Analysis of Factors Influencing Patient Satisfaction with Hospital Treatment at the Surgical Department
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to determine factors responsible for patient satisfaction after treatment at the surgical department.Material and methods. The study was conducted in six health care units, which were divided into two groups: Group I: 3 hospitals with the number of beds exceeding 400, and Group II: 3 hospitals with the number of beds below 400. The study group comprised 180 patients, 30 from each of the hospitals. The authors' used the Servqual method and questionnaire with 30 questions relating to five areas characteristic of medical service. Apart from the above-mentioned we also took into consideration hospital personnel: their qualifications and salary, hospital equipment, patient hospitalization costs, and indicated by the patient - the reason for his/her satisfaction or dissatisfaction with hospitalization. Results were subject to statistical analysis.Results. The results indicated that the factors pertaining to costs, especially those related to living conditions and also those related to empathy, personnel competence, and their communication with the patient had very significant influence on patient satisfaction with his/her hospitalization. Fulfilling the patient's needs considering the functional quality increases the patient's comfort, and as a consequence translates into satisfaction with the hospitalization.Conclusions. Considering both groups of hospitals the surgical departments did not entirely fulfill the patient's expectations, and there is a need for improvement in this area. The main reason for the negative feelings of patients included worse than expected living conditions, sporadic contact with physicians and lack of information concerning the course of therapy.
1 - 2 - 2012
28 - 5 - 2012
- Eckert H, Resch KL: Quality management -quo vadis? Perspectives for quality management in hospitals. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 2003; 97: 219-26.
- Bacon CT, Mark B: Organizational Effects on Patient Satisfaction in Hospital Medical-Surgical Units. J Nurs Adm 2009; 39: 220-27.[Crossref][WoS]
- Ballem P: Guaranteeing accountability for quality care. Health Pap. 2007; 7: 61-65.[PubMed]
- Mark B, Salyer J, Wan T: Profesional nursing practice: Impact on organizational and patient outcomes. J Nurs Adm 2003; 33: 224-34.[Crossref]
- Wojtczak A: Kierunki Reform opieki zdrowotnej w świetle uzgodnień "Podstolika Zdrowie" obrad Okrągłego Stołu (w XX rocznicę Obrad Okrągłego Stołu). Prawo i M edycyna 1/2009, 34 vol. 11, 23-32.
- Hargraves JL, Wilson IB, Zaslavsky A: Adjusting for patients characteristics when analyzing reports from patients about hospital care. Med Care 2001; 39: 635-41.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Jaipaul CK, Rosenthal GE: Are older patients more satisfied with hospital care than younger patients?. J Gen Intern Med 2003; 18: 23-30.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Rahmqvist M, Bara AC: Patient characteristics and quality dimensions related to patient satisfaction. Int J Qual Health Care 2010; 22: 86-92.[Crossref][PubMed][WoS]
- Breckenkamp J, Wiskow C, Laaser U: Progress on quality management in the German health system - a long and winding road. Health Res Policy Syst 2007; 5: 7.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Carman JM: Patient Perceptions of Service Quality: Combining the Dimensions. J Manage Med 2000; 14: 339-56.[Crossref]
- Gvozdanowić D, Koncar M, Kojundzić V: National healthcare information system in Croatian primary care: the foundation for improvement of quality and efficiency in patient care. Inform Prim Care 2007; 15: 181-85.
- Hickman BM: Quality: The New Healthcare Imperative. Healt Finan Manage 2007; 61: 90-95.
- Meg C, Fabian T, Steven R et al.: Correlates of patient satisfaction with physician visit: Differences between elderly and non-erderly survey respondents. Health Qual Life Out 2007, 5: 62.[WoS]
- Łepecka-Klusek C, Wdowiak A, Pilewska-Kozak A i wsp.: Determinanty wyboru ośrodka leczenia operacyjnego. Zdr Publ 2009; 119 (4) 383-86.
- Lutz SL, Root D: Nurses Consumer Satisfaction and Pay for Performance. Health Finans Manage 2007; 61: 57-63.
- Ouschan R, Sweeney J, Lester J: Customer empowerment and relationship outcomes in healthcare consultations. Eur J Mark 2006; 40: 1068-86.
- Quintana JM, Gonzalez N, Bilbao A et al.: Predictors of patient satisfaction with hospital care. BMC Health Serv Res 2006, 6: 102.[Crossref]
- Sandoval GA, Brown AD, Sullivan T et al.: Factors that influence cancer's patients' overall perceptions of the quality of care. Int J Qual Health Care 2006, 18: 266-274.[Crossref]
- Garman AN, Gracia J, Hargreaves M: Patient Satisfaction as a Predictor of Return-to-Provider Behavior: Analysis and Assessment of Financial Implications. Qual Manage Health Care 2004; 13: 75-80.[Crossref]
- Otani K, Waterman B, Faulkner KM et al.: Patient Satisfaction: Focusing on Excellence. J Health Manage 2009, 54: 93-103.
- Scotti DJ, Harmon J, Behson J: Links Among High-Performance Work Environment Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction: An Extension to the Healthcare Sector. J Health Manage 2007; 52: 109-25.
- Hausman A: Modeling the patient-physician service encounter: improving patient outcomes. J Acad Mark Sci 2004; 32: 403-17.[Crossref]
- Zandbelt LC, Smets E, Oort J et al.: Medical Specialists' Patient-Centered Comunication and Patient Reported Outcomes. Medical Care 2007, 45: 330-39.[WoS][Crossref]
- Sechrest RC: The Internet and Physician-Patient Relationship. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010: 468 2566-71.
- Studer Q: How Healthcare Wins with Consumers Who Want More. Front Health Serv Manage 2003; 19: 3-16[PubMed]
- Syed SA, Nazlee S, Shahjahan K: Patient satisfaction with health services in Bangladesh. Health Policy and Planing 2007, 1-11.[WoS]
- Lee KJ: A Practical Method of Predicting Client Revisit Intention in Hospital Setting, Health Care Manage Rev 2005 30: 157-67.[Crossref]
- Nunn CA: Map Quest for Quality: We Must Find a Balance Between What is Good for the Patient, the Organization. Modern Healthcare 2007; 37: 20.[PubMed]
- Ovretveit J: Total Quality Management in European Healthcare. Int J Health Care Qua Assur 2000; 13: 74-79.
- Selberg JD: The Quest for Quality. Hosp Health Net 2007; 81: 70
- Boyer L, Francois P, Doutre E et al.: Perception and use of the result of patient satisfaction surveys by care providers in a French teaching hospital. Int J Qual Health Care 2006; 18: 356-64.
- Young G, Meterko M, Desai K: Patient satisfaction with hospital care: Effect of demographic and institutional characteristics. Med Care 2000; 38: 325-34.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Boscarino JA: Patient's Perception of Quality Hospital Care and Hospital Occupancy: are there Biases Associated with Assessing Quality Care Based on Patients. Perceptions International Journal for Quality in Health Care 1996, 8, No. 5, 467-77.
- Boscarino JA: The public's perception of qualityhospitals II: implications for patient surveys. Hospital and Health Services Administration 1992; 37: 13-35.
- Boscarino JA, Steiber SR: Hospital Shopping and Consumer Choice. Journal of Health Care Marketing 1982; 2: 15-23.
- Huber E: Health care reform as a development of the health care system. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 2007; 101(6): 397-406.
- Wodchis WP, Teare GF, Anderson GM: Cost and quality: evidence from Ontario long term care hospitals. Med Care 2007; 45(10): 981-88.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Birhanu Z, Assefa T, Woldie M et al.: Determinants of satisfaction with health care provider interactions at health centres In central Ethiopia: a cross sectional study. BMC Health Service Research 2010, 10: 78, 1-12.[WoS]
- Girma A: Quality Assessment of directly observed treatment short course of Tuberclosis in Afar national regional state. Ethiopian public health association. Extract No 5 2008; 7-10.
- Montaglione CJ: The physician-patient relationship: cornerstone of patient trust, satisfaction, and loyalty. Manag Care Q 1999; 7(3): 5-21.[PubMed]
- Moorman C, Zeltman G, Deshpande R: Relationship between providers and users of marketing research: the dynamic of trust within and between organization. J Mark Res 1992; 29: 314-29.[Crossref]
- Zandbelt LC, Smets E et al.: Satisfaction with the Outpatient Encounter. A Comparison of Patient's and Physicians' Views. J Gen Intern Med 2004; 19: 1088-95.[Crossref]
- Javalgi RG, Whipple TW, McManamon MK et al.: Hospital image: a correspondence analysis approach. J Health Care Mark 1992; 12 (4): 34-41.
- Levine AS, Plume SK, Nelson EC: Transforming patient feedback into strategic action plans. Qual Manag Health Care 1997; 5: 28-40.[PubMed]
- Parente DH, Pino MB, Barber JC: A Pre-Post Comparison of Service Operational Efficiency and Patient Satisfaction Under Open Access Scheduling. Health Care Management Review 30(3): 2005; 220-28.[PubMed][Crossref]
Publication order reference