Ultra Distance Running in View of Health and Amateur Sport
Languages of publication
Purpose. The aim of the study was to examine opinions of runners regarding the effects of ultra distance running on their health.Basic procedures. The study sample was a group of 54 runners, participants of the Polish Supermarathon Championships in Kalisz. The method of diagnostic poll was applied using author's own questionnaire.Main findings. The majority of extreme distance runners stated they experienced no health problems; keeping fit was their main motivation to run long distances and since taking up running their health had improved. At the same time 36% of the interviewees admitted that running longer distances than the marathon length may have a negative impact on their health.Conclusions. Proper understanding of the principles of amateur and professional sport is the basis of safe physical activity. Amateur sport activity is correlated with a healthy lifestyle and positively affects the physical and psychosocial aspects of health. Simple forms of motor activity should be popularized in Poland as well as professional sport.
1 - 6 - 2010
30 - 7 - 2010
- Maciantowicz, J., Nowak, P., Running - an idea for a healthy life [in Polish]. AWF, Wrocław 2002.
- Kozłowski, S., The limits of accommodation [in Polish]. PWN, Warszawa 1986.
- Drabik, J., Physical activity of adults [in Polish]. AWF, Gdańsk 1996.
- Drabik, J., Physical activity, fitness and efficiency as health indices [in Polish]. AWF, Gdańsk 1997.
- Kuński, H., Health training of adults [in Polish]. MEDSPORT-PRESS, Warszawa 2003.
- Jaskólski, A., Motor activity as a determinant of health. In: Jaskólski A. (ed.), The rudiments of a physical exertion physiology and outline of human physiology [in Polish]. AWF, Wrocław 2002, 340-358.
- Naglak, Z., The methodology of athlete training [in Polish]. AWF, Wrocław 1999.
- Prus, G., Cross-country, mountain, road and marathon races training [in Polish]. BK, Katowice 2005.
- Nowak, P. F., Health training of women in the context of modern lifestyle [in Polish]. PWSZ, Racibórz 2007.
Publication order reference