Long-term Results of Breast Reduction in Female-to-Male Transsexuals
Languages of publication
Transsexualism is considered to be an extreme end in a large group of gender identity disorders. Two main types of transsexualism are identified: male-to-female (MtF) and female-to-male (FtM). Transsexual persons have a feeling of being incarcerated in a foreign body and therefore they wish to change their sex by hormone therapy and surgical treatment. Breast reduction usually is the first procedure in the process of surgical reassignment in FtM transsexual persons.The aim of this study was to evaluate the long-term results of breast reduction in FtM transsexual persons, taking into account breast size and surgical technique. The doctors' and patients' opinions about the results were also compared.Material and methods. The study was carried out in a group of 98 FtM transsexual persons treated at the Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. Evaluation of the long-term results of breast reduction was performed based on clinical examination done by the doctors and a questionnaire filled in by the patients and the surgeons.Results. Good results of breast reduction were achieved in more than 60% of the examined patients operated on mainly by Webster technique.Conclusions. Clinical examination of the long-term results of breast reduction in FtM transsexual persons revealed good aesthetic effects. The doctors' and the patients' opinions were similar.
1 - 2 - 2012
28 - 5 - 2012
- Gooren L: The biology of human psychosexual differentiation. Horm Behav 2006; 50: 589-601.
- Dulko S: Fenomen transseksualizmu. Problemy terminologiczne. Post Psychiatr Neurol 1993; 2: 235-243.
- Antoszewski B, Kasielska A, Jędrzejczak M et al.: Knowledge of and attitude toward transsexualism among college students. Sex Disabil 2007; 25: 29-35.
- Monstrey S, Hoebeke P, Dhont M et al.: Surgical therapy in transsexual patients: a multi-disciplinary approach. Acta Chir Belg 2001; 101: 200-09.
- Kruk-Jeromin J: Problemy chirurgicznego leczenia transseksualistów. Pol Przeg Chir 1991; 63: 867-70.
- Selvaggi G, Ceulemans P, De Cuypere G et al.: Gender identity disorder: general overview and surgical treatment for vaginoplasty in male-to-female transsexuals. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005; 116: 135e-45e.
- Jarrar K, Wolff E, Weidner W: Long-term outcome of sex reassignment of male transsexual patients. Urologe A 1996; 35: 331-37.
- Trombetta C, Liguori G, Pascone M et al.: Total sex-reassignment surgery in female-to-male transsexuals: a one-stage technique. BJU Int 2002; 90: 754-57.
- Hage JJ, Bouman FG, de Graaf FH et al.: Construction of the neophallus in female-to-male transsexuals: the Amsterdam experience. J Urol 1993; 149: 1463-68.
- Zielinski T: Phalloplasty using a lateral groin flap in female-to-male transsexuals. Acta Chir Plast 1999; 41: 15-19.
- Hage JJ, van Kesteren PJ: Chest-wall contouring in female-to-male transsexuals: basic considerations and review of the literature. Plast Reconstr Surg 1995; 96: 386-91.
- Monstrey S, Selvaggi G, Ceulemans P et al.: Chest-wall contouring surgery in female-to-male transsexuals: a new algorithm. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008;121: 849-59.
- Hage JJ, Bloem JJ: Chest wall contouring for female-to-male transsexuals: Amsterdam experience. Ann Plast Surg 1995; 34: 59-66.
- Colic MM, Colic MM: Circumareolar mastectomy in female-to-male transsexuals and large gynecomastias: a personal approach. Aesthetic Plast Surg 2000; 24: 450-54.
- Takayanagi S, Nakagawa C: Chest wall contouring for female-to-male transsexuals. Aesthetic Plast Surg 2006; 30: 206-12.
Publication order reference