The Effects of 12-Week Aerobic Exercises on Rate of Mental Health in Male Students of Ahvaz Payam Noor University
Languages of publication
Purpose. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of 12-week aerobic exercises on self-esteem, social desirability and rate of mental health in male students of Payam Noor University (PNU). Basic procedures. For this reason we used male college students (n = 80, age = 22 ± 2. 1) who did not do any sport. They were randomly assigned to experimental (n = 40) and control (n = 40) groups, after having been selected via stratified random sampling among students of Ahvaz Payam Noor University. Also, to collect data there were implemented the Cooper test and the general health questionnaire of Goldberg (GHQ) and social desirability questionnaire of Crowne-Marlowe. Main findings. Statistical analysis showed that training like aerobic exercises is related to a significant improvement in mental health, self-esteem and social desirability because of favorable changes in some of physiological and psychological parameters. Conclusions. This study was of a semi-experimental type (pre-test, post-test). Data analyzed by Multivariate Analysis Of Variance (MANOVA) at p value (p = 0.05) revealed that there were significant differences between experimental group and control group, in mental health, self-esteem and social desirability.
1 - 12 - 2010
21 - 12 - 2010
- Bellamy J. L., Behavioral problems following reunification of children in long term foster care. Child Youth Serv Rev, 2008, 30 (2), 216-228. doi:10.1016/j.childyouth.2007.09.008.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- Pelegrino N. R., Lucheta P. A., Sanchez F. F., Faganello M. M., Ferrari R., Godoy I., Influence of lean body mass on cardiopulmonary repercussions during the six-minute walk test in patients with COPD. J Bras Pneumol, 2009, 35 (1), 20-26. doi:10.1590/S1806-37132009000100004.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Brosnahan J., Steffen L. M., Lytle L., Patterson J., Boostrom A., The relation between physical activity and mental health among Hispanic and non-Hispanic white adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med, 2004, 158 (8), 818-823.
- Paluska S. A., Schwenk T. L., Physical activity and mental health current concepts. Sport Med, 2000, 29 (3), 167-180.[Crossref]
- McArdle W. D., Katch F. I., Katch V. L., Exercise physiology: energy, nutrition, and human performance. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, USA 2006.
- Wilmore J. H., Costill D. L., Physiology of sport and exercise. 2nd ed. Human Kinetics, USA 1994.
- Hills P., Argyle M., Happiness, introversion-extraversion and happy introverts. J Personality and Individual Differences, 2001, 30 (4), 595-608. doi:10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00058-1.[Crossref]
- Atlantis E., Chow C. M., Kirby A., Fiatarone M., An effective exercise-based intervention for improving mental health and quality of life measures: a randomized controlled trial. Prev Med, 2004, 39 (2), 424-434. doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.02.007.[Crossref]
- DeHart T., Pelham B. W., Fluctuations in state implicit self-esteem in response to daily negative events. J Exp Soc Psychol, 2006, 43 (1), 157-165. doi:10.1016/j.jesp.2006.01.002.[Crossref]
- Dishman R. K., Hales D. P., Pfeiffer K. A., Felton G., Saunders R., Physical self-concept and self-esteem mediate cross-sectional relations of physical activity and sport participation with depression symptoms among adolescent girls. Health Psychol, 2006, 25, 396-407.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Jago R., Barnowski J. C., Barnowski T., Cullen K. W., Thompson D. I., Social desirability is associated with some physical activity, psychosocial variables and sedentary behavior but not self-reported physical activity among adolescent males. Health Educ Res, 2007, 22 (3), 438-449. doi:10.1093/her/cyl107.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Klein M. H., Greist I. H., Gurtman A. S., A comparative outcome study of group psychotherapy vs exercise treatments for depression. Int J Ment Health, 1984-1985, 13 (3-4), 148-176.
- B. Knechtle, Influence of physical activity on mental well-being and psychiatric disorders [in German]. Praxis, 2004, 93 (35), 1403-1411. doi:10.1024/0369-83188.8.131.523.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Guszkowska M., Effect of exercise on anxiety, depression and mood [in Polish]. Psychiatr Pol, 2004, 38 (4), 611-620.[PubMed]
- O'Connor P. J., Raglin J. S., Martinsen E. W., Physical activity, anxiety and anxiety disorders. Int J Sport Psychol, 2000, 31, 136-155.
- Van den Berg E. R., Balk A., Bussmann H., Stam H., Does aerobic training lead to a more active lifestyle and improved quality of life in patients with chronic heart failure? Eur J Heart Fail, 2004, 6 (1), 95-100. doi:10.1016/j.ejheart.2003.10.005.[Crossref]
Publication order reference