My Own Body as a Form of Otherness in Paul Ricoeur's Philosophy
Languages of publication
The philosophical rehabilitation of the body and corporeality, as undertaken by Paul Ricoeur, may be inscribed as a critique of the model of modern subjectivity as prefigured in the Cartesian Cogito of self-consciousness, self-awareness and substantial identity. This dominating paradigm of thinking cannot be preserved any longer in the face of Nietzsche and Freud, as well as of contemporary linguistics. This model reduced corporeality as a residuum of what is other than I to a handy object of scientific and technological exploration. Whereas, according to Ricoeur, otherness is not something that only accidentally happens to ego. It is not an unessential element and a negative aspect of a subject's and person's identity. Becoming oneself and understanding oneself take place in the medium of the Other. Otherness is for the identity of human ego something internal and originary, reaching us in a sphere of what is truly our own. The hermeneutics of being oneself, rejecting an appearance and the temptation of direct cognition, consists in the analysis of three figures of Otherness, which seem to be consecutively: my own body, the Other and Conscience.Under the influence of the Husserlian distinction of "my own body" and "a body among other bodies", as well as the Heideggerian existentials describing "being-in-the-world", Ricoeur postulates, in a way similarly to Marcel and Merleau-Ponty, a reinterpretation of traditional understanding of both subjectivity and objectivity, as well as the very cognitive act of doing so. Its pre-reflexive foundation was uncovered by existential hermeneutics. The phenomena of being a body and having it appear to be problematic to the utmost, thus opening access to originary relationships between a man and the world as a correlation of bodily intentionality.
1 - 3 - 2012
3 - 4 - 2012
- Ricoeur P., Oneself as Another. Transl. K. Blamey. University of Chicago Press, Chicago 1992.
- Ricoeur P., Symbolism of Evil [in Polish]. Transl. S. Ochab, S. Cichowicz. PAX, Warszawa 1986.
- Kowalska M., Introduction. Dialectic of being oneself. In: Ricoeur P., Oneself as Another [in Polish]. Transl. B. Chełstowski. PWN, Warszawa 2005, VII-XXXVII.
- Lubowicka G., Conscience as affirmation. An idea of subjectivity in Paul Ricoeur's philosophy [in Polish]. UWr, Wrocław 2000.
- Rosner K., Paul Ricoeur - philosophical sources of his hermeneutics. In: Ricoeur P., Language, text, interpretation. Collection of works [in Polish]. Transl. P. Graff, K. Rosner. PIW, Warszawa 1989.
- Ricoeur P., Faillible Man. Transl. Ch. Kerbley. Henry Regnery, Chicago 1965.
- Cichowicz S., Paul Ricoeur's codes of existence. In: Cichowicz S., Towards concrete reflection. Four historical examples [in Polish]. Słowo/obraz terytoria, Gdańsk 2002.
- Ricoeur P., Hermeneutics and human sciences. Transl. J. B. Thompson. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1981.
- Ricoeur P., Existence and hermeneutics [in Polish]. PAX, Warszawa 1985.
- Ricoeur P., Freud and philosophy: An essay on interpretation. Transl. D. Savage. Yale University Press, New Haven 1970.
- Husserl E., Cartesian meditations [in Polish]. Transl. A. Wajs. PWN, Warszawa 1982.
- Sweeney R., The body as expression of life. Annalecta Husserliana, 1996, 48, 97-106.
- Marcel G., To be and to have [in Polish]. Transl. P. Lubicz. PAX, Warszawa 1986.
- Merleau-Ponty M., Phenomenology of perception [in Polish]. Transl. M. Kowalska, J. Migasiński. Fundacja Aletheia, Warszawa 2001.
- Descombes V., The same and the other [in Polish]. Transl. B. Banasiak, K. Matuszewski. Fundacja Aletheia, Warszawa 1997.
- Ricoeur P., Merleau-Ponty. Beyond Husserl and Heidegger (1989). In: Flynn B., Froman W. J., Vallier R. (eds.), Merleau-Ponty and the possibilities of philosophy. Transforming the tradition. State University of New York Press, Albany 2009, 25-31.
- Nancy J.-L., Corpus [in Polish]. Transl. M. Kwietniewska. Słowo/obraz terytoria, Gdańsk 2002.
- Ricoeur P., According to hope [in Polish]. PAX, Warszawa 1991.
- Ricoeur P., Language, text, interpretation. Collection of works [in Polish]. Transl. P. Graff, K. Rosner. PIW, Warszawa 1989.
Publication order reference