The Association Between Body Dissatisfaction and Nutritional Status in Adolescents
Languages of publication
Purpose. This study analyzes the association between body dissatisfaction and nutritional status in adolescents. Basic Procedures. The study enrolled 234 boys and 442 girls. Information was collected on body image and anthropometry performed. Nutritional status was stratified into two categories: healthy (BMI: 18.5-25.0 kg/m2) and unhealthy (BMI: <18.5 and >25.0 kg/m2). Body image was coded as satisfied and dissatisfied. Main findings. It was found that 65.5% of adolescents were dissatisfied with their body image. While the girls wished to reduce their body silhouettes (48.4%), the boys wished to increase in size (51.3%). Unhealthy nutritional status was only associated with body dissatisfaction among the girls (95%CI = 1.35-3.43). Overweight girls were 11 times more likely to be dissatisfied with their bodies than normal weight girls. Conclusions. Nutritional status was a determinant factor for body dissatisfaction, primarily among female adolescents, since those whose nutritional status was unhealthy had different levels of dissatisfaction from those with healthy BMI.
1 - 6 - 2010
30 - 7 - 2010
- Banfield, S., McCabe, M. P., An evaluation and clinical implications of the construct of body image. Adolescence, 2002, 37, 373-394.
- Ricciardelli, L. A., McCabe, M. P., Children's body image concerns and eating disturbance: a review of the literature. Clin Psychol Rev, 2001, 21 (3), 325-344. DOI: 10.1016/S0272-7358(99)00051-3.[Crossref]
- Li, Y., Hu, X., Ma, W., Wu, J., Ma, G., Body image perceptions among Chinese children and adolescents. Body Image, 2005, 2(2), 91-103. DOI: 10.1016/j.bodyim.2005.04.001.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Pinheiro, A. P., Giugliani, E. R. J., Body dissatisfaction in Brazilian schoolchildren: prevalence and associated factors. Rev Saude Publica, 2006, 40 (3), 489-496.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Branco, L. M., Hilário, M. O. E., Cintra, I. P., Perception and satisfaction with body image in adolescents and correlations with nutrition status [in Portuguese]. Rev Psiquiatr Clín, 2006, 33 (6), 292-296. DOI: 10.1590/S0101-60832006000600001.[Crossref]
- Triches, R. M., Giugliani, E. R. J., Body dissatisfaction in school children from two cities in the South of Brazil [in Portuguese]. Rev Nutr, 2007, 20, 119-128. DOI: 10.1590/S1415-52732007000200001.[Crossref]
- Eisenberg, M. E., Neumark-Sztainer, D., Paxton, S. J., Five year change in body satisfaction among adolescents. J Psychosom Res, 2006, 61 (4), 521-527. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2006.05.007.[Crossref]
- Smolak, L., Stein, J. A., The relationship of drive for muscularity to sociocultural factors, self-esteem, physical attributes gender role, and social comparison in middle school boys. Body Image, 2006, 3 (2), 121-129. DOI: 10.1016/j.bodyim.2006.03.002.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Almeida, G. A. N., Santos, J. E., Pasian, S. R., Loureiro, S. R., Perceptions of body shape and size in women: an exploratory study [in Portuguese]. Psicologia em Estudo, 2005, 10 (1), 27-35. DOI: 10.1590/S1413-73722005000100005.[Crossref]
- Durkin, S. J., Paxton, S. J., Predictors of vulnerability to reduced body image satisfaction and psychological wellbeing in response to exposure to idealized female media images in adolescent girls. J Psychosom Res, 2002, 53 (5), 995-1005. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-3999(02)00489-0.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Conti, M. A., Frutuoso, M. F. P., Gambardella, A. M. D., Obesity and body dissatisfaction amongst adolescents [in Portuguese]. Rev Nutr, 2005, 18 (4), 491-497. DOI: 10.1590/S1415-52732005000400005.[Crossref]
- World Health Organization. Physical status: use and interpretation of anthropometry. WHO, Geneva 1995.
- Wang, G., Dietz, W. H., Economic burden of obesity in youths aged 6 to 17 years: 1979-1999. Pediatrics, 2002, 109 (5), e81-86.
- Luiz, R. R., Magnanini, M. M. F., The logic of sample size determination in epidemiological research [in Portuguese]. Cad Saúde Coletiva, 2000, 8 (2), 9-28.
- Stunkard, A. J., Sorenson, T., Schlusinger, F., Use of the Danish Adoption Register for the study of obesity and thinness. In: Kety S. S., Rowland L. P., Sidman R. L., Matthysse S. W. (eds.), The genetics of neurological and psychiatric disorders. Raven Press, New York 1983, 115-120.
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology. The Canadian Physical Activity, Fitness and Lifestyle Appraisal: CSEP's guide to health active living. 3rd ed. CSEF, Ottawa 2004.
- Cole, T. J., Bellizzi, M. C., Flegal, K. M., Dietz, W. H., Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ, 2000, 320 (7244), 1240. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.320.7244.1240.[Crossref]
- Cole, T. J., Flegal, K. M., Nicholls, D., Jackson, A. A., Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey. BMJ, 2007, 335 (7612), 194. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.39238.399444.55.[WoS][Crossref]
- Petroski, E. L., Velho, N. M., De Bem, M. F. L., Menarche age and satisfaction with body weight [in Portuguese]. Rev Bras Cineantropom Desempenho Hum, 1999, 1 (1), 30-36.
- Al Sabbah, H., Vereecken, C. A., Elgar, F. J., Nansel, T., Aasvee, K., Abdeen, Z. et al., Body weight dissatisfaction and communication with parents among adolescents in 24 countries: international cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health, 2009, 9, 52. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-9-52.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- Kostanski, M., Fisher, A., Gullone E., Current conceptualization of body image dissatisfaction: have we got it wrong? J Child Psychol Psychiatry, 2004, 45 (7), 1317-1325. DOI: 10.1111/j.1469-7610.2004.00315.x.[Crossref]
- Barker, E. T., Galambos, N. L., Body dissatisfaction of adolescent girls and boys: Risk and resource factors. J Early Adolesc, 2003, 23 (2), 141-165. DOI: 10.1177/0272431603023002002.[Crossref]
- Lawrie, Z., Sullivan, E. A., Davies, P. S. W., Hill, R. J., Media influence on the body image of children and adolescents. Eat Disord, 2006, 14 (5), 355-364.[Crossref][PubMed]
- McCabe, M. P., Ricciardelli, L. A., Body image dissatisfaction among males across the lifespan: a review of past literature. J Psychosom Res, 2004, 56 (6), 675-685. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-3999(03)00129-6[PubMed][Crossref]
- Pope, H. G. Jr., Gruber, A. J., Mangweth, B., Bureau, B., deCol, C., Jouvent, R. et al., Body image perception among men in three countries. Am J Psychiatry, 2000, 157, 1297-1301.
- Cohane, G. H., Pope, H. G. Jr., Body image in boys: a review of the literature. Int J Eat Disord, 2001, 29 (4), 373-379. DOI: 10.1002/eat.1033.[Crossref]
- Storvoll, E. E., Strandbu, A., Wichstrom, L., A cross-sectional study of changes in Norwegian adolescents' body image from 1992 to 2002. Body Image, 2005, 2 (1), 5-18. DOI: 10.1016/j.bodyim.2005.01.001.
- Lynch, W. C., Heil, D. P., Wagner, E., Havens, M. D., Ethnic differences in BMI, weight concerns, and eating behaviors: Comparison of Native American, White, and Hispanic adolescents. Body Image, 2007, 4 (2), 179-190. DOI: 10.1016/j.bodyim.2007.01.001.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Markland, D., Ingledew, D. K., The relationships between body mass and body image and relative autonomy for exercise among adolescent males and females. Psychol Sport Exerc, 2007, 8 (5), 836-853. DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2006.11.002.[WoS][Crossref]
Publication order reference