Dynamical Asymmetry of Upper-Limb Movements During Swimming
Languages of publication
Purpose. This study aimed at introducing a method towards determining the dynamical asymmetry of the upper extremities during swimming and to find its relationship with lower-limb movements in children when swimming the breaststroke. Methods. Twenty boys participated in the research, where seven boys were found to perform incorrect lower-limb movements when swimming. Therefore, the subjects were divided into two groups, those who maintained correct lower-limb movements when swimming and those who did not. The subjects swam for short distances using either only their upper limbs or both upper and lower limbs. The water pressure that was exerted on the right and left hand of the subject was recorded for both tests. On the basis of the compiled data, the upper-limb movements' asymmetry index was calculated. Results. Incorrect lower extremity movements when performing the breaststroke resulted in increased upper-limb dynamical asymmetry. Conclusion. The method applied in this study enables one to diagnosis the dynamical asymmetry of upper-limb movements when swimming. Altogether, it was found in the examined group that incorrect lower-limb movements in the breaststroke did not decrease swimming efficiency. However, an increase of the upper extremities' dynamical asymmetry might have decreased the efficiency of the shoulder-girdle muscles' symmetrization. In the case of individuals performing incorrect lower-limb movements in the breaststroke, it is recommended to improve their performance or to swim with the upper limbs only.
1 - 12 - 2011
25 - 12 - 2011
- Brozyna M., Godek L., Sliz M., Niewczas M., The frequency of faulty body posture occurrence at group of children between 7-12 years old in chosen schools of Tarnow district [in Polish]. Przegląd Naukowy Kultury Fizycznej Uniwersytetu Rzeszowskiego, 2008, 2, 121-130.
- Nowotny J., Czupryna K., Rudzińska A., Nowotny-Czupryna O., Body posture changes during first six years of school education. Fizjoterapia Polska, 2008, 8 (4), 378-383.
- Owczarek S., Correction of body posture defects. Swimming and exercises in water [in Polish]. WSiP, Warszawa 1999.
- Kasperczyk T., Postural defects: diagnosis and treatment [in Polish]. Kasper, Kraków 1994.
- Harezlak R., Kowalski P., Slezynski J., A concept of asymmetric exercises for the correction of scoliosis by Ryszard Harezlak. Fizjoterapia Polska, 2008, 8 (4), 401-409.
- Iwanowski W., Corrective and curative swimming in case of scoliosis [in Polish]. Uniwersytet Szczeciński, Szczecin 1997.
- Berger M. A. M., Hollander A. P., De Groot G., Determining propulsive force in front crawl swimming. A comparison of two methods. J Sports Sci, 1999, 17 (2), 97-105.[Crossref]
- Toussaint H. M., Van den Berg C., Beek W. J., "Pumpedup propulsion" during front crawl swimming. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2002, 34 (2), 314-319.
- Wejsflog G., Body posture, its testing and clinical documentation [in Polish]. Chirurgia Narządów Ruchu i Ortopedia Polska, 1956, 21 (2), 113-120.
- Jaszczak M., Dynamical asymmetry of the upper extremities during symmetrical exercises. Hum Mov, 2008, 9 (2), 116-120, doi: 10.2478/v10038-008-0014-7.[Crossref]
- Czabański B., Asymmetry of the lower limbs in breast-stroke swimming. In: Lewillie L., Clarys J. P. (eds.), Swimming II, University Park Press, Baltimore 1975, 207-213.
- Czabański B., Koszczyc T., Relationship between stroke asymmetry and speed of breaststroke swimming. In: Terauds J., Bedingfield E. W. (eds.), Swimming III, University Park Press, Baltimore 1979, 148-152.
- Koszczyc T., Bilateral asymmetry of human body and learning of symmetrical movements on the basis of the selected elements of swimming techniques [in Polish]. Rozprawy Naukowe Akademii Wychowania Fizycznego we Wrocławiu, 1979, 14, 45-94.
- Burgoyne W., Fairbank J., The management of scoliosis. Curr Paediatr, 2001, 11 (5), 323-331, doi: 10.1054/cupe. 2001.0221.[Crossref]
- Grimmer-Somers K., Milanese S., Louw Q., Measurement of cervical posture in the sagittal plane. J Manipulative Physiol Therapeut, 2008, 31 (7), 509-517, doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2008.08.005.[Crossref]
- Penha P. J., Baldini M., Joao S. M. A., Spinal postural alignment variance according to sex and age in 7- and 8-year-old children. J Manipulative Physiol Therapeut, 2009, 32 (2), 154-159, doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2008.12.009.[Crossref][WoS]
- Zhou H., Hu H., Human motion tracking for rehabilitation - a survey. Biomed Signal Process Contr, 2008, 3, 1-18, doi: 10.1016/j.bspc.2007.09.001.[Crossref][WoS]
- Saad K. R., Colombo A. S., Joao S. M. A., Reliability and validity of the photogrammetry for scoliosis evaluation: a cross-sectional prospective study. J Manipulative Physiol Therapeut, 2009, 32 (6), 423-430.
- Takagi H., Wilson B., Calculating hydrodynamic force by using pressure differences in swimming. In: Keskinen K. L., Komi P. V., Hollander A. P. (eds.), Biomechanics and Medicine in Swimming VIII, University of Jyväskylä, Jyväskylä, 1999, 101-106.
- Counsilman J. E., The science of swimming. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs 1968.
- Vagenas G., Hoshizaki B., A multivariate analysis of lower extremity kinematic asymmetry in running. Int J Sports Biomech, 1992, 8 (1), 11-29.
- Carson P. A., The rehabilitation of a competitive swimmer with an asymmetrical breaststroke movements pattern. Man Ther, 1999, 4 (2), 100-106, doi: 10.1054/math.1999.0176.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Zatsiorsky V., M., Kinematics of Human Motion. Human Kinetics, Champaign 1998.
- Pingot M., Czernicki J., Woldanska-Okonska M., Assessment of the efficiency of physio-kinetic method in conservative treatment of idiopatic scoliosis [in Polish]. Kwartalnik Ortopedyczny, 2004, 2, 117-120.
- Pingot M., Czernicki J., Kubacki J., Assessment of muscle strength of hip joints in children with idiopathic scoliosis. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil, 2007, 6 (6), 636-643.
- Iwanowski W., Fecica D., Influence of swimming on the physiological curvature of spine in Wroclaw's girls [in Polish]. Kultura Fizyczna, 1979, 8, 32-34.
- Fajdasz A., Zatoń K., The spinal column formation in young swimmers [in Polish]. Medycyna Sportowa, 2000, 7, 23-26.
- Negrini S., Aulisa L., Ferraro C., Fraschini P., Masiero S., Simonazzi P., Tedeschi C., Venturin A., Italian guidelines on rehabilitation treatment of adolescents with scoliosis or other spinal deformities. Eur Medicophys, 2005, 41 (2), 183-201.
- Lisowski J., Luczak E., Raczkowski J., Pawlicka A., Poziomska-Piatkowska E., Adaptation of contemporary breaststroke swimming technique for the needs of motor rehabilitation [in Polish]. Kwartalnik Ortopedyczny, 2007, 1, 4-7.
- Salmoni A. W., Schmidt R. A., Walter C. B., Knowledge of results and motor learning: a review and critical reappraisal. Psychol Bull, 1984, 95 (3), 355-386.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Lord M., Kinnear E., Smith D. M., Video aid to rehabilitation of standing balance. Med Biol Eng Comput, 1982, 20 (3), 281-285, doi: 10.1007/BF02442793.[Crossref]
- Simon A. M., Gillespie R. B., Ferris D. P., Symmetry-based resistance as a novel means of lower limb rehabilitation. J Biomech, 2007, 40, 1286-1292.[Crossref][PubMed][WoS]
Publication order reference