The Significance of Environmental Factors for Physical Development of Adolescents
Languages of publication
Purpose. The aim of the study was to determine the influence of environmental factors on the physical development of girls and boys at puberty. Basic procedure. The sample of adolescents of both sexes was studied using comprehensive measuring data and information from surveys. To examine correlations between quantitative and qualitative data the factor analysis was used (onedimensional test F for every variable). Main findings. The biological indices of social stratification of adolescents under study were the results of medicine ball throw test and maximal anaerobic power (MAP). The MAP was calculated using results of the standing broad jump test. The highest level of physical development was noted among the group of students with the best environmental conditions. The majority of subjects with a high level of physical development came from families with a single child and with monthly net income per person from 301 to 500 PLN and more. Their parents had at least a secondary education and were either white-collar or blue-collar workers. Conclusions. To enhance physical fitness of young people the pre-pubescence period should be used better. During the pubescence period children should have every opportunity to take part in various extra curricular classes during the school year. In addition, appropriate conditions for active leisure pursuits (during summer or winter holidays) should be created for children to develop their physical recreation interests.
1 - 6 - 2009
8 - 6 - 2009
- Van Wieringen J.C., Secular growth changes. In: Falkner F., Tanner J.M. (eds.), Human growth: a comprehensive treatise. Vol. 3. Plenum Press, New York, 1986, 307-331.
- Sabate J., Lindsted K.D., Harris R.D., Johnston P.K., Anthropometric parameters of schoolchilderen with different life-styles. Am J Dis Child, 1990, 144(10), 1159-1163.
- Łaska-Mierzejewska T., Biological effects of socio-economic changes in the rural environment of the Krosno province in 1967-1997 [in Polish]. Przegląd Antropologiczny, 1997, 60, 25-34.
- Malina R.M., Bouchard C., Growth, maturation and physical activity. Human Kinetics, Champaign 1999.
- Osiński W., Anthropomotorics [in Polish]. AWF, Poznań 2000.
- Simons J., Beunen G.P., Renson R., Claessens A.L.M., Vanreusel B., Lefevre J.A.V. (eds.), Growth and Fitness of Flemish Girls. The Leuven Growth Study. Human Kinetics, Champaign 1990.
- Mynarski W., The variability of the structure of motor abilities in children and growth [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 1998, 17, 63-96.
- Migasiewicz J., Selected manifestations of motor fitness of boys and girls aged 7-18 years in consideration of their morphological development. Postdoctoral dissertation [in Polish], AWF, Wrocław, Poland 1999.
- Drabik J., Physical activity and health: benefits and threats [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1999, 4, 121-133.
- Sławińska T., The role of environmental factors in motor development of rural children. Postdoctoral dissertation [in Polish]. AWF, Wrocław, Poland 2000.
- Wolański N., Environmental changes and man's biological development [in Polish]. Ossolineum, Warszawa 1983.
- Atlas of the Podkarpackie Province [in Polish]. Nowiny, 22 styczeń 2002, 15.
- Szopa J., In search of motor function structure: factor analysis of somatic and functional traits and fitness tests of boys and girls aged 8-19 years [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków 1988, 35.
- EUROFIT. European Test of Physical Fitness [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków 1991.
- Januszewski J., The usability of maximal anaerobic power (MAP) for assessment of girls' physical development and motor fitness [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 2001, 22, 105-114.
- Gołąb S., Cadel K., Kurnik G., Sobiecki J., Żarów R., Biological and social conditions of variability of physical development of children and adolescents from Nowa Huta (longitudinal research results). AWF, Kraków 1993, 53.
- Tanner J.M., Growth of adolescents [in Polish]. PZWL, Warszawa 1963.
- Milicer H., Somatic and motor development of boys at puberty [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1964, 3, 227-244.
- Żak S., Społeczne i pedagogiczne skutki zróżnicowanej aktywności ruchowej dzieci i młodzieży Social and pedagogical effects of physical activity at different levels in children and adolescents [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1994, 1, 3-22.
- Burdukiewicz A., Janusz A., Miałkowska J., Pietraszewska J., Pubertal spurt of growth and physical fitness in rural children aged 9-14 years [in Polish]. In: Człowiek wczoraj, dziś, jutro. UMCS, Lublin, 1998, 87-93.
- Welon Z., Bielicki T., The timing of adolescent growth spurts of 8 body dimensions in boys and girls of the Wrocław Growth Study. Studies in Physical Anthropology, 1997, 5, 75-79.
- Szklarska A., Społeczne różnice w sprawności fizycznej dzieci i młodzieży w Polsce Social differentiation of physical fitness of Polish children and adolescents [in Polish]. Monografie Zakładu Antropologii PAN, Warszawa, 1998, 17.
- Półtorak W., The significance of selected social and family factors for the morpho-functional development of adolescents at puberty from small towns and the countryside [in Polish]. Przegląd Naukowy Kultury Fizycznej Uniwersytetu Rzeszowskiego, 2006, 2, 166-178.
- Szopa J., Genetic and environmental conditions of somatic development of children aged 7-14 years. Family longitudinal research results [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków 1990, 42.
- Orlicz W., Social conditioning of physical fitness of Polish girls [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1996, 2, 3-10.
- Cieśla E., Genetic and environmental determinants of selected motor predispositions of children and adolescents from Kielce. Doctoral dissertation [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków, Poland 1998.
- Mleczko E., Ozimek M., Somatic and motor development of Kraków adolescents aged 15-19 in view of environmental factors [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie, AWF, Kraków, 2000, 14.
- Charzewski J., Przewęda R., Some social determinants of physical fitness and development of Polish children. In: Pilicz S. (ed.) Physical fitness development of children and adolescents [in Polish]. AWF, Warszawa, 1988, 36-58.
- Żak S., Fitness and coordination abilities of urban children and adolescents in view of selected somatic conditions and physical activity. Parts I and II [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków, 1991, 43.
- Sławińska T., Ignasiak Z., Assessment of body composition and physical fitness profile of rural children from Lower Silesia. In: Janusz A., Ignasiak Z. (eds.) Population of rural children in longitudinal research (Part II) [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie, AWF, Wrocław, 1994, 42.
- Ambroży T., Somatic and motor development of children and adolescents from selected regions of the Kraków Province in view of some environmental factors. Doctoral dissertation [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków 1997.
- Dutkiewicz W., Rural children [in Polish]. WSP, Kielce 1990.
- Nowocień J., Health-related effects of physical activity in the opinion of rural children. In: Diary of the National Symposium "Be healthy and happy at school and in the family" [in Polish]. Polskie Towarzystwo Higieny, Oddział w Łodzi, Łódz 1995, 54-60.
Publication order reference