Chest Injuries Based on Medical Rescue Team Data
Languages of publication
Injuries are the leading cause of death before the age of 40 years, and the third most common incidence of death worldwide after cardiovascular diseases and cancer.The aim of the study was to determine the number and type of chest injuries, based on EMS (Emergency Medical Service) documentation in the district of Otwock, with particular emphasis on patient age and gender at the time of injury.Material and methods. Analysis considered data obtained from medical rescue teams of Otwock County in 2009 concerning chest injuries.Results. The study group comprised 166 cases of chest injuries. Chest injuries were more often diagnosed in male patients. Most accidents occurred in the afternoon (between 1 and 6pm), and in the summer and winter seasons. Motor vehicle accidents and falls from heights were the most common cause of chest injuries, while the largest number of cases involved superficial chest injuries.Conclusions. Chest injuries accounted for 12% of all medical rescue team interventions, due to injuries, most often connected with superficial contusions of the chest wall. Rib fractures are usually caused by blunt chest injuries, most often relating to the V-VIII ribs. Fractures of the I-III ribs are rare and are evidence of a significant injury. Due to the flexibility of the thoracic wall, fractures in children are less common, as compared to the adult population. Most chest injuries occur in the afternoon during increased patient activity.
1 - 5 - 2012
4 - 7 - 2012
- Rokicki W, Rokicki M: Stłuczenie płuca jako problem diagnostyczno-leczniczy. Pol Przegl Chir 2002 Oct; 74(9): 837-43.
- Stahel PF et al.: Emergency management of thoracic trauma. Orthopade 2005; 34(9): 865-79.
- Sirmali M, Turut H, Topcu S et al.: A comprehensive analysis of traumatic rib fractures: morbidity, mortality and management. Eur J Cardiothoratic Surg 2003 Jul; 24(1): 133-38.
- Waydhas, C, Nast-Kolb D: Chest injury. Part I: Significance - symptoms - diagnostic procedures. Unfallchirurg 2006; 109(9): 777-84.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Mattox KL: Pre-hospital care of the patient with an injured chest. Surg Clin North Am 1989; 69(1): 21-29.
- Matuszczak E, Lenkiewicz T, Skobudzińska-Jaźwińska H: Urazy spowodowane pasami bezpieczeństwa, 2004 Mar; 3.
- Yalcinkaya I et al.: Chest trauma: analysis of 126 cases. Ulus Travma Derg 2006; 4: 288-91.
- Enderson BL, Maull KI: Missed injuries: the trauma surgeons nemesis. Surg Clin North Am 1991; 71: 399-418.
- Pezzella AT et al.: Cardiothoracic trauma. Curr Probl 1998; 35: 647-789.
- Lee C et al.: The pre-hospital management of chest injuries: a consensus statement. Faculty of Pre-hospital Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Emerg Med J 2007; 24(3): 220-24.
- Sanchez GP et al.: Scoop and run' strategy for a resuscitative sternotomy following unstable penetrating chest injury. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2010; 10(3): 467-68.[WoS]
- Papliński Z. Chirurgia klatki piersiowej - powstanie i rozwój. Pol Przegl Chir 2003 Mar; 75(3): 307-14.
- Liman ST, Kuzucu A, Tastepe AI et al.: Chest injury due to blunt trauma. Eur J Cardiothoratic Surg 2003 Mar; 23(3): 374-78.
- Huh J, Wall MJ Jr, Estrera AL et al.: Surgical management of traumatic pulmonary injury. Am J Surg 2003; Dec 186(6): 620-24.
- Elmistekawy E, M Hammad AA: Isolated rib fractures in geriatric patients. Ann Thorac Med 2007; 2(4): 166-68.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Rich J: Penetrating chest injury. Nursing 1993; 23(9): 33.[PubMed]
- Pirozhenko VV et al.: Diagnosis and treatment of complex closed chest injuries. Grud Serdechnososudistaia Khir 1992; 11-12: 47-49.
- Brongel L, Duda K: Mnogie i wielonarządowe obrażenia ciała. Biblioteka Chirurga i Anestezjologa - Wydawnictwo Lekarskie PZWL, Warszawa 2001.
- Morris J: Motor vehicle crash victim with chest injury. J Emerg Nurs 2004; 30(1): 91-93.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Trunkey DD: Torsion trauma. Curr Probl Surg 1987; 24: 209-65.
- Mayberry JC, Trunkey DD: The fractured rib in chest wall trauma. Chest Surg Clin N Am 1997; 7(2): 239-61.[PubMed]
Publication order reference