The Estimation of Educational Needs of Physical Education Teachers in the Light of the New Educational Program Basis
Languages of publication
Purpose. The study is aimed at showing the state of educational needs of physical education (PE) teachers in the light of the new educational program as well as presenting their opinions about the implementation of some elements of the up-to-date physical education didactics (on the example of teachers in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship). Basic procedures. The survey was conducted in March 2009 among 118 people (including 63 men and 55 women) - PE teachers of various working experience (1 to 36 years of work experience), from randomly chosen primary schools (PS) and secondary schools called gymnasium (G) in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship. Main findings. The analysed views of PE teachers of primary schools and gymnasia of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship allow us to state that the teachers notice a need to use basic elements of the up-to-date physical education didactics. They expect concrete materials on the educational program of physical education for 2009. The highest percentage of PE teachers (up to ca. 80%) would like to make use of information on proposals for up-to-date forms of exercises, health-giving training and lifelong sporting activities. Over 70% of them feel the need for materials on pupils' activation and individualisation in PE classes and descriptions of how to use activating methods (ca. 68%). A high percentage, amounting up to 62%, think that these materials should concern methods in health education, and 58.5% (including 66.7% of PS and 50.8% of SS) want to learn about proposals for activities which develop pupils' health. Conclusions. Physical education teachers employed at elementary schools and gymnasia in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, regardless of sex and work experience, support the educational program of physical education. Regarding the usage of various diagnostic tools, it was found out that there are statistically significant differences between elementary school teachers and gymnasia ones. Physical education teachers, regardless of school type, sex and work experience, emphasize the need for training in the didactics of their subject and in health education.
1 - 12 - 2010
21 - 12 - 2010
- Tones K., Green J., Health promotion. Planning and strategies. SAGE, London 2004.
- Krawański A., Human body and health in the modern system of physical education. [in Polish]. AWF, Poznań 2003.
- Ubbes V. A., Educating for Heath - An Inquiry Based Approach to PreK-8 Pedagogy. Human Kinetics, Champaign 2008.
- Przetacznik-Gierowska M., Makiełło-Jarża G., Basic general psychology [in Polish]. WSiP, Warszawa 1989.
- Bukowiec M., On Prof. W. Okon's theory of many-sided education and its usefulness in physical education [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1990, 4, 109-113.
- Frołowicz T., Educational intentions of physical education teachers, between declarations and actions [in Polish]. AWFiS, Gdańsk 2002.
- Dudzikowa M., A myth about school as a place of many-sided development of pupils. Etnopedagogical esseys [in Polish]. Oficyna Wydawnicza Impuls, Kraków 2001.
- Bielski J., Methodology of physical and health educations. A textbook for physical education teachers and students of pedagogical subjects [in Polish]. Oficyna Wydawnicza Impuls, Kraków 2005.
- Wilk B., Students' opinions of the Academy of Physical Education and Sports from Gdańsk about their preparation for prohealth education program at school [in Polish]. Rocz PZH, 2006, 57 Suppl., 43-46.[PubMed]
- Lewandowski M., Antoszczuk G., Kiciński B., Surynt A., Third year University' School of Physical Education in Wrocław student's opinion about their arrangement to health teacher role [in Polish]. Rocz PZH, 2006, 57 Suppl., 65-69.
- Smith B. J., Potts-Datema W., Nolte A. E., Challenges in teacher preparation for school health education and promotion. Promot Educ, 2005, 12 (3-4), 162-164. doi:10.1177/10253823050120030116.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Grabowski H., Some critical remarks about physical education and teacher training [in Polish]. Oficyna Wydawnicza Impuls, Kraków 2004, 57.
- Śmiglewska M., Changes in education vs. pedagogical reorientation of physical education teachers. Between creativity and professional abandon, the findings [in Polish]. Rocznik Naukowy AWFiS, 2005, 15, 131-146.
- Szewczyk T., Dudkiewicz K., Teachers' competence in health education [in Polish]. In: Pęczkowski R. (ed.), The Polish Education System after the Reform Introduced in 1999. The Present State, Perspectives and Threads. Poznań-Warszawa 2005, 232-235.
- Drabik J., Pedagogical control of positive measures of physical health [in Polish]. AWFiS, Gdańsk 2006.
- Kostencka A., Motor abilities vs. a mark in physical education in the reformed Polish school [in Polish]. In: Michalski A., Napierała M., Zasada M. (eds.), Physical Education, Sport for Children and Young People. Wydawnictwo Akademii Bydgoskiej, Bydgoszcz, 2005, 118-123.
- Woynarowska B., Małkowska A., School's physical and social environments and actions in the field of health education, prevention and health promotion in school headmasters' opinions [in Polish]. In: Woynarowska B. (ed.), The Psychosocial School Environemnt vs. Health and Health Behaviour of Pupils in Poland. Uniwersytet Warszawski, Warszawa 2003, 133-162.
- Fedyn B., Self-assessment of teachers' methodological competence in health education [in Polish]. In: Woynarowska B. (ed.), Training Teachers and Educationalists in Health Education. Uniwersytet Warszawski, Warszawa 2005, 90, 89-94.
- Lewicki Cz., Teachers' competence and realization of health education in kindergartens and primary schools [in Polish]. In: Woynarowska B. (ed.), Training Teachers and Educationalists in Health Education. Uniwersytet Warszawski, Warszawa 2005, 85-89.
- Jourdan D., Samdal O., Diagne F., Carvalho G. S., The future of health promotion in schools goes through the strengthening of teacher training at a global level. Promot Educ, 2008, 15 (3), 36-38. doi:10.1177/1025382308095657.[Crossref]
Publication order reference