Effectiveness of Visual Information in the Process of Teaching Swimming Motor Activities
Languages of publication
Purpose. In the process of learning motor functions, it is important to avoid perpetuating the wrong movements. For this purpose, it is recommended to use a combination of various media: speech, demonstration and practical activity. However, in some cases the learning process can be disrupted by difficult conditions (e.g. buzz at a swimming pool), which cause significant disturbance in perception of verbal information. In this situation, the teacher may use visual communication (in the form of gestures). The aim of this study was to determine differences in the accuracy of learning swimming skills (in the experimental and control groups) after implementing visual information (in the form of gestures) in the experimental group. Basic procedures. The test method used was a pedagogical experiment conducted among 86 people (40 in the experimental group and 46 in the control group). The difference between the groups consisted in different ways of correcting errors in movements: in the experimental group, I introduced an independent variable - visual information communicated by gestures, while in the control group errors were eliminated by means of verbal information. Main findings. Analysis of the results shows that the difference in the coefficients of swimming accuracy in the experimental and control groups is statistically significant and in favour of the experimental group. The result was significantly influenced by the precision of hip joint movements - bending and straightening - reached in the experimental group. Slightly less, but also important were differences in the precision of single movements like arm flexion, dorsal flexion in the talocrural joint and extension of the knee. Conclusions. 1. Visual information transmitted using "language of gestures" affects the accuracy of learning swimming motor activities. 2. In teaching of swimming motor activities, visual information is more effective than the information communicated verbally.
1 - 12 - 2010
21 - 12 - 2010
- Guła-Kubiszewska H., Didactic effects of self-regulatory motor learning [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF we Wrocławiu, 86.
- Brooks G. A., Fahey T. D., Exercise physiology: human bioenergetics and its applications. Macmillan Publishing, New York 1985.
- Borroni A. M., Fichtenholtz H., Woodside B. L., Teyler T. J., Role of voltage-dependent calcium channel long-term potentation (LTP) and NMDA LTP in spatial memory. J Neurosci, 2000, 20, 9272-9276.
- Geinisman Y., Structural synaptic modification, associated with hippocampal LTP and behavioral learning. Cereb Cortex, 2000, 10, 952-962.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Baudry M., Lynch G., Remembrance of arguments past: how well is the glutamate receptor hypothesis of LTP holding up after 20 years? Neurobiol Learn Mem, 2001, 76, 284-297. doi:10.1006/NLME.2001.4023.[Crossref]
- Villarreal D. M., Do U., Haddad E., Derrich B. E., NMDA receptor antagonists sustain LTP and spatial memory: active processes mediate LTP decay. Nat Neurosci, 2002, 5, 48-52. doi:10.1038/Nn776.[Crossref]
- Zatoń K., Verbal communication during Physical Education classes [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF we Wrocławiu, 1995, 48.
- Czabański B., Selected problems of learning and teaching sports techniques [in Polish]. AWF, Wrocław 1998.
- Zatoń K., The effectiveness of verbal information while teaching motor functions in swimming [in Polish]. Rozprawy Naukowe AWF we Wrocławiu, 1981, 16, 242-253.
- Zatoń K., The influence of quality and quantity of verbal information on the creation of plans and programs of motor activity [in Polish]. In: Bober T. (ed.) V Szkoła Biomechaniki i Nauczania Techniki Sportowej. Zeszyty Naukowe AWF Wrocław, 1986, 42, 237-250.
- Zatoń K., Optimization of Verbal Method of Teaching the Breaststroke [in Polish]. Kultura Fizyczna, 1993, 7-8, 19-21.
- Ungerer D., Zur Theorie des sensomotorischen Lernens. 3rd edition. Hofmann, Schorndorf 1977.
- Kotarbiński T., The treatise of good work [in Polish]. Zakład Narodowy im. Ossolińskich, Wydawnictwo Polskiej Akademii Nauk, Wrocław-Warszawa-Kraków 2000.
- Pietrusik K., Kałmuczak A., Kokoszko J., Dimorfic diversity of selected somatic and motor properties in young swimmers [in Polish]. In: Problems of Sexual Dysmorphism in Sport: Post-Conference Materials of the 4th International Scientific Conference. AWF, Katowice 1997, 118-122.
- Ignasiak Z., Conditioning of the development of school-age children's morphological and motor characteristics in the aspect of biological age [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF we Wrocławiu, 1988, 19.
- Burzycka-Wilk D., The effectiveness of immediate information in the process of teaching motor activities [in Polish]. PhD Thesis, AWF, Wrocław 2008.
- Ferguson G. A., Takane Y., Statistic analysis in psychology and pedagogy [in Polish]. PWN, Warszawa 1997.
- Shannon C. E., Wearer W., A mathematical theory of communication. The University Press, Illinois 1949.
- Pyżow W. W., Correction of errors in swimming techniques of the self-taught [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Higiena Szkolna, 1966, 5, 15-18.
- Pyżow W. W., Language of gestures [in Polish]. Kultura Fizyczna, 1968, 11, 518-520.
- Pyżow W. W., Application of the immediate information method in the initial phase of learning swimming [in Polish]. Kultura Fizyczna, 1969, 10, 478-482.
- Tomaszewski T., Main ideas of contemporary psychology [in Polish]. Wydawnictwo Akademickie Żak, Warszawa 1998.
- Bogen M. M., Problems of increasing effectiveness of teaching motor activities. [in Polish], Zeszyty Naukowe AWF we Wrocławiu, 1989, 50, 150-154.
- Domaradzki J., Experienced and novice teachers of swimming vs their language of gestures [in Polish]. Master Thesis, AWF, Wrocław 1995.
- Dybińska E., Effectiveness in the learning and teaching of swimming skills to children at the younger school age in the light of the applied method. Annales Universitatis Mariae Curie-Skłodowska, Sectio D Medicina, 2004, 95, 14, 496-502.
- Dybińska E., Communicating visual information in teaching swimming skills as the criterion of effectiveness of the didactic process [in Polish]. In: Bartoszewicz R., Koszczyc T., Nowak A. (eds.), Didactics of Physical Education vs. Educational Needs. WTN, Wrocław 2005, 407-416.
Publication order reference