Serum Cystatin C in Relation to Fat Mass Loss After Bariatric Surgery"
Languages of publication
Serum cystatin C concentration, generally accepted as renal function marker, is associated with cardiovascular risk and metabolic syndrome. Recent studies indicate that cystatin C increases in human obesity and that adipose tissue contributes to enhanced serum cystatin C concentration in obese subjects.The aim of the study was to assess whether a reduction in body and fat mass after bariatric surgery has any impact on serum cystatin C concentrations.Material and methods. Serum from 27 obese patients were tested before and 6 months after bariatric surgery. Twenty healthy subjects with normal body weight served as controls. Serum cystatin C concentrations were assayed by ELISA.Results. Serum cystatin C concentrations were significantly higher in obese patients compared with non-obese subjects. Decrease of body and fat mass after bariatric surgery resulted in improvement of several parameters associated with cardiovascular risk and metabolic syndrome, like serum lipids, blood pressure and insulin sensitivity. Surprisingly the mean postoperative serum cystatin C concentration was not significantly different from that before surgery. Serum creatinine and GFR also remained unchanged.Conclusion. The results presented here suggest that serum cystatin C concentration is not tightly associated with body and fat mass loss in obese patients after bariatric surgery.
1 - 4 - 2012
14 - 6 - 2012
- Filler G, Bokenkamp A, Hofmann W et al.: Cystatin C as a marker of GFR - history, indications, and future research. Clin Biochem 2005; 38: 1-8.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Ognibene A, Mannucci E, Caldini A et al.: Cystatin C reference values and aging. Clin Biochem 2006; 39: 658-61.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Stevens LA, Coresh J, Schmid CH et al.: Estimating GFR using serum cystatin C alone and in combination with serum creatinine: a pooled analysis of 3,418 individuals with CKD. Am J Kidney Dis 2008; 51: 395-406.[WoS]
- Xia LH, Bing XG, An XT: Serum cystatin C assay for the detection of early renal impairment in diabetic patients. J Clin Lab Anal 2004; 18: 31-35.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Mueller TF, Raeder J, Oettl K et al.: Cystatin C does not detect acute changes in glomerular filtration rate in early diabetic nephropathy. Ren Fail 2008; 30: 21-29.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Vinge E, Lindergard B, Nilsson-Ehle P et al.: Relationships among serum cystatin C, serum creatinine, lean tissue mass and glomerular filtration rate in healthy adults. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1999; 59: 587-92.[Crossref]
- Prigent A: Monitoring renal function and limitations of renal function tests. Semin Nucl Med 2008; 38: 32-46.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Shlipak MG, Sarnak MJ, Katz R et al.: Cystatin C and the risk of death and cardiovascular events among elderly persons. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 2049-60.
- Sarnak MJ, Katz R, Stehman-Breen CO. et al.: Cystatin C concentration as a risk factor for heart failure in older adults. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142: 497-505.
- O'Hare AM, Newman AB, Katz R et al.: Cystatin C and incident peripheral arterial disease events in the elderly: results from the Cardiovascular Health Study. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165: 2666-70.
- Shlipak MG, Katz R, Sarnak MJ et al.: Cystatin C and prognosis for cardiovascular and kidney outcomes in elderly persons without chronic kidney disease. Ann Intern Med 2006; 145: 237-46.
- Retnakaran R, Connelly PW, Harris SB et al.: Cystatin C is associated with cardiovascular risk factors and metabolic syndrome in Aboriginal youth. Pediatr Nephrol 2007; 22: 1007-13.[Crossref][PubMed][WoS]
- Luc G, Bard JM, Lesueur C et al.: Plasma cystatin-C and development of coronary heart disease: The PRIME Study. Atherosclerosis 2006; 185: 375-80.
- Wasen E, Isoaho R, Mattila K et al.: Serum cystatin C in the aged: relationships with health status. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 42: 36-43.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Knight EL, Verhave JC, Spiegelman D et al.: Factors influencing serum cystatin C levels other than renal function and the impact on renal function measurement. Kidney Int 2004; 65: 1416-21.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Ichihara K, Saito K, Itoh Y: Sources of variation and reference intervals for serum cystatin C in a healthy Japanese adult population. Clin Chem Lab Med 2007; 45: 1232-36.
- Muntner P, Winston J, Uribarri J et al.: Overweight, obesity, and elevated serum cystatin C levels in adults in the United States. Am J Med 2008; 121: 341-48.[Crossref][WoS]
- Naour N, Fellahi S, Renucci JF et al.: Potential contribution of adipose tissue to elevated serum cystatin C in human obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2009; 17: 2121-26.[WoS][Crossref]
- Zabrocka L, Raczynska S, Goyke E et al.: BMI is the main determinant of the circulating leptin in women after vertical banded gastroplasty. Obes Res 2004; 12: 505-12.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Sledzinski T, Goyke E, Smolenski RT et al.: Decrease in serum protein carbonyl groups concentration and maintained hyperhomocysteinemia in patients undergoing bariatric surgery. Obes Surg 2009; 19: 321-26.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Levey AS, Stevens LA, Schmid CH et al.: A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150: 604-12.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS: Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 1972; 18: 499-502.[PubMed]
- Matthews DR, Hosker JP, Rudenski AS et al.: Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 1985; 28: 412-19.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Bult MJ, van Dalen T, Muller AF: Surgical treatment of obesity. Eur J Endocrinol 2008; 158: 135-45.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Sledzinski T, Sledzinski M, Smolenski RT et al.: Increased serum nitric oxide concentration after bariatric surgery - a potential mechanism for cardiovascular benefit. Obes Surg 2010; 20: 204-10.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Hall JE: The kidney, hypertension, and obesity. Hypertension 2003; 41: 625-33.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Bueter M, Dubb SS, Gill A et al.: Renal cytokines improve early after bariatric surgery. Br J Surg 2010; 97: 1838-44.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Mussap M, Dalla VM, Fioretto P et al.: Cystatin C is a more sensitive marker than creatinine for the estimation of GFR in type 2 diabetic patients. Kidney Int 2002; 61: 1453-61.
- Van Den Noortgate NJ, Janssens WH, Delanghe JR et al.: Serum cystatin C concentration compared with other markers of glomerular filtration rate in the old old. J Am Geriatr Soc 2002; 50: 1278-82.
- Fricker M, Wiesli P, Brandle M et al.: Impact of thyroid dysfunction on serum cystatin C. Kidney Int 2003; 63: 1944-47.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Manetti L, Pardini E, Genovesi M et al.: Thyroid function differently affects serum cystatin C and creatinine concentrations. J Endocrinol Invest 2005; 28: 346-49.[PubMed]
- Risch L, Herklotz R, Blumberg A et al.: Effects of glucocorticoid immunosuppression on serum cystatin C concentrations in renal transplant patients. Clin Chem 2001; 47: 2055-59.[PubMed]
Publication order reference