Endoscopic Ultrasonography (EUS) in Preoperative Staging of Gastric Cancer - Demand and Reality
Languages of publication
Exact pretherapeutic staging is considered to be essential for decision-making in the therapeutic algorithm of gastric cancer.The aim of the study was to characterize the role and value of EUS in the diagnostic and therapeutic management of gastric cancer in daily surgical practice.Material and methods. Thousand one hundred thirty nine patients with primary gastric cancer from 80 hospitals of each profile of care were enrolled in this systematic clinical prospective multicenter observational study over a time period of 12 months. The characteristics of the diagnostic management, in particular, of EUS were documented. The preoperative EUS findings were compared with the T stage (T1 to T4) and the N category (N+ or N-) revealed by the histopathologic investigation of the surgical specimen. By the mean of X2 test, the impact of EUS on the therapeutic decision-making was determined.Results. Pretherapeutic EUS was only performed in 27.4% (n=312) of all patients. Overall, the diagnostic accuracy for the T stage was 42.6% in average. The subgroup analysis showed the following results: T1, 31.5%; T2, 42.6%; T3, 65.2%; T4, 17.6%. The correct predictive value of the N category was 71.3% reaching a sensitivity of 69.7% and a specificity of 73.3%. Overstaging was observed in 45.8%, understaging in only 10.8%. Additional diagnostic information by EUS was only provided in 4.7% of subjects.Conclusions. The present study indicates the variability, limited reliability and only moderate acceptance of EUS in diagnosing gastric cancer in daily practice. In particular, the prediction of the T stage does not reach the data reported in the literature, which were mostly achieved in specific EUS studies.
1 - 2 - 2012
28 - 5 - 2012
- Chen CH, Yang CC, Yeh YH: Preoperative staging of gastric cancer by endoscopic ultrasound: the prognostic usefulness of ascites detected by endoscopic ultrasound. J Clin Gastroenterol 2000; 35(4): 321.
- Hunerbein M, Handke T, Ulmer C et al.: Impact of miniprobe ultrasonography on planning of minimally invasive surgery for gastric and colonic tumors. Surg Endosc 2004; 18(4): 601.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Javaid G, Shah OJ, Dar MA et al.: Role of endoscopic ultrasonography in preoperative staging of gastric carcinoma. ANZ J Surg 2004; 74(3): 108.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Xi WD, Zhao C, Ren GS: Endoscopic ultrasonography in preoperative staging of gastric cancer: determination of tumor invasion depth, nodal involvement and surgical resectability. World J Gastroenterol 2003; 9(2): 254.[PubMed]
- Yan C, Zhu ZG, Zhu Q et al.: A preliminary study of endoscopic ultrasonography in the preoperative staging of early gastric carcinoma. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi 2003; 25(4): 390.
- Willis S, Truong S, Gribnitz S et al.: Endoscopic ultrasonography in the preoperative staging of gastric cancer: accuracy and impact on surgical therapy. Surg Endosc 2000; 14(10): 951.[Crossref]
- Mancino G, Bozzetti F, Schicci A et al.: Preoperative endoscopic ultrasonography in patients with gastric cancer. Tumori 2000; 86(2): 139.[PubMed]
- Nattermann C, Dancygier H: Endosonography in diagnosis and staging of malignant tumors of the stomach. A prospective comparative study between endosonography, computerized tomography and conventional ultrasonography. Z Gastroenterol 1993; 31(12): 719.[PubMed]
- Bosing N, Schumacher B, Frieling T et al.: Endoscopic ultrasound in routine clinical practice for staging adenocarcinomas of the stomach and distal esophagus. Chirurg 2003; 74(3): 214.[PubMed]
- Meining A, Dittler HJ, Wolf A et al.: You get what you expect? A critical appraisal of imaging methodology in endosonographic cancer staging. Gut 2002; 50(5): 599.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Meining A, Rosch T, Wolf A et al.: High interobserver variability in endosonographic staging of upper gastrointestinal cancers. Z Gastroenterol 2003; 41(5): 391.[PubMed]
- Meyer L, Steinert R, Nowak L et al.: Prospective multicenter trial of gastric cancer surgery - a contribution to clinical research on quality control. Zentralbl Chir 2005; 130(2): 97.[Crossref]
- Bottcher K, Roder JD, Busch R et al.: The epidemiology of stomach carcinoma from the surgical viewpoint. The results of the German Stomach Carcinoma Study 1992. The German Stomach Carcinoma Study Group. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 1993; 118(20): 729.
- Roder JD, Bottcher K, Siewert JR et al.: Prognostic factors in gastric carcinoma. Results of the German Castric Carcinoma Study 1992. Cancer 1993; 72(7): 2089.
- Wittekind C, Wagner G (eds): TNM-Klassifikation maligner Tumoren. 5th ed. Berlin Heidelberg New York: Springer; 1997.
- Grundmann RT, Hölscher AH, Bembenek A et al.: Diagnosis of and therapy for gastric cancer - work flow. Zentralbl Chir 2009; 134(4): 362.[Crossref][PubMed]
Publication order reference