Force-Velocity Parameters of Knee Flexors and Extensors in 10-12-Year-Old Children with Spinal and Knee Diseases
Languages of publication
Purpose. Assessment of the muscles force of knee flexors and extensors in children with a scoliosis of the first degree and knock-knees and comparison with healthy children. Basic procedures. Forty-nine boys and girls aged 10-12 years participated in this research project. The subjects were divided into three research groups. Group I included children with first degree scoliosis; Group II children with knock-knees; and Group III healthy children. An analysis of force-velocity parameters of knee flexors and extensors in isokinetic conditions (with the loads of 1.05 rad/s (60°/s), 3.14 rad/s (180°/s) and 4.19 rad/s (240°/s)) was carried out. Each subject had to perform flexion and extension movements of the knee five times, developing peak torque in the shortest time possible in each movement. Main findings. The research showed that healthy children obtained significantly higher values of peak torque, total work and mean power as compared with the other children. However, no significant differences between values obtained by scoliotic children and children with knock-knees were found. Conclusions. Corrective exercise programs for children with scoliosis and children with knock-knees should be accompanied by general fitness exercises directed at improvement of force and endurance of lower limb muscles.
1 - 12 - 2009
14 - 12 - 2009
- Żukowska Z., Health-oriented education of youths - a successful investment in a healthy society [in Polish]. Medycyna Sportowa, 2000, 108 (7), 8-15.
- Barczyk. K., Skolimowski T., Zawadzka D., Changes in body posture in children with first degree scoliosis taking part in corrective exercise in a water environment [in Polish]. Ortopedia. Traumatologia. Rehabilitacja, 2005, 7 (2), 180-186.
- Gellta-Mac I., Correction of body posture defects in school environments [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Zdrowotne, 2001, 2, 16-22.
- Kutzner-Kozińska M., Correction process of body posture defects [in Polish]. PZWL, Warszawa 1998.
- Kasperczyk T., Body posture defects [in Polish]. Firma Handlowo-Usługowa "Kasper" s.c., Kraków 1996.
- Skrzek A., Anwajler J., Mraz M., Wo&zAniewski M., Skolimowski. T., Evaluation of force-speed parameters of the trunk muscles in idiopathic scoliosis. Isokinetic and Exercise Science, 2003, 11 (4), 197-203.
- Buchanan P.A., Vardaxis V.G., Sex-related and age-related differences in knee strength of basketball players aged 11-17 years. J Athl Train, 2003, 38 (3), 231-237.
- Mameletzi D., Siatras Th., Sex differences in isokinetic strength and power of knee muscles in 10-12 year old swimmers. Isokinetics and Exercise Science, 2003, 11 (4), 231-237.
- Mameletzi D., Siatras Th., Tsalis G., Kellis S., The relationship between lean body mass and isokinetic peak torque of knee extensors and flexors in young male and female swimmers. Isokinetics and Exercise Science, 2003, 11 (3), 159-163.
- Mayer F., Horstmann T., Kranenberg U., Röcker K., Dickhuth H.H., Reproducibility of isokinetic peak torque and angle at peak torque in the shoulder joint. Int J Sports Med, 1994, 15, S26-S31. DOI: 10.1055/s-2007-1021106.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Suman O.E., Spies R.J., Celis M.M., Mlcak R.P., Herndon D.N., Effects of 12-wk resistance exercise program on skeletal muscle strength in children with burn injuries. J Appl Physiol, 2001, 91 (3), 1168-1175.
- Horvat M., Croce R., Pitetti K.H., Fernhall B., Comparison of isokinetic peak force and work parameters in youth with and without mental retardation. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1999, 31 (8), 1190-1195.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Deighan M.A., De Ste Croix M.B.A., Armstrong N., Reliability of isokinetic concentric and eccentric knee and elbow extension and flexion in 9/10 year old boys. Isokinetics and Exercise Science, 2003, 11 (2), 109-115.
- De Ste Croix M.B.A., Armstrong N., Welsman J.R., The reliability of an isokinetic knee muscle endurance test in young children. Pediatr Exerc Sci, 2003, 15 (3), 313-323.
- Stefańska M., Skolimowski T., Zawadzka D., Lower limbs' muscle force assessment in children with knock-knees - a pilot study [in Polish]. Fizjoterapia, 2004, 12 (3), 5-10.
- Nowotny-Czupryna O., Brzęk A., Nowotny J., The knowledge of parents about postural defects of the children attending corrective exercises courses [in Polish]. Fizjoterapia, 2002, 10 (3-4), 43-50.
Publication order reference