Usefulness of Electrosurgical Techniques in Thyroid Gland Surgery
Languages of publication
Wide propagation of new generation of electrosurgical devices such as bipolar vessel sealing systems (eg. Thermostapler® by EMED) enabled seamless closing of blood vessels with a diameter up to 7 mm while maintaining the necessary safety margin, as well as reducing the duration of the operation. We decided to verify these reports in our material.Aim of the study was comparison of thyroid surgery performed with the electrocautery tool - Thermostapler ® by EMED with surgery using classic hemostasis technique to evaluate the operative time and complications in the form of bleeding, recurrent laryngeal nerve paralysis, symptoms of hypoparathyroidism, and wound infection.Material and methods. We retrospectively analyzed 256 patients operated in the Department of General and Proctological Surgery Solec Hospital in Warsaw due to inert thyroid goitre. All patients underwent total thyroidectomy. Patients were divided into two groups. The first group consisted of 126 patients operated in 2000, using classic techniques of hemostasis. While the second group consisted of 130 patients operated in 2007-2008 with Thermostapler®. We compared duration of surgery and the incidence of postoperative complications.Results. The operative time was significantly shorter (average 18 minutes) in the second group of patients. We also recorded a statistically significant decrease in the incidence of complications in the group operated with Thermostapler.Conclusions. Use of bipolar vessel sealing system in a decisive manner shortens the duration of operation. Use of bipolar vessel sealing system also enables a radical reduction in the incidence of complications rate such as bleeding, recurrent laryngeal nerve paralysis, symptoms of hypoparathyroidism, and wound infection. In the future, similar studies should be performed to assess the real costs resulting from the use Thermostapler®.
1 - 5 - 2012
4 - 7 - 2012
- Greenspan FS, Gardner DG.: The thyroid gland. W: Greenspan FS, Gardner DG (red.) Basic and Clinical Endocrinology. Wyd. 6. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2001; s. 201-73.
- Thompson NW, Nishiyama R H, Harness J K: Thyroid carcinoma: current controversies. Curr Probl Surg 1978; 15: 1-67.
- Puchalski Z, Dzienis K, Malinowska L i wsp.: Wskazania do operacji i wyniki chirurgicznego leczenia wola u chorych w starszym wieku. Pol Przegl Chir 1976; 48: 1079-84.
- Clark O, Lewin K, Zeng Q: Thyroid cancer: the case for total thyroidectomy. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 1988; 24: 305-13.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Puchalski Z, Piotrowski Z, Okulczyk J i wsp.: Niektóre problemy chirurgicznego leczenia wola. Pol Przegl Chir 1982; 54: 5-8.
- Kalinyak JE, McDougall IR: How should the dose of iodine-131 be determined in the treatment of Graves' hyperthyroidism? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88: 975-77.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Malinowski A, Pawłowska N, Wojciechowski M: Użycie bipolarnego systemu zamykania naczyń Thermostapler® w histerektomii pochwowej. Ginekol Pol 2008; 79: 850-55.
- Shen WT, Baumbusch MA, Kebebew E i wsp.: Use of the electrothermal vessel sealing system versus standard vessel ligation in thyroidectomy. Asian J Surg 2005 Apr; 28(2): 86-89.[Crossref]
- Manouras A, Lagoudianakis EE, Antonakis PT et al.: Electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system is a safe and time-saving alternative to classic suture ligation in total thyroidectomy. Head Neck. 2005 Nov; 27(11): 959-62.
- Lepner U., Vaasna T: LigaSure vessel sealing system versus conventional vessel ligation in thyroidectomy Scand J Surg 2007; 96: 31-34[PubMed]
- Lachanas VA, Prokopakis E P, Mpenakis AA et al.: The use of Ligasure Vessel Sealing System in thyroid surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005 Mar; 132(3): 487-89.
- Petrakis IE, Kogerakis NE, Lasithiotakis KG et al.: LigaSure versus clamp-and-tie thyroidectomy for benign nodular disease. Head Neck. 2004 Oct; 26(10): 903-09.
- Alesina PF, Rolfs T, Walz MK: Bipolar thermofusion vessel sealing system (TVS) versus conventional vessel ligation (CVL) in thyroid surgery-results of a prospective study. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2010 Feb; 395(2): 115-19.[WoS]
- Cipolla C, Graceffa G, Sandonato L et al.: LigaSure in total thyroidectomy. Surg Today. 2008; 38(6): 495-98.[Crossref][WoS]
- Parmeggiani U, Avenia N, De Falco M: Major complications in thyroid surgery: utility of bipolar vessel sealing (LigaSure Precise). G Chir 2005 Oct; 26(10): 387-94.[PubMed]
- Saint Marc O, Cogliandolo A, Piquard A : Liga-Sure vs clamp-and-tie technique to achieve hemostasis in total thyroidectomy for benign multinodular goiter: a prospective randomized study. Arch Surg 2007 Feb; 142(2): 150-56; discussion 157.[WoS]
- Pons Y, Gauthier J, Ukkola-Pons E et al.: Comparison of LigaSure vessel sealing system, harmonic scalpel, and conventional hemostasis in total thyroidectomy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009 Oct; 141(4): 496-501.[WoS]
Publication order reference