Relationship between Knee Joint Flexor and Extensor Torques and Tissue Components in Young Men
Languages of publication
Purpose. The purpose of this work was to assess the relationship between muscle torques in the knee joint area and components of tissue composition by means of the bioelectrical impedance method. Basic procedures. 31 male subjects, aged 22-23, participated in the study. Basic morphological parameters, namely: body height (BH), body mass (BM) and somatotype were measured by the usage of Sheldon method modified by Heath and Carter. The body composition was examined using an BIA 101S apparatus by Akern. Torques of the knee joint extensors and flexors of both limbs were measured for joint angles 75° and 30°, respectively. In the statistical report cluster analysis was applied (k-means). Step regression was applied in order to evaluate the relationship between muscle torques and tissue components. Main findings. A significant correlation (r = 0.42 for p ≤ 0.01) between the torques of the knee joint extensors and the entire content of lean body, its metabolically active components (BCM) and muscle mass was observed. Also, a high value of correlation coefficient between extensors and fat mass was noticed. Significant correlations between flexor torque and muscle mass, cell mass and lean body were observed. Conclusions. The results obtained enable us to conclude that the values of muscle torques are significantly connected with the level of development of the tissue components, thus its estimation may be based on the measurement of body components.
1 - 6 - 2009
8 - 6 - 2009
- Wit A., Eliasz J., Gajewski J., Janiak J., Jaszczuk J., Trzaskoma Z., Maximal isometric muscle torque assesment in elite athletes. Acta Bioeng Biomech, 2002, 4(Suppl. 1), 591-592.
- Ellenbecker T.S., Roetert E.P., Sueyoshi T., Riewald S., A descriptive profile of age-specific knee extension flexion strength in elite junior tennis players. Br J Sports Med, 2007, 41(11), 728-732. DOI: 10.1136/bjsm.2007.037085.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Ergün M., İşlegen Ç., Taşkıran E., A cross-sectional analysis of sagittal knee laxity and isokinetic muscle strength in soccer players. Int J Sports Med, 2004, 25(8), 594-598. DOI: 10.1055/s-2004-821116.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Zakas A., Bilateral isokinetic peak torque of quadriceps and hamstring muscles in professional soccer players with dominance on one or both two sides. J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 2006, 46(1), 28-35.[PubMed]
- Erdman K.S., Lipińska P., Norms of static strength potentiality of basic muscle groups of young, fit men and women. Acta Bioeng Biomech, 2001, 3(Suppl. 2), 137-142.
- Pietraszewski B., Zawadzki J., Pietraszewska J., Burdukiewicz A., Body composition and muscle torques of lower limbs [in Polish]. Biol Sport, 1997, 14(Suppl. 7), 105-107.
- Buśko K., Madej A, Mastalerz A, Urbanik C., Wit A., Dependence between maximal power developed in selected movement acts and lean body mass and static torque of the lower limbs [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 2004, 48(1), 25-32.
- Madej A., Mastalerz A., Irańska D., Ostrowska E., Urbanik C., Evaluation of speed - strength abilities of lower limbs in men with different somatotypes [in Polish]. Acta Bioeng Biomech, 2004, 6(Suppl. 1), 278-282.
- Ruchlewicz T., Chwała W., Staszkiewicz R., Gender differences in muscle torques distribution in subjects aged 20-23 years. [in Polish]. Biol Sport, 1997, 14(Suppl. 7), 118-123.
- Bober T., Hay J.G., Distribution of muscle strength of limbs in men [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1990, 34(3), 3-23.
- Buśko K., Distribution of muscle torques in Men and Women [in Polish]. Biol Sport, 1997, 14(Suppl. 7), 32-36.
- Fidelus K., Goluch A, Komor A., Measurements of torques of Selected Lower Limbs Extensors and Flexors in Static Conditions [in Polish]. Probl Techniki Med, 1978, 9, 203-210.
- Trzaskoma Z., Trzaskoma Ł., The proportion between maximal torque of core muscles in male and female athletes. [in Polish]. Acta Bioeng Biomech, 2001, 3(Suppl. 2), 601-606.
- Bober T., Pietraszewski B., Strength of muscle groups in swimmers. Biol Sport, 1996, 13(2), 155-164.
- Giampietro M., Pujia A., Bertini I., Anthropometric features and body composition of young athletes practicing karate at a high and medium competitive level. Acta Diabetol, 2003, 40(Suppl.1), 145-148. DOI: 10.1007/s00592-003-0049-3.[Crossref]
- Krawczyk B., Skład M., Majle B., Body components of male and female athletes representing various sports. Biol Sport, 1995, 12(4), 243-250.
- Pietraszewska J., Pietraszewski B., Relationship between body build and force abilities in soccer players [in Polish]. In: Diagnostika pohybového systému: metody vyšetřeni, primarní prevence, prostředky pohybové terapie: sbornik V. mezinárodní konference v oboru funkční antropologie a zdravotní tělesné výchovy, Olomouc, Univerzita Palackeho, 2002, 113-119.
Publication order reference