Very High Concentration of D-Dimers in Portal Blood in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer
Languages of publication
Nowadays, increasing attention has been focused on relation between increased D-dimer levels and cancer among patients without detectable thrombosis.was to measure plasma D-dimer levels in portal and peripheral blood in pancreatic cancer patients with absence of venous thromboembolism.Material and methods. Fifteen consecutive patients hospitalized in the Department of General and Transplant Surgery of Medical University in Łódź, from January to March 2012 who underwent surgery due to a pancreatic cancer were enrolled. At laparotomy, portal and peripheral blood were sampled concurrently. D-dimer and fibrinogen levels were measured. Moreover, to investigate overall coagulation function prothrombin time (PT), prothrombin index (PI), international normalized ratio (INR), thrombin time (TT), activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT), TT and APTT index were evaluated.Results. Peripheral plasma D-dimmer levels above normal range were found in 10/15 patients (66,67%), whereas D-dimer above normal values were confirmed in all portal blood samples. Mean D-dimer values were higher in portal than in peripheral blood (3279.37 vs 824.64, by 297%, p=0,025). These discrepancies were accompanied by normal limits of portal and peripheral levels of fibrinogen and comparable coagulation function indexes.Conclusion. Our preliminary study showed the close relation between activation of hemostasis, reflected by elevated D-dimers in portal blood and presence of pancreatic cancer. These data suggest that measurement of portal blood D-dimer levels may be a potentially useful technique for screening the pancreatic cancer.
1 - 12 - 2012
28 - 12 - 2012
- 1. Michaud DS: Epidemiology of pancreatic cancer. Minerva Chir 2004; 59(2): 99-111.[PubMed]
- 2. Kędra B, Popiela T, Sierzega M et al.: Prognostic factors of long-term survival after resective procedures for pancreatic cancer. Hepatogastroenterol 2001; 48(42): 1762-66.
- 3. Tomimaru Y, Yano M, Takachi K et al.: Plasma D-dimer levels show correlation with number of lymph node metastases in patients with esophageal cancer. J Am Coll Surg 2006; 202: 139-45.
- 4. Yamashita H, Kitayama J, Kanno N et al.: Hyperfibrinogenemia is associated with lymphatic as well as hematogenous metastasis and worse clinical outcome in T2 gastric cancer. BMC Cancer 2006; 6: 147.[Crossref]
- 5. Gadducci A, Baicchi U, Marrai R et al.: Pretreatment plasma levels of and von Willebrand factor (vWF) in patients with operable cervical cancer: influence of surgical-pathological stage, tumor size, histologic type, and lymph node status. GynecolOncol 1993; 49: 354-58.
- 6. Dirix LY, Salgado R, Weytjens R et al.: Plasma fibrin D-dimer levels correlate with tumour volume, progression rate and survival in patients with 700 metastatic breast cancer. Br J Cancer 2002; 86: 389-95.
- 7. Lee JH, Ryu KW, Kim S et al.: Preoperative plasma fibrinogen levels in gastric cancer patients correlate with extent of tumor. Hepatogastroenterol 2004; 51: 1860-63.
- 8. Roche Y, Pasquier D, Rambeaud JJ et al.: Fibrinogen mediates bladder cancer cell migration in an ICAM-1-dependent pathway. Thromb Haemost 2003; 89: 1089-97.
- 9. O’Meara RA: Coagulative properties of cancers. Ir J Med Sci 1958; 394: 474-79.
- 10. Iwasaki T: Histological and experimental observations on the destruction of tumour cells the blood vessels. J Path Bact 1915; 20: 85.
- 11. Michaels L: Cancer incidence and mortality in patients having anticoagulant therapy. Lancet 1964; 2(7364): 832-35.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 12. Piccioli A, Falanga A, Baccaglini U et al.: Cancer and venous thromboembolism. Semin ThrombHemost 2006; 32: 694-99.
- 13. Blomback B, Hessel B, Hogg D et al.: A two-step fibrinogen-fibrin transition in blood coagulation. Nature 1978; 275: 501-05.
- 14. Bayes-Genis A, Mateo J, Santaló M et al.: DDimer is an early diagnostic marker of coronary ischemia in patients with chest pain. Am Heart J 2000; 140(3): 379-84.[Crossref]
- 15. Rege KP, Jones S, Day J et al.: In proven deep vein thrombosis, a low positive D-Dimer score is a strong negative predictor for associated malignancy. Thromb Haemost 2004; 91: 1219-22.
- 16. Paneesha S, Cheyne E, French K et al.: High D-dimer levels at presentation in patients with venous thromboembolism is a marker of adverse clinical outcomes. Br J Haematol 2006; 135: 85-90.[Crossref]
- 17. Khorana AA, Fine RL: Pancreatic cancer and thromboembolic disease. Lancet Oncol 2004; 5(11): 655-63.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 18. Wang ZH, Chang CC, Tai CJ: Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in pancreatic cancer. J Cancer Res Pract 2011; 27 (4): 171-76.
- 19. Schutgens RE , Beckers MM, Haas FJ et al.: The predictive value of D-dimer measurement for cancer in patients with deep vein thrombosis. Haematologica 2005; 90: 214-19.[PubMed]
- 20. Xu G, Zhang YL, Huang W: Relationship between plasma D-dimer levels and clinicopathologic parameters in resectable colorectal cancer patients. World J Gastroenterol 2004; 10: 922-23.[PubMed]
- 21. Lippi G, Franchini M, Biasiutti C et al.: Increased D-dimer value and occult cancer in the absence of detectable thrombosis. Haematologica 2007; 92(4): 53-55.[Crossref]
- 22. Ay C, Dunkler D, Pirker R et al.: High D-dimer levels are associated with poor prognosis in cancer patients. Haematologica 2012; 97(8): 1158-64.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 23. Khorana AA, Ahrendt SA, Ryan CK et al.: Tissue factor expression, angiogenesis, and thrombosis in pancreatic cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13(10): 2870-75.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 24. Palumbo JS, Talmage KE , Massari JV et al.: Platelets and fibrin(ogen) increase metastatic potential by impeding natural killer cell-mediated elimination of tumor cells. Blood 2005; 105(1): 178-85.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 25. Darwish AA, Sokal E, Stephenne X et al.: Permanent access to the portal system for cellular transplantation using an implantable port device. Liver Transpl 2004; 10: 1213-15.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 26. Hogendorf P, Durczyński A, Kumor A et al.: Prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) in portal blood in patients with pancreatic tumor - a single institution series. J Invest Surg 2012; 25(1): 8-13.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 27. Shibata T, Magari Y, Kamberi P et al.: Significance of urinary fibrin/fibrinogen degradation products (FDP) D-dimer measured by a highly sensitive ELISA method with a new monoclonal antibody (D-D E72) in various renal diseases. ClinNephrol 1995; 44(2): 91-95.
- 28. Spadaro A, Tortorella V, Morace C et al.: High circulating D-dimers are associated with ascites and hepatocellular carcinoma in liver cirrhosis. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14(10): 1549-52.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 29. Wang HY, Xiu DR, Li ZF et al.: Coagulation function in patients with pancreatic carcinoma. Chin Med J (Engl). 2009; 122(6): 697-700.
Publication order reference