehabil, 1993, 7, 19-32.
- Hawrylak A., Skolimowski T., Barczyk K., Bieć E., Assymetry of trunk in athletes of different kind of sport [in Polish]. Medycyna Sportowa, 2001, 119, 232-235.
- Barczyk K., Skolimowski T., Hawrylak A., Bieć E., Sagittal spinal configuration in persons practicing selected sport disciplines [in Polish]. Medycyna Sportowa, 2005, 21 (6), 395-400.
- Grabara M., Hadzik A., Postural variables in girls practicing volleyball. Biomed Hum Kinet, 2009, 1, 67-71, doi: 10.2478/v10101-009-0017-7.[Crossref]
- Całka-Lizis T., Jankowicz-Szymańska A., Adamczyk K., Body posture in schoolchildren undergoing regular foot-ball training compared to their peers. Medycyna Sportowa, 2008, 24, 4 (6), 224-230.
- Wilczyński J., The differences in posture between the 14-year-old boys with general classes and sports [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Zdrowotne, 2004, 1, 13-17.
- Zuchetto A. T., The effects of training on the development of posture in handball athletes. Thesis (M. Ed.) [In Portuguese]. Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria 1991.
- Pietraszewska J., Pietraszewski B., Burdukiewicz A., Computer evaluation of the body posture of the young football players selected biomechanical parameters. Acta Bio-Optica et Informatica Medica. Inżynieria Biomedyczna, 2009, 15 (4), 352-355.
- Grabara M., Hadzik A., The body posture in young athletes compared to their peers. Medycyna Sportowa, 2009, 2 (6), 115-124.
- Wodecki P., Guigui P., Hanotel M. C., Cardinne L., Deburge A., Sagittal alignment of the spine: comparison between football players and subjects without sports activities [in French]. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot, 2002, 88 (4), 328-336, doi: RCO-06-2002-88-4-0035-1040-101019-ART2.
- Zeyland-Malawka E., Seeking the connection between the shape of the spine and intensive physical activity [in Polish]. In: Ślężyński J. (ed.), Body posture of a human and methods of its assessment. AWF, Katowice, 1992, 87-98.
- Wojtys E. M., Ashton-Miller J. A., Huston L. J., Moga P. J., The association between athletic training time and the sagittal curvature if the immature spine. Am J Sports Med, 2000, 28 (4), 490-498.
- Uetake T., Ohsuki F., Tanaka H., Shindo M., The vertebral curvature of sportsmen. J Sports Sci, 1998, 16, 621-628.[Crossref]
- Zeyland-Malawka E., Effects prolonged sport training on the sagittal sharp of the spine. Biology of Sport, 1989, 3, 255-260.
- Lichota M., Plandowska M., Mil P., The shape of anterior-posterior curvatures of the spine in athletes practising selected sports. Pol J Sport Tourism, 2011, 18 (2), 112-116, doi: 10.2478/v10197-011-0009-3.[Crossref]
- Starosta W., Symmetry and asymmetry in shooting demonstrated by elite football players. In: Reilly T., Lees A., Davids K., Murphy W. (eds.), Science and Football. E & FN Spon, London 1988, 346-355.
- Bergier J., Nowicki P., Symmetry and asymmetry of shots during the 2004 UEFA European Football Championship [in Polish].
- McLean B. D., Tumilty D. M., Left-right asymmetry in two types of football kick. Br J Sports Med, 1993, 27 (4), 260-262, doi: 10.1136/bjsm.27.4.260.[Crossref]
- Fugiel J., Krynicka I., The use of Moiré phenomenon in assessing the shape of the spine in the frontal plane. Fizjoterapia, 2010, 18 (1), 26-31, doi: 10.2478/v10109-010-0042-7.[Crossref]
- Mrozkowiak M., Determinants of selected parameters of body posture of children and adolescents and their variability in the light of the projection moiré [in Polish]. ZWKF, Gorzów Wlkp. 2007.
- Jones R. A., Okely A. D., Caputi P., Cliff D. P., Perceived and actual competence among over-weight and non-overweight children. J Sci Med Sport, 2010, 13 (6), 589-596, doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2010.04.002.[WoS][PubMed][Crossref]
- Bussey M. D., Does the demand for asymmetric functional lower body postures in lateral sports relate to structural asymmetry of the pelvis? J Sci Med Sport, 2010, 13 (3), 360-364, doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2009.02.010.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Olszewska E., Trzcińska D., Inclination of spine sections in relation to the vertical axis of the body in 8-11 years old children. Medycyna Sportowa, 2008, 24, 2 (6), 108-116.
- Mauriciene V., Baciuliene K., Spine's sagittal plane curves' coherence with anthropometric parameters in schoolchildren. Education. Physical Training Sport, 2005, 3 (57), 25-29.
- Grabara M., Pstrągowska D., Estimation of the body posture in girls and boys related to their body mass index (BMI). Medycyna Sportowa, 2008, 24, 4 (6), 231-239.
- Lichota M., Spine shape in sagittal and frontal planes in short-and-tall-statured children aged 13 years. Phys Educ Sport, 2008, 52, 92-95, doi: 10.2478/v10030-008-0021-7.[Crossref]
Publication order reference